Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a helmet lock/bracket on eBay that attaches under the seat and is basically a flat hook for the d ring of a helmet. Anyone have experience with these? Do they secure the helmet well enough that somebody couldn't remove it w/o cutting the strap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sorry to make thread go sideways. I have no experience with that one. But I would encourage you to google motion pro helmet locks. Sorry I can't paste link from my phone for some reason. If you grab the one from fleabay make sure you post up a review please.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
One of our forum members designed this back when the bike was first introduced. The DYI is on a thread here somewhere. It requires removing the seat every time you need to use it. Simple, effective, but a pain to use.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
One of our forum members designed this back when the bike was first introduced. The DYI is on a thread here somewhere. It requires removing the seat every time you need to use it. Simple, effective, but a pain to use.
If a thief wants your helmet enough he may just grab the seat and give it a yank upward, knowing seat locks aren't the strongest. If he's successful the helmet will be gone and the lock no longer working. I don't thing cutting straps is an option for thieves as the straps are not replaceable. Am I wrong?

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
558 Posts
That's almost identical to the factory ones on my dad's Versys. PITA but they work. I'm surprised Yamaha didn't do something like that from the factory, preferably one on each side

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have one of the eBay ones on my bike and seems secure enough. I am sure if a thief wanted your helmet bad enough they could find a way to get it off of there but I haven't yet.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My other thought is a light duty cable lock so I can lock a helmet through the visor and my jacket sleeve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
654 Posts
Shad 36L side cases will fit a full face helmet (barely)

·
Registered
111 Posts
The guy on Ebay copied my hook.

With my hook you would need to brake the seat or seat lock to remove the helmet.

From the pictures I have seen the Ebay one would be the same.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yep and I'm still waiting on my share of the profits so I can retire early. LOL

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I bought a generic Yamaha helmet lock and had it keyed to match my bike. I'm going to drill/tap a hole in my rack for it. They're all about $20, and rekeying was only like $4. I've just been too busy being single dad, girl scout troop leader, fishing guide... Yamaha RZ350 1UA 1wt 3HM Ypvs F2 Helmet Lock Hanger for Motorcycle Street Bikes | eBay
That looks identical to what came standard on my KLX250 dirt bike; it works great. I wish my FZ had one. I've been using a tiny padlock to hang my helmet from the license plate bracket (not quite as easy to do as using the one on the dirt bike).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Straps ARE replaceable. You can replace them with a cam-lock instead of D-rings, and problem solved... So cutting straps is an option, hence the reason I never bother to lock up my helmet. If they want it, they're going to take it anyway.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
^ I loop a coiled bicycle cable with built-in combination lock through the risers and face port of the helmet. Keeps the honest folks honest.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts