Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adjusted the stock CCT once last year. Now at 5300 mi. chain a little noisy so put the allen wrench in and it will not turn the adjuster ether way with engine running and can't feel any vibration in the wrench at all. Just ordered a APE PRO.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Can you explain how the stock CCT actually works...how how in theory it should work? If its auto...what's with an adjustable screw?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Its auto..that adjustment screw you are turning is only there to lock it in a open state so it can be removed then when reinstalling the unit tighten the unit on the motor then reinstall tool to release the tensioner

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Well, I knew its auto (or should I say suppose to be); so does the auto feature (using oil pressure) turn an adjustment screw to the correct tension, and the screw is suppose to be unable to back out? I'm just trying to understand how Yamaha designed this item. Obviously it doesn't quite work as intended. Does that huge thread somewhere explain the intended concept?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Abe is correct.

The tensioner is hydraulic. When oil pressure comes up it extends to proper tension.

That's why you will sometimes hear extra cam chain noise on start up before oil pressure comes up to extend the tensioner.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
So if the screw is only there to "lock it open" for removal, what's the point of turning it when its been installed and engaged on the bike? Turning the screw is still "adjusting" the tension...even though the tension is suppose to be adjusted by oil pressure during run time? Sorry for the question and confusion, but to me its either one or the other, but it shouldn't be both. Seems like a simple spring would have been better...along with perhaps a more robust chain that doesn't stretch as much.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Turning the screw either retracts or extends the plunger. When done manually, and if not locked in place with a set screw, it will automatically readjust itself into a position of tension. The problem with these CCT's is that in many cases the plunger will stick in a position of too loose tension causing the rattle as the cam chain slaps against the guide. There is a spring surrounding the plunger, but the plunger is the main tensioning piece in the CCT, with the spring helping to support that tension. Agreed they are a crappy and bizarre design...

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
So under normal operation, the oil pressure pushes the plunger (which also turns the screw??) ...thus moving the guide into a correct tension position. When the motor is shut down, the plunger should (in theory) still remain in position...and I assume that's the purpose of the screw..to prevent plunger from moving back. So if a CCT is sticking and acting up, wouldn't the best procedure be of "turning the screw back and forth slightly", thus not really changing the overall plunger position, but moving it enough to free its stuck position...and thus allowing the oil pressure to apply correct tension when running?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Your theory is sound, but for some unknown reason once it starts sticking, tightening/loosening the screw has little to no effect on the sticking plunger. Way over complicated piece of engineering...

image.jpg

·
Registered
93 Posts
So I'm still confused as to how this works. How does it self adjust with oil pressure if the screw is also used to adjust?
I did notice when I moved my screw a bit it was moving as I rev the engine. So when oil pressure is adjusting it automatically it's also turning the screw? So adjusting the screw is pointless as oil pressure will change it anyway?
The only think the screws good for is if the plunger gets stuck and turning it to unstick it?

Also the above photo. How are these different? Has one been modified?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I'm still not convinced that the stock CCT is a hydraulically assisted tensioner. .it looks nothing like any of the ones I've seen...and I've seen plenty

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The Stock CCT compared to the APE CCT is simply a pc of crap. Yamaha should have scrapped their CCT or improved on its design years ago -- It's Nothing to be proud of.:(

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
So I'm still confused as to how this works. How does it self adjust with oil pressure if the screw is also used to adjust?
I did notice when I moved my screw a bit it was moving as I rev the engine. So when oil pressure is adjusting it automatically it's also turning the screw? So adjusting the screw is pointless as oil pressure will change it anyway?
The only think the screws good for is if the plunger gets stuck and turning it to unstick it?

Also the above photo. How are these different? Has one been modified?
The one on the left shows a fully extended CCT with the set screw mod in place, and is an earlier version of the CCT as indicated by the slightly thicker bottom of the plunger, the one on the right shows a fully compressed CCT with the Allen bolt adjuster in place as it comes from Yamaha when ordering a replacement-a revision of the original indicated by the slightly thinner bottom of the plunger-and both are pretty much POS in my opinion(trust me, I've had both versions).

As to operation, the adjusting screw sits atop a half nut that makes contact with the top of the plunger, and yes, if you adjust the Allen screw inside without locking the adjustment in place with a set screw, it will automatically re-adjust itself to whatever position it thinks is correct tension-and therein lies the issue with these things...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
APE CCT is worth it's weight in gold.:cool:

Reactions: cza888

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
As to operation, the adjusting screw sits atop a half nut that makes contact with the top of the plunger, and yes, if you adjust the Allen screw inside without locking the adjustment in place with a set screw, it will automatically re-adjust itself to whatever position it thinks is correct tension-and therein lies the issue with these things..
But if the issue is that the plunger gets "stuck" which then results in excessive cam chain slack (and thus noise), the cause of the "sticking" needs to be resolved by Yamaha. I like the concept of a CCT that applies only the needed tension, and does so automatically. I wonder what "real changes" were made to the different versions to address the true issue of a sticking plunger or a plunger that fails to properly move into position. The answer might be "none".

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well I ordered an ape. The Yamaha one went loose again after 5km but then I adjusted it again and it's been ok for about 50km. Not worrying about it anymore. Hurry up ape!!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The APE CCT has been on my bike the longest I believe and I never had to adjust it. Still run very quiet... ;)

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've got over 16k on mine, 11k with the APE. It has only been adjusted at time of install. Like Marthy's, mine's still quiet. Thanks again Marthy for initially posting all the CCT info, and the APE install tutorial.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts