Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this is the latest bike to take the moto world by storm. I am not sure how many of you here are hardcore adventure riders or even think about ADV riding, but this bike from China is making waves for the ADV crowd. It costs under $3000 as an introductory offer and comes with everything one can need for touring-and I mean everything. Granted it is a 250cc single but seems more than capable for what it is made to tackle. I see immense potential for this new kid in town.
The RX-3 Cyclone

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
If it weren't for any brand recognition I'd consider that my winter and bad weather commuting bike for sure.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would place my bets on a used KLR or DR. Have you seen those chinese scooters on craigslist? Durability is the key for ADV riding....

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yeah, no thanks..... they will last about 1 year before needing to be thrown away like yesterdays trash .

The Chinese quads and pit bikes are some of the worst pieces of shit I have ever laid my hands on.

Reactions: Davinci and CB024

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would place my bets on a used KLR or DR. Have you seen those chinese scooters on craigslist? Durability is the key for ADV riding....
100% agree! I will never again buy any Chinese knock off no matter how good the reviews are. I learned my lesson buying my wife a kymco scooter after everyone raved about how great they were. Dealer sucked and so does the scooter. Now I cant give the thing away. The biggest waste of $2800 I have ever done. Money would have been better spent on a Friday night bash of strip club hoppin and drinking myself stupid. I'd still be $2800 lighter but at least I would've had a good time doing it.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
And.......off we go to the "Other Bikes" section. It really isn't that hard to figure out that "other bikes" belong in the "Other Bikes" section!!! :confused:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm not even sure a Chinese bike qualifies as an "other bike". Chinese crap belongs in the "Agricultural Equipment" section.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
570 Posts
Quote from the importer:

We think a 250cc motorcycle is the perfect size for real world adventure touring,” Seidner said. “The bike has a sensible saddle height (31.3 in.), it can cruise at highway speeds all day long, it has comfortable ergonomics, and it has the right ground clearance and tires for off-road explorations. We didn’t want to offer another “me, too” 700-lb adventure bike that requires a 38-inch inseam and costs as much as a new car."

Yeah right...

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I'm not even sure a Chinese bike qualifies as an "other bike". Chinese crap belongs in the "Agricultural Equipment" section.
True that..........but we don't have that section to move it to! :cool:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would reserve judgement on quality after actual road testing and ownership experiences. A lot of other reviews in Europe were skeptical but hopeful. As am I.
Just because something is made in China or other "third world countries", does not automatically make it bad. Yes, historically they have been questionable but they are improving fast. For example, look at the KTMs from India or CBRs from Thailand or even the 650 Beemer engines from China. I think people like pick on the smaller bikes but from personal experience, when the going gets rough, its the small bikes that always win.
People forget that, once upon a time, when Harleys & BMWs were synonymous with motorcycles, this is how the Western people thought of the Japanese brands too...

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I'm not saying that they won't improve their quality with time, but at the present, a lot of the Chinese stuff is junk...pure and simple.

·
Registered
168 Posts
well might have to get use to china quality because the quantity of stuff they make increase by the day and we just keep on buying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
386 lbs seems a little heavy for a 250cc bike........

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
386 lbs seems a little heavy for a 250cc bike........
Yea, my wife's new FZ07 weighs in at 397 gassed up and ready to ride......~700ccs

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Here is my take on the Chinese bikes:

Before about 1970, most of the Japanese bikes were pitifully flimsy and the metallurgy was crap. I recall many older friends and my older brother having issues with bending the swingarms where the axle is carried as that thin plate was just too weak. These bikes were all sub 200cc dual sports from Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda.

Fast forward a few years and the Japanese had some of the best bikes made, street or dirt.

About 10-15 years ago we started getting Korean bikes from Hyosung. They were knock-offs of Japanese bikes and were a bit rough on the edges but they worked. Their down fall was poor parts supply and they were not terribly reliable.

Now, a couple of the Hyosung bikes are pretty decent and reliable for the money. Still not in the class of the Japanese but getting there. I have a couple of GT250Rs on my range and they are doing very well even with the abuse meted out by my students each week.

A couple of years back we purchased a couple of Chinese DR200 clones in SM trim for range bikes. They looked great out of the crate.

They were cheap at about $2500 each. DR200/250s are about double that.

After a couple of years, the Chinese bikes are not doing very well. They don't track straight because the frame and/or the swingarm is bent right at the swingarm pivot, on both bikes.

The DR200s we had before are still going strong but look even more ragged than 2 years ago.

My experience with the Chinese bikes is that they are disposable items at this point. Don't expect a lot out of them or a long service life and you will be fine. If you compare them to an "equivalent" displacement and style bike from the big 4, it costs 1/2 the price and is no where near as well made.

Given BMW's and KTM's activities in China and India, I expect we will be seeing a lot better quality bikes coming out of China in the next few years.

BTW, KTM's new 390 is made in India and as mentioned above, BMW is building engines in China.

I believe the big 4 have been building some of their engines in China for some time.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Given how affordable the bike is I'm tempted to buy one just to play with. Worse case I use it as alternate commuter bike since it would be at least 60 mpg or more on the highway.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Maybeso? OTOH, many of the cell phones we use are made in C? Lenovo computers are doing OK? Alibaba just did an IPO for billions? So K; Malaysia, Thailand, India, Vietnam, Mexico, Brazil, etc, etc... we buy from everywhere... Our trade deficit is runing about $40-50 Billion/month... $600 Billion/year... how long can that continue... it's been this high for a long time though... C, BRIC are loving it.

Reactions: motorock

·
Registered
154 Posts
Those things have like 20hp...

I had an extremely modded DR350 with about 35whp and it was a GREAT bike, but it was no adventure bike, as going over 70 took far too much effort. I did a 1200 mile ride on it, while the bike did it, it was tiring...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts