Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have the cortech sport 2.0 saddlebags which are similar to those. The 09 has a unique tail section that doesn't lend itself as well to using these types of bags. You can make it work but it looks awkward and the bags, no matter how high you tighten them up, can rub on the rear tire if your rear shock compresses too much. I use it in a pinch still but I prefer not to for that reason.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
^I have Firstgear Onyx saddlebags because they were the largest I could find. Then, realized that the tail section was lower than expected so bags would touch the rear tire. I tried a few things- like a inspired version of the SW motech mounts...working on a different idea preparing for another long-ish two-up trip. But there are some ingenious solutions here like a rod connected to the rear fender and the footpeg brackets- under $10! I am looking for a design which will allow me to tie two fuel cans/tool tubes if needed using a universal saddlebag holder and a bracket inspired from the Givi set up. All comes down to what you want to do.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I had a set of the older version of the Motocentric on the FZ6R. Good bags for the $$$. The thing with soft saddle bags is the you need back support and trash bags to keep things dry...

·
Registered
654 Posts
WP_20150426_009.jpg
Shad 36L hard side cases are amazing

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Moto centric saddlebags and Nelson rigg tail pack. A little fiddling to get it right but I like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they hold just fine but i have a smaller tank bag than that and dont like it because it crowds you.
Really? Seems like you're not all hunched over like on a crotch rocket so I didn't think it would really get in the way too much?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gotcha yeah I could see that crowding you up a little bit. My thing is if ol girl is on back that's why I would like tank bag and saddlebags

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was looking at these saddlebags and wondering how it will fit or if anyone has other ones in mind. I am also going to get a tank bag. I will be going on some long trips so could use some storage space.

MotoCentric Mototrek Sport Saddlebags - Motorcycle Superstore
I have this set they work good but I added a cross bar of metal to help keep them from sagging into the rear tie. I just recently purchased the Yamaha soft-bag rails http://www.motorcyclegoodies.com/product/20532/fz-09-soft-saddlebag-mounting-kit which are a even better way to keep them out of the rear wheel well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
635 Posts
Good idea, but wow that is more expensive than the bags themselves haha...
A 24" to 36"L X 1 1/2- 2" W piece of new/scrap flat iron/aluminum bent to shape will keep the bags out of the wheel well, just slide the grabber/cushion strap onto it so it does not scratch then tighten up the velcro and tie down straps over it all. It works good I just wanted a cleaner install and had money to burn.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A 24" to 36"L X 1 1/2- 2" W piece of new/scrap flat iron/aluminum bent to shape will keep the bags out of the wheel well, just slide the grabber/cushion strap onto it so it does not scratch then tighten up the velcro and tie down straps over it all. It works good I just wanted a cleaner install and had money to burn.
To me, I have learned sometimes it is worth spending the extra money to make sure everything works and fits properly and still looks good. You do get what you pay for!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts