Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just going over my bike the other day and noticed a little bit of exhaust soot by the slip on joint where it meets the headers. Fired up the bike and sure enough, there is a little air puttering out at idle on both sides. I'm clamped tight, the header pipe was cut on the proper side of the weld, and I made sure as shit that I cleaned all of the original weld off smooth.

This is the first slip on exhaust I've had on a bike and A) don't know how common it is to have minor leaks, B) how significant the lost of back pressure would be, and C) if it is worth taking off and sealing up with Permatex.

Anyone else notice a leak on their M4 system?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Did you use the high-temp red silicone stuff where the slip-on mates to the header?

Also, to test for leaks, take a thick rag and cover the exhaust hole while the bike is running. If there's a leak you'll hear it whistle, if there's no leak the bike should start to die, then sputter back to life when you remove the rag.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you use the high-temp red silicone stuff where the slip-on mates to the header?

Also, to test for leaks, take a thick rag and cover the exhaust hole while the bike is running. If there's a leak you'll hear it whistle, if there's no leak the bike should start to die, then sputter back to life when you remove the rag.
I used the tube of antiseize that came with the slipon but not any silicone. I did the rag test when I first put it on last year. No whistles. I'll try again to see if it makes any noise and maybe go the permatex route

Reactions: DECON BLUE

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm pretty sure mine is leaking somewhere, but it was to hot and humid to mess with it today. It's also getting louder for some reason and I'm not real happy about that.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I'm pretty sure mine is leaking somewhere, but it was to hot and humid to mess with it today. It's also getting louder for some reason and I'm not real happy about that.
If its not caused by a leak, then it might be time to repack it if its getting too loud

Mine is leak free, but I put it together with high temp silicone .

·
Registered
357 Posts
If its not caused by a leak, then it might be time to repack it if its getting too loud

Mine is leak free, but I put it together with high temp silicone .
It's has to be the pack, but I'm just about to hit 4k miles. It's a noticeable difference and expected it to last longer. I work 3rd shift and it was too loud for me from the start. You don't realize how loud it is till you ride home at 4:30 in the morning.

Edit: Probably only 2500 miles with the M4

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
It's has to be the pack, but I'm just about to hit 4k miles. It's a noticeable difference and expected it to last longer. I work 3rd shift and it was too loud for me from the start. You don't realize how loud it is till you ride home at 4:30 in the morning.

Edit: Probably only 2500 miles with the M4
Yikes...I agree ...2500 miles is really way to early for it to be needing a repack....I have about the same mileage on mine but I ride with ear plugs so who knows if mine is worn out too ...:)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I used the tube of antiseize that came with the slipon but not any silicone. I did the rag test when I first put it on last year. No whistles. I'll try again to see if it makes any noise and maybe go the permatex route
I used both anti-seize and high-temp silicone gasket maker. Anti-seize went on the inside diameter of the of the mid-pipe, this makes it easy to remove and helps resist corrosion.

The high-temp silicone goes in the very thin region between the outer/inner section that is secured onto the header itself.

Reactions: nburkhouse

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yikes...I agree ...2500 miles is really way to early for it to be needing a repack....I have about the same mileage on mine but I ride with ear plugs so who knows if mine is worn out too ...:)
If it's had an exhaust leak since it was installed, not only is the AIS injecting fresh air, it's getting some extra O2 to burn from the exhaust leak. Not very probable that it needs to be repacked, but possible.

My GPR has actually gotten a bit quieter with use, but I wear ear-plugs because the drone gives me a headache after an hour or so.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have no problem with mine. The pipe has double walls. You need to put some permatex in the space, slip it on and tighten.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Not sure if you need a specific packing kit? or if others paking kits will work?

Q: Can I buy replacement parts for my damaged M4 system?

A: Yes. Hopefully you won't need replacement parts. If you do you can buy any part for any system. From springs, hanger straps, high hanger brackets, collector units, mid pipe, head pipes, silencer sleeves and repacking kits.

M4 Exhaust · High Performance Motorcycle Exhaust Systems

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Packing is packing...any will work. Some are quieter than others and some come in fancy pre-cut kits. I've made dirt bike silencers quieter than stock with house insulation.

+1 on sealant to fix the leak...most do that to begin with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts