Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It boggles my mind why they put these dinky little horns stock on bikes, it's almost embarrassing having to hit it, and the FZ isn't guilty of this alone!

Anyone have a good horn replacement / suggestion?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i wish they could make a truck horn compact enough to fit on a motorcycle. There's nothing worse than getting cut off and using the horn that sounds about as intimidating as a fart.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
if you look at the thread "what have you done to your bike today" Stuarth post # 332 talks about a horn replacement.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Roger replaced his I believe

·
Registered
192 Posts
I dont know if I can explain this right, but I dont know if a powerful horn is a great idea. You honk it, and people expect soemthign BIG! Not looking for a motorcycle thats carrying a big horn. May not have any reason to think this, but I got that feeling when mine was on.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've been telling my wife for years I want to get the horn from a supertanker under my car. Something that will blow out the windows of idiots who insist on hogging the fast lane on the highways. I'd also like a speaker so I can shout instructions and obscenities at the clinically stupid while driving in the city. :p

·
Registered
206 Posts
saw this on aerostich's site - i have a soft spot for buying anything with the word "cannon" in the product description.

Ear Cannon Air Horn :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
In a panic stop I never had a chance to hit the horn. I wouldn't mind having a different type of tone however. Anyone tried putting one of these little air horns? Looks too big to me.Stebel Nautilus Compact Motor Bike Air Horn Black 139nu ll 12Vo ltMotorcyc leLo | eBay
both horns are stiebels. You can split the trumpet from the compressor, trumpet underneath generator cover and the compressor under the seat.
http://thetenerist.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/img_8012.jpg

·
Registered
206 Posts
I dont know if I can explain this right, but I dont know if a powerful horn is a great idea. You honk it, and people expect soemthign BIG! Not looking for a motorcycle thats carrying a big horn. May not have any reason to think this, but I got that feeling when mine was on.
I couldn't disagree with this more.
I've been running the stieble horns on all my bikes for the last 10 years, and they do their job very well.
That's the whole point. They expect something big, and if they are coming across your lane, they stop their stupid move and get out of the way.

I also use it when entering intersections of left hand turners, a quick bleep gets their attention.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I replaced the left switch with a Triumph switch. Not the easiest mod as some wires need to be extended, but well worth it- especially if you have other bikes with normal switch placement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any photos?

I wonder if Stebel Airhorn (even the compact version could survive mounted to the original horn bracket (i.e. when the front fork is closed all the way)

1 - 20 of 79 Posts