Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the way my new niner muffler looked, until I started riding it. Now with a little water and dirt it looks pretty bad. Has anyone tried painting the big box? What did you use and has it stayed on?

Thanks,
Keith.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hi Keith,
I painted mine with some rattle can, high-temp paint from O'Reilly's auto parts. Made by VHT.,"Flame Proof" is the name of it and it claims to withstand 1300-200F heat. So far, so good. It's lasted over a year and the only touch ups required are from when I accidentally caught it on the corner of the driveway curbing backing it out one morning. (I didn't hit the oil pan, luckily!!)
While some folks have gone as far as to remove the entire exhaust to paint it, I only removed the outlet cover and then masked off everything around the muffler with paper and blue painter's tape.

-eddie
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

PS: Prep work consisted of degreasing with denatured alcohol and then lightly scuffing it with a green Scotchbrite pad. I let it cure over night before riding it again.

Reactions: Tigershark

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Keith,
I painted mine with some rattle can, high-temp paint from O'Reilly's auto parts. Made by VHT.,"Flame Proof" is the name of it and it claims to withstand 1300-200F heat. So far, so good. It's lasted over a year and the only touch ups required are from when I accidentally caught it on the corner of the driveway curbing backing it out one morning. (I didn't hit the oil pan, luckily!!)
While some folks have gone as far as to remove the entire exhaust to paint it, I only removed the outlet cover and then masked off everything around the muffler with paper and blue painter's tape.

-eddie
View attachment 14545

PS: Prep work consisted of degreasing with denatured alcohol and then lightly scuffing it with a green Scotchbrite pad. I let it cure over night before riding it again.
Great! Thanks for the tip - this is definitely on my list for next weekend!

Thanks again!

Reactions: edgyver

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Just painting the cover is a big improvement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts