Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see if anyone has cracked one of these open yet. I would like to see how much junk is inside it and was considering chopping it open myself but not sure when I will get enough time to do it...

Has anyone just cut off the stock muffler completely and ran it open just after the O2?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Just out of curiosity why would one want to do this? I think replacing the exhaust is a much more viable option, plus if you need to stock out for warranty you can. The m4 slip on probably what you are looking for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just curious. I would like to see how they designed the inside and the way the exhaust flows through the can and how many times its redirected. I will look at the link and thank you!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Last night I chopped off the box to do an M 4 slip on.

They say to cut just beyond the weld and smooth out to slip pipe over.

Just my luck to get the one with a cold weld 1/8th inch of bead on top of the metal.

Was a lot to grind off.

The headers aren't too heavy, but the box feels like a solid brick for weight.

M 4 plus stock head pipes weighed 9 1/4 Lbs.

Reactions: Poogamer69

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I was just curious. I would like to see how they designed the inside and the way the exhaust flows through the can and how many times its redirected. I will look at the link and thank you!
I can't answer about the FZ-09 "toaster box"....but I have dissected others and it's always THREE reverse direction...or "baffles" inside the can.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Last night I chopped off the box to do an M 4 slip on.

They say to cut just beyond the weld and smooth out to slip pipe over.

Just my luck to get the one with a cold weld 1/8th inch of bead on top of the metal.

Was a lot to grind off.

The headers aren't too heavy, but the box feels like a solid brick for weight.

M 4 plus stock head pipes weighed 9 1/4 Lbs.
I am seriously starting to look down this route also, in regards to the M4. Easy enough to return to stock exhaust setup with a single weld if needed.

Would love to see a pic from the back straight on if you have one, how far it sticks out to the side. I like compact.

How do you like it (sound and look), and are you doing any further tuning with the M4 or is it not really required?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I am seriously starting to look down this route also, in regards to the M4. Easy enough to return to stock exhaust setup with a single weld if needed.

Would love to see a pic from the back straight on if you have one, how far it sticks out to the side. I like compact.

How do you like it (sound and look), and are you doing any further tuning with the M4 or is it not really required?
I still have to get my ass off the couch and do the install, now.

Just got some 2006 Yamaha R 1 calipers to install, also.

Be back, later

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Sounds like a job for a stethoscope. I happen to have one that can take color pics and video. However, I don't have my stock exhaust at the moment. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I could get my hands on a stock muffler, I can find someone with a plasma cutter to crack one open. I am scouring ebay hoping to pick one up for pennies on the dollar if u know what I mean...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts