Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been interested in these things forever and I have a good chance to scoop up and 18 model with 4500k around for around 2k. Looks well taken care of, no mods I can see and just some slightly knobby tires.

I live in a small town with lots of 30mph zones and would love one of these to cruise on, but was looking for input from any of you guys whether it's any good or not.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Groms are real fun, my buddy let's me rip his around from time to time. It's all hooked up as a mini stunt bike, super fun. Go for it but, I would offer like $1700. You can buy brand new ones for around $3000.

·
Registered
502 Posts
4500 is a lot of miles on a Grom, no?

Reactions: Darf

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen a few up around 10k and theres a guy on their forum with 18k. I'd probably beat it until it exploded and throw a 250 in it.

Kid has it listed for 2300, but like you said new ones are 3k. We'll see, maybe hes motivated to sell because of the Rona.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've seen a few up around 10k and theres a guy on their forum with 18k. I'd probably beat it until it exploded and throw a 250 in it.

Kid has it listed for 2300, but like you said new ones are 3k. We'll see, maybe hes motivated to sell because of the Rona.
Two things I know.

1. The worst thing he can say (to your offer) is 'No'.
2. There are always more bikes. Always.

If this 'Rona market isn't a buyer's market, I don't know what is. My guess is that a significant numbers of cycle dealers will not last through this. They'll be begging for customers.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My other option is a leftover 18 R3 they have listed for 3799, thinking I might be able to walk out with it for 3500 cash, but a grom seems more fun and I need something to smoke stupid shit with.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My other option is a leftover 18 R3 they have listed for 3799, thinking I might be able to walk out with it for 3500 cash, but a grom seems more fun and I need something to smoke stupid shit with.
Those R3s are nice but you can do better than 3.5K OTD, IMHO. I bet the dealership will be glad you actually took the time to CALL. That bike is costing them money every day.

Reactions: Jaronv74

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Our dealership is booming. My buddy is the service manager so I talk with him frequently. Stopped in yesterday and service was slammed and they were moving units.

If you already have a big bike I would skip the R3 and get the grom, they’re loads of fun. I had a Z125 for two years and Our race group has 6 guys with groms at the track. At that price who cares you’re not really risking anything, buy it, ride it, if you don’t like it sell it for what you paid for it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good shit keeps turning up around me every day, 2013 Fz6r with 4k, I could probably get him down to $2500 or so....

So many choices...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Take a look at the Benelli tnt 135. An extra 10cc and an extra gear for cheaper. The supplier I was talking to told me 70mph stock. There's a local kart track not to far from me and me and a few buddies have been talking about getting them to race around the little track.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take a look at the Benelli tnt 135. An extra 10cc and an extra gear for cheaper. The supplier I was talking to told me 70mph stock. There's a local kart track not to far from me and me and a few buddies have been talking about getting them to race around the little track.
I had a look at one of those, very solid looking for something with a chinese origin Haha. With the way people are basically giving away bikes up here I might need to buy a small hangar, I was saving for the eventual new MT10, but that might end up becoming my funding for a few other bikes!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Grom squad! Got the grom, they’re tons of fun, great gas mileage especially if you’re putting around in lots of 30 mph zones. I’ve had 5 bikes, 3 currently, and my grom is probably my favorite to ride. Currently riding 35 minutes to work one way and average speed is 55, although I’ve hit 68 downhill, full tuck, empty backpack etc. lol

as someone above mentioned the plan is ride it until it blows up and then do an engine swap. Easy to upgrade and do it yourself and you can get away with murder on them if wheelies is your thing.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,660 Posts
My son’s dream bike is a “Rossi” yellow/green Grom (I think this was around a 2016 model). But he hasn’t seen the Benelli yet...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grom squad! Got the grom, they’re tons of fun, great gas mileage especially if you’re putting around in lots of 30 mph zones. I’ve had 5 bikes, 3 currently, and my grom is probably my favorite to ride. Currently riding 35 minutes to work one way and average speed is 55, although I’ve hit 68 downhill, full tuck, empty backpack etc. lol

as someone above mentioned the plan is ride it until it blows up and then do an engine swap. Easy to upgrade and do it yourself and you can get away with murder on them if wheelies is your thing.
Strangely enough, I was watching videos with some friends about starting a grom squad last night. I have a lot of convincing to do. My buddy who swears his R6 is the fastest best bike ever doesnt see the fun in a small bike like a grom because it "doesn't do 150" yet he low sides twice a year, but that's a different story haha.

They guy with the 18 wouldn't budge from 2300, and I actually said I could just buy a benelli tnt for $300 more.

My son’s dream bike is a “Rossi” yellow/green Grom (I think this was around a 2016 model). But he hasn’t seen the Benelli yet...

View attachment 158770

View attachment 158771
Your son and I have similar taste, I can't even find a benelli that color in stock near me!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Only get the Grom if you have a couple other friends that have them. They are only fun if in a group of Groms. One guy on a gixxer and the Grom sucks. In a pack or not at all.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
383 Posts
Only get the Grom if you have a couple other friends that have them. They are only fun if in a group of Groms. One guy on a gixxer and the Grom sucks. In a pack or not at all.
I'm just going to buy one for each member of my household so I have an instant squad

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I can find one of those green benelli TNTs it's a done deal haha. I'm the one man wolf pack, I can get in trouble all by myself :cool:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had a look at one of those, very solid looking for something with a chinese origin Haha. With the way people are basically giving away bikes up here I might need to buy a small hangar, I was saving for the eventual new MT10, but that might end up becoming my funding for a few other bikes!
I believe the benneli is italian

Correction... Originally Italian. Now Italian designed and Chinese manufactured

1 - 20 of 28 Posts