Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a set with the rebate they have going, would love some opinions on them. Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Triplethreat has had them since October. I'm sure he'll see this thread. You can wait until he responds or P/M him. I have Q2's on my 1200 Bandit (they are great) and unless something better comes along, I'll put Q3's on the '09 when the stock D214's wear out.
As far as I know, You can't get a better tire for handling on the street, although there are a couple that may be as good or nearly so. The stock 214's are fair when run at 30 lbs., but give no feedback.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Interesting observation, stillkickin. I replaced my rear 214 with a Pirelli Angel GT and perceived what I described in another thread as "noticeably greater confidence about what's going on 'back there.'" Your post about the stock 214 giving "no feedback," similar to my own experience, seems quite accurate.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Brvt.....stillkickin is correct....I brought my bike home in a trailer with 2 miles on it and immediately took the S20's off and installed a set of the Q3's on the bike. I've got approx. 2400 miles on the bike now and I absolutely love the Q3's as far as neutral steering, great grip, they heat up quickly at 30psi and the turn in is very quick also. The front tire probably has another 3000 miles on it, the rear, not so much. I've got the edges of the tire worn down almost to the wear bars in the tire grooves, so I'm thinking there is maybe another 1200 to 1500 miles on them before they start sliding around.....I'm just not sure as this is my first ever set of Q3's. Plenty of tread left in the middle of the tire though....enough to get maybe another 3K if I just rode upright, but that ain't gonna happen. I do ride the bike fairly hard though, so my tires aren't go to last as long as someone that commutes on them or doesn't drive out of corners hard. So, that's about all I got on this subject unless you have some specific questions for me.

Reactions: Brvt1000

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Vern, and those tires have how much time on Road Atlanta? So without that the street longevity would be even better, sounds good for spirited riding. I'm just nervous about mounting those ****ing stiff sidewalls with hand tools lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Bob, not really a full day at Road A on them. I took the bike and my track bike and road the morning (3 sessions) on the 600RR. I then took the FZ09 out in the afternoon when it warmed up a bit and did 4 sessions with it....so not a lot of track time, but probably shortened their life by a bit. Most of my street riding though is, let's say, "spirited", :cool: so pretty hard on the tires for sure!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am looking at getting a set myself after speaking with many different people at the last track day that I attended. The factory battleaxe that I have been riding on don't seem to have the greatest life in them. They are too soft for commuting the center wore out in just 2100 miles. The research that I have done about the Q3 shows a harder center compound for better commuting tread life. Not to mention the fact that they are right around $300 installed for the set. So I will be getting a set in the near future.

UPDATE: just had the Q3's installed. Can't wait for this rain/fog crappie to move away to get them properly scrubbed in and riding again.

Second Update: Weather finally cleared and, OMG I LOVE THESE TIRES! My confidence level has increased significantly. Hope you like yours as much.

·
Registered
112 Posts
With the rebate price I was thinking about snagging a set just to have for the next tire swap, whata deal! A buddy of mine does A group track days on a BMW S1000rr and recently switched from Michelin to the Q3's, says they have excellent characteristics and very predictable/sticky. Think I'll pull the trigger soon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts