Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I just ordered a set of the brand new AI block off plates from Driven Racing. Will post up results once they are installed....but I was wondering what other brands you all are using to get rid of the backfiring and popping after installing an aftermarket exhaust?

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
From what I understand, if you have any stoltec flash you dont even need the block off plates because he disabled the AIS. Thats what im counting on. Will let you know this weekend when I install my M4.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Quick fix is to bock the hose on the LF side of the airbox. I rode like that for a while... was fine. I got the Grave BOP when they got available.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Glad to see that Driven has BOP released, now they just need to hurry up with their rear sets.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I ordered Graves. I would base my purchase on price not looks as once installed you will rarely if ever see them again. You could even use the stock plates and just plug the holes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was going to install block off plates until I realized it would get rid of the orgasmic exhaust popping on deceleration.
It will only be a problem for you if you wan't to get a tune done. I'm with you I kind of liked the sound but it is no more on my bike.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've got the m4 slip on and the Stoltec flash. I don't have any decel popping, and am not running the plates.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Could someone explain all of this to me. Block off plate, AI, ect. My reason is, I am planning on doing an M4 exhaust and want to under stand what causes the back firing when the exhaust is changed. How do the block off plates fix this in theory.

Also I may do the Stoltec flash as well (all work planned for late spring) So I may not even need to be concerned about back firing and popping correct?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Could someone explain all of this to me. Block off plate, AI, ect. My reason is, I am planning on doing an M4 exhaust and want to under stand what causes the back firing when the exhaust is changed. How do the block off plates fix this in theory.

Also I may do the Stoltec flash as well (all work planned for late spring) So I may not even need to be concerned about back firing and popping correct?
Unfortunately Stoltec flash is no more. You can read more about that in his ecu thread.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Your carberator is set up with the stock exhaust... If you change exhaust it is not mixxing fuel to air ratio the same so blocking off a portion of air intake box compensates the change so it can mix a proper ammount of fuel with the air and prevent the combustion within exhaust.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Your carberator is set up with the stock exhaust... If you change exhaust it is not mixxing fuel to air ratio the same so blocking off a portion of air intake box compensates the change so it can mix a proper ammount of fuel with the air and prevent the combustion within exhaust.

We are fuel injected, not carbureted and I believe it has to do with the extra air the air injection system pumps into the exhaust via a port in the head when you're off throttle, but im a car mechanic so i could be way off.

·
Registered
833 Posts
We are fuel injected, not carbureted and I believe it has to do with the extra air the air injection system pumps into the exhaust via a port in the head when you're off throttle, but im a car mechanic so i could be way off.
no, you are way closer than the above post. It has nothing to do with the AFR. It is the AIS system.

·
Registered
654 Posts
getting the vcyclenut flash next week, disabling the AI is an option from him, so no plates needed

1 - 20 of 34 Posts