Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around for alternatives to expensive tools for this as I am almost at 600 miles and the manual says I should be syncing the TB's at 600. Has anyone tried to make their own, and have you had success? Here is an example of one I found.

**mods, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm new and wasn't sure where to put it**

·
Registered
350 Posts
I used a similar setup to synch my twin. Works ok but water is too light, suggest using ATF instead of colored water. Even then it is difficult to synch because it is very sensitive. But it works. Starbucks coffee bottles work good cause they are the right size, thick, and squared off.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what happens if the fluid is too light? It bubbles or something? What about engine oil?

·
Registered
350 Posts
No bubbles, it is just too hard to adjust. Adjust the carbs (or throttle bodies) a tiny bit, levels in the bottles change too much too fast with water. Remember, regular manometers used mercury, heavy stuff. And all the standards are based on that. Using a heavier liquid works better. For example, using colored water there was no way to adjust at any rpm over idle. Just couldn't do it; levels in the jars would change too fast. That's why I advise adjusting at idle. Track boys will argue otherwise. For my money, this is about getting smooth idle.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks for the advice. I will use something heavier than water. I will post back once I get it worked out.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if the bottle type will be less sensitive because of the larger volume of fluid.

·
Registered
473 Posts
IMG_201404094619 (1).jpg

I bought 3 of these vac gauges for syncing. I connected them to a piece of wood. You have to use some vacuum restriction devices or the gauge needles just bounce around too much. I know there are more accurate methods. All about $

·
Registered
619 Posts
I too have a morgan carbtune that I bought back in y2k for my zrx1100. it works great, and far easier than messing around with bottles and hoses.

amazon carries the motionpro syncpro for $77.
or this dial guage 519NAX2mIrL.jpg model for $64.50

I'm always happy to have an excuse to buy tools.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Made this two years ago for my FZ1; Simple enough to modify for the 3-cylinder (Just need to block the 4th tube). The 5th tube is used for refilling with a syringe as well as a small reservoir of fluid.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Skooter, what fluid did you use in yours? Did you have issues with sensitivity?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I made one a few years ago, was easy to build but ultimately just too touchy for my tastes. I ponied up the dough for a Morgan Carbtune and have never regretted it:

www.carbtune.com
View attachment 9738

I bought 3 of these vac gauges for syncing. I connected them to a piece of wood. You have to use some vacuum restriction devices or the gauge needles just bounce around too much. I know there are more accurate methods. All about $
I too have a morgan carbtune that I bought back in y2k for my zrx1100. it works great, and far easier than messing around with bottles and hoses.

amazon carries the motionpro syncpro for $77.
or this dial guage View attachment 9739 model for $64.50

I'm always happy to have an excuse to buy tools.
Thanks for the options guys. I was trying to find a way to avoid buying those.
I have bottles at my house I can use, so a few hoses and fittings shouldn't cost more than $10 or so I wouldn't think.
If I can't make it work I will likely buy one of those shown.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Skooter, what fluid did you use in yours? Did you have issues with sensitivity?
I actually used Marvel Mystery Oil (Very Visible, Cheap, and it won't hurt anything if it get sucked into the port). It is a little bit on the light side but I compensated by using longer tubes than you typically see. No issues with sensitivity; just make sure you have some flow restrictors installed (I used these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-47311?seid=srese1&gclid=CIrW0fKW9cACFSpp7AodIHMAjQ).

All in all, I think this cost me about $25.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah so, my homemade one didn't work so well. Had leaks in the system. Looks like I will be buying one after all. Oh well it was a fun project.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just bought a Morgan Carbtune. Thanks for the advice fellas. Sometimes you get the cookie, and sometimes it gets you. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts