Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going back and forth with the flash. I actually like the on/off switch Standard mode response. People who are getting the flash done seem to like it. We have off today so I'm going to call the local dealer and see if they even have the flash.

Do any of you like the on/off response and want to keep it?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think eventually I will do it. Seems like the dealers are just getting the info. I've tried to convince myself that it's not that bad, but it is. I do like the crisp response in A mode but in traffic I wish Standard was smoother. I suppose I could try B mode but seems silly to dial down the power when that's what I bought it for.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm passing on it because I have a custom tune made through Nels, why ruin that? :p

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm going back and forth with the flash. I actually like the on/off switch Standard mode response. People who are getting the flash done seem to like it. We have off today so I'm going to call the local dealer and see if they even have the flash.

Do any of you like the on/off response and want to keep it?
Personally I hated it. This on/off jerkiness compounded with the soft stock suspension upsets the bike's position and made it very challenging to be smooth in corners.

I have the Stoltech flash, and will not flash over it unless I have a compelling reason to do so .

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Personally I hated it. This on/off jerkiness compounded with the soft stock suspension upsets the bike's position and made it very challenging to be smooth in corners.

I have the Stoltech flash, and will not flash over it unless I have a compelling reason to do so .
I too have the Stoltech Flash and can't imaging flashing over it, unless the New flash includes authentic BBQ recommended by Nick. :cool:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Im not. I have no problem with the throttle, I mainly ride in STD mode anyway, I like being able to twist the throttle when in A mode and it give me that HOLY [email protected]&KING SH*T feeling, I guess its a rush thing for me!!!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
you know you can get a flash without the throttle mapping included...and that an ecu flash changes far more than just the throttle response. to not get it because of one thing is, an uninformed decision.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I think most aren't getting it for a myriad of reasons. Honestly, Yamaha is still bound by emissions rules, so there will still be fuel cut and there is no mention of them addressing engine braking etc... The nice thing about the vcyclenut flash is that you get to customize your flash, customize each ride mode, and if you like you can opt for a fuel map for an aftermarket exhaust. It isn't one size fits all.

When Stoltec was flashing, they achieved some impressive gains with the stock exhaust, because they aren't bound by emissions rules.

If I'm going to take the time to flash my ECU, I'd prefer to have it flashed as I see fit, not what Yamaha thinks I want.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I already have the custom Stoltec Moto flash too, so mine will stay as-is.

You guys who say you have "no problem" with the jerky throttle must never roll on the throttle mid-corner, nor hit any bumps mid-corner that would make your wrist jerk the throttle. I guess if you are always cornering with closed throttle then it might be okay, I just can't imagine that being the case. For drag racing or pure straight line riding the OEM jerkiness was fine, and I also kinda liked the snap on wheelies it provided, but not at the cost of cornering instability.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I've actually found that carrying throttle through a corner helps with the abrupt throttle... If you are off, then on, I can see this being a problem as the jerk occurs. However, I always corner under load, so I've not really noticed the unsettled nature of the bike. I only ride in A mode too.

Now is it very on/off? Yes. I thought my Triumph was bad, this is worse, I just never experience it in a corner.

I think Yamaha is late to the party with the flash, and I think the aftermarket flashes are better, because they don't have to adhere to the same performance crippling rules that Yamaha does,

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
My plan is to have the factory reflash done.

Thus far I have not had an aftermarket reflash done.

If I like the factory reflash less than the OEM maps that are there now, then I will have the ECU reflashed by someone else.

I can't imagine anyone liking the stock set up without at least minimizing the mechanical slop as I have done. The throttle still has some abruptness but is much better than how it was delivered. Like Fizzerpilot, I rarely close the throttle in corners, I just roll off slightly, and that makes the bike much smoother.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I've actually found that carrying throttle through a corner helps with the abrupt throttle... If you are off, then on, I can see this being a problem as the jerk occurs. However, I always corner under load, so I've not really noticed the unsettled nature of the bike. I only ride in A mode too.
Definitely, power off in the corner is bad. I pretty much always ride race lines and race style all the time, it's just ingrained in my brain (not race pace on the street, or course). Off the gas or neutral heading to the apex, start rolling the throttle on at or shortly before apex, roll it the rest of the way open to exit. Obviously that's just in general, exceptions always happen. I drive my car the same way, without even thinking about it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree with those who spent money for a reflash not to and I'am still on the fench because I like it like it is, one thing I wonder about is if it helps the gas range any ? Seems like the guys who have had it done love it and think the power is the same just easier to ride .RR :cool::

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I agree with those who spent money for a reflash not to and I'am still on the fench because I like it like it is, one thing I wonder about is if it helps the gas range any ? Seems like the guys who have had it done love it and think the power is the same just easier to ride .RR :cool::
I'm going to have mine flashed next week while the headlight wire recall gets tended to. Why not?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I already have the custom Stoltec Moto flash too, so mine will stay as-is.

You guys who say you have "no problem" with the jerky throttle must never roll on the throttle mid-corner, nor hit any bumps mid-corner that would make your wrist jerk the throttle. I guess if you are always cornering with closed throttle then it might be okay, I just can't imagine that being the case. For drag racing or pure straight line riding the OEM jerkiness was fine, and I also kinda liked the snap on wheelies it provided, but not at the cost of cornering instability.

Now is it very on/off? Yes. I thought my Triumph was bad, this is worse, I just never experience it in a corner.

I think Yamaha is late to the party with the flash, and I think the aftermarket flashes are better, because they don't have to adhere to the same performance crippling rules that Yamaha does,
My plan is to have the factory reflash done.

Thus far I have not had an aftermarket reflash done.

If I like the factory reflash less than the OEM maps that are there now, then I will have the ECU reflashed by someone else.

I can't imagine anyone liking the stock set up without at least minimizing the mechanical slop as I have done. The throttle still has some abruptness but is much better than how it was delivered. Like Fizzerpilot, I rarely close the throttle in corners, I just roll off slightly, and that makes the bike much smoother.

I roll off the throttle too during corners- not a sudden off-on- been fine so far without any scares. The throttle slack was one of the first things that I fixed. I do sometimes feel that little abruptness in the lower gears but more than 99% I never feel any jerkinesss and carry the throttle smoothly, straight or corners. Due to the nature of my city, i usually shift in lower revs which probably helps too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I feel unstable when i hit a corner off power, I always power up coming out of a corner, and I ride high r.p.m.'s, the only time ive noticed the jerkiness is when going over speedbumps, slow...I am use to a throttle like on the fz though from previous bikes, I have always used quick throttle tubes on my bikes is why i guess it doesnt bother me....

1 - 20 of 79 Posts