Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 MT09 SP
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for my R6 dedicated track bike and posting time here would not be useful as they are in EU. I consider myself a mid to fast intermediate rider and depending on the track I can run in the fast group. I have been using a combination of Metzeler/pirelli slicks but a local raceshop here recommended the Michelin Power Cup 2 that they run on their ZX10R. I was wondering if anybody here had experience with these tires as I dont think I need a high-end racing slick and the local trackday provider offers great deals on the tires in combination with booking the events!

Warmup time is not an issue as I would use warmers anyway. Would be great to hear from you.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I have not, but I have seen several of the other guys in the paddock running them.
The way I see it... you really can't go wrong. If the price is good, give them a shot and report back your experience.
Tires these days are astounding.

·
Super Moderator
5,773 Posts
I retired from Coaching/Instructing with a large Track Day organization here in the US, back in 2017. I ran the Power Cups back then (4+ years ago) and that is basically the one tire I used when it first came out and all the way until I stopped doing the track. The tire was definitely top notch, but....it was VERY temperamental about the pressure that you needed to run. Especially the rear tire. If you didn't get the right pressure (hot pressure) in the tire while riding, you would see significant tearing issues, especially on high speed sweepers. The sweet spot for hot pressure coming off the track was 25 psi. If you are using warmers (you said you were), I would heat soak the tire as much as possible before going out. If I remember correctly, optimum temperature, as taken with a probe type pyrometer was like 190-210 degrees F. I ended up buying both a probe pyrometer and a Longacre tire gauge for accuracy. My tire gauge was calibrated to be within 1/2 of 1% accurate. That accuracy equates to .15 psi if the tire is inflated to 30 psi....pretty darned accruate. If you get the pressure correct, they were unbelievably sticky. And even if you got it wrong, they were still very sticky, but you could go through a tire pretty quickly because of the tearing. Hope this helps and BTW, I obviously have not used the Power Cup II.....so I don't know if that tire is basically just like the original Power Cup. If it is, it is one hell of a great tire.

Reactions: Dante and DNFDOUG

·
Registered
2021 MT09 SP
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I retired from Coaching/Instructing with a large Track Day organization here in the US, back in 2017. I ran the Power Cups back then (4+ years ago) and that is basically the one tire I used when it first came out and all the way until I stopped doing the track. The tire was definitely top notch, but....it was VERY temperamental about the pressure that you needed to run. Especially the rear tire. If you didn't get the right pressure (hot pressure) in the tire while riding, you would see significant tearing issues, especially on high speed sweepers. The sweet spot for hot pressure coming off the track was 25 psi. If you are using warmers (you said you were), I would heat soak the tire as much as possible before going out. If I remember correctly, optimum temperature, as taken with a probe type pyrometer was like 190-210 degrees F. I ended up buying both a probe pyrometer and a Longacre tire gauge for accuracy. My tire gauge was calibrated to be within 1/2 of 1% accurate. That accuracy equates to .15 psi if the tire is inflated to 30 psi....pretty darned accruate. If you get the pressure correct, they were unbelievably sticky. And even if you got it wrong, they were still very sticky, but you could go through a tire pretty quickly because of the tearing. Hope this helps and BTW, I obviously have not used the Power Cup II.....so I don't know if that tire is basically just like the original Power Cup. If it is, it is one hell of a great tire.
Thanks for your input, i have a pyrometer and a decent pressure gauge, but probably not as accurate as yours. I am pretty sure michelin has improved on the power cups with the new version. I think I will try a set and report back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts