Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two bikes that I want to sell, and I was thinking of trying ebay. Anyone have any experience with this? I have bought/sold many items on ebay, but nothing of this value. How $$$ fees did you get hit with? Pros/Cons? Thanks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would say selling on eBay is the best option if you have some especially unique that people would be willing to travel to get, but if it's a common bike it may become more of a hassle with trying to arrange pick up or delivery. But listing on eBay grants both you and the seller some security with the paper trail and having PayPal as an escrow of sorts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Selling on Craigslist is sketchy. Buying on Craigslist is dangerous. E-Bay...much better.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Craigslist I have bought and sold on. You get to talk to the buyer and or seller. Ebay was all computer back and forth.
Much preferred craigslist.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
also agree with others on craigslist... i sold my sv650 in a week in the dead of winter. If you take a step by step process to protect yourself, it works out great and much easier than doing it via eBay.

Steps to take when selling via craigslist:

1. draft up a bill of sale - ensure it has the following:

a. sellers name/ buyers name
b. seller agrees to pay $xxxx for the bike in as is condition the as is condition part is very important as is the price - this is for tax purposes for the buyer as well as it prevents the buyer from trying to low ball you last minute when you meet up for the sale.
c. seller is responsible for picking up the bike - once the title transfer is complete - the buyer is not responsible for any damage incurred from transportation of the motorcycle
d. the date
e. the bikes vin number/make/model/year/mileage

2. Only sign the title over to the seller when they are present and you have the cash in hand

In NJ - there is no need to have a notary sign the transfer of title - in other states (such as PA) this is required for both parties. In my scenario, i had a buyer from PA come and get it and i did not have to notarize my signature - i simply signed the title upon receiving the cash and gave it to the buyer.

Make a copy of the bill of sale for both you and the buyer and have them sign both.

3. If they want to pay with a check - make sure it is a bank certified check

4. If possible, meet at a populated location (mall parking lot/grocery store parking lot etc). I had the guy come to my brothers garage given it was the dead of winter but i had 3 people with me just to be on the safe side.

Net - lots of people have used craigslist and depending on what the bikes are, you'll get the same price selling locally as you would on ebay and have far less hassle.

Also - be patient (if your wallet allows) you may not get hits right away, but if you can wait someone almost always will email you and negotiate or pay what you're asking for. Be vigilant about posting - copy and paste the same ad every week so that it refreshes in the que.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Craigslist all the way. The two bikes I sold on there went the next day. Everyone was decent to deal with.
C.Dolan is the guy to talk to about ebay and bikes.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use both, you tend to get jerked off and spamed, scammers, etc. on craigslist, I just sold my fz1 on ebay and got what I asked for, I had to pay ebay $125 for the sale, Ebay used to have a classified to compete with craigslist but they stopped using it. So if you use ebay just include the $125 in your price

·
Registered
877 Posts
Have bought and sold hundreds of bikes on Ebay.

One reason I prefer it over Cycle Trader or Craig's List is the potential liability of a test

ride going sour while bike is still yours.

Lots of pictures helps and a video of bike running and lights & horn demo makes a big difference.

On older bikes I also include a video of charging system and volt meter.

Best payment to get as a seller is cash in hand or a bank wire.

Have sold bikes overseas, as well.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have sold more than 20 bikes and cars on Craig's list since 2009. Cash only, all other forms can be voided or fake. Always spotlessly clean every part of your bike and take good pictures. If you can get it back to stock, do that. Sell the add on stuff later. Give details about service and condition. I start a few hundred higher than I will take so I can take their slightly reduced offer. Know what other like your's are selling and for how much. Write in add why yours' is better. I always have the title in my name and current registration. Bikes have always been ready to ride home but most are loaded in a pickup. List a cell number and until you get name and number, don't give them address until you have had a couple of two way conversations about when and where and the bike (like wife's got dinner, let me call you back).

If you are selling a POS all the above does not matter. How many CL ads have you seen where you thought, "they could of at least washed it". So do all the above and it will be gone and the cash will be in your pocket. I also write up a bill of sale stating they are liable for any accidents from the current mileage on and date and time. I also have them agree on the bill of sale that there is no warranty of any kind and that they must transfer vehicle into their name within 5 days.

Now here is the clincher, Every vehicle I have advertised (even long before 2009), was purchased by the first person who actually came and saw the vehicle in person (and some have traveled over 200 miles).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts