Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It finally happened to me. I parked my bike in the sun for about 20 minutes with a full tank of 91 octane Shell gas and when I returned, it took a good 4-5 cranks before it sputtered on. This was in 85F weather. It was kind of embarrassing because a bunch of people were checking out my bike when I walked up to it. How do I take care of this issue without causing harm to the rest of the bike? Will removing the emissions stuff void my warranty?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
it is easy to remove the carbon cannister and other parts.

Trace the hoses, two go to the tank, the rest are vacuum hoses.

Set the two hoses to the tank to be overflow hoses - just allow them to dangle where the current drain hose is or you can simply T the 3 hoses together under the tank and have a 4th hose dangle off as a drain.

follow the vacuum hoses to their ends, remove the hoses and cap the connection. There are 2 (IIRC) vacuum check valves inline in the vacuum lines. Remove the check valves as well.

remove the carbon canister.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is easy to remove the carbon cannister and other parts.

Trace the hoses, two go to the tank, the rest are vacuum hoses.

Set the two hoses to the tank to be overflow hoses - just allow them to dangle where the current drain hose is or you can simply T the 3 hoses together under the tank and have a 4th hose dangle off as a drain.

follow the vacuum hoses to their ends, remove the hoses and cap the connection. There are 2 (IIRC) vacuum check valves inline in the vacuum lines. Remove the check valves as well.

remove the carbon canister.
Thank you guys so much! Especially you Lucky Devil. Any idea on warranty issues with this work being done? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
For this mod to have any affect on the warranty, the issue would have to be directly related to the EVAP system.

That being said, I kept everything so if I end up needing it for some reason I can reinstall it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've havn't had that problem so far but have two friends that have , one is a st1300 and the other is a fjr all they do is open the fuel cap before they start the bike , doing this lets the pressure out of the system it might be worth a try seeings how its free and easy to try , good luck RR:cool:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I've havn't had that problem so far but have two friends that have , one is a st1300 and the other is a fjr all they do is open the fuel cap before they start the bike , doing this lets the pressure out of the system it might be worth a try seeings how its free and easy to try , good luck RR:cool:
Opening their fuel cap to help start means that their carbon canister is plugged up, usually with fuel, and therefore is useless and no longer capable of absorbing fuel vapors. They may as well remove it because it serves no emissions function any longer.

Reactions: Tonester71
1 - 7 of 7 Posts