Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm going to unload my Harley this summer. I really love the FZ-09 and have started looking at sport bikes and sport touring bikes if I trade the Harley.

I like the V Strom and Versys bikes, but I'm not tall enough for those. The seat height on the FZ-09 really is my comfort limit. I like putting both feet down flat and having that sense of balance that goes along with it.

At the local Suzuki store they have a new old stock 2011 GSX 600. The weight of the bike and seat height seem okay, but I've never been on a true sport bike or super sport, whatever the GSX would fall into. Around here, they don't test ride sport bikes. I might be able to find some place selling a used one though. The are asking 8k. I'm not sure if that is fair. The new ones have an MSRP of close to 12k. I'll look more into that.

Anyway, what is it like riding a GSX compared to our bike?

I don't race around or ride like you see some people ride with these bikes, just not my style. I would be riding in a normal way and don't feel the need to rev the bike out to red line. I like how the FZ-09 handles compared to the cruisers I have been on so I have been looking in the sport bike direction. Opinions are appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked up the specs, 124 hp, close to ours, same weight. I'm wondering how they are different. I can think of the following- seating position, four cylinder vs three cylinder, body work. Yeah, I'm not looking to track the bike, so this might not make sense.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
They don't come to life until you get the RPM's up to 8,000, then they scream like a raped ape until they get to the 13,500 redline. You will be leaned forward on your wrists all of the time, and if you are riding around in traffic, the heat of the engine will bake you. The tight geometry is fun in the corners but painful just rolling around. Your knees will be under your armpits.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would an R6 be the same thing as this?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm 23 now, sold both of my GSX-R600's to get this bike. Haven't regretted it one day.

The FZ has a lot more torque, more usable power for commuting, and once the speed limiter is off, will be just as good of a track weapon.

Reactions: emtechbali

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Jen, the R6 is a dog until it gets to 8,000 RPM, then it is hard to handle. No fun at all. I would consider the FZ6 if I were you. My wife bought the R6S because is was a much better all around bike than the current R6. The S was the previous R6 model, much more fun in the usable rev range. They no longer make the R6S, fazed it out for the FZ6.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had the Yellow 2000 VFR800 also, and I couldn't agree more.
Other than the color the bike was perfect. Mine had a Two Brothers pipe and sounded glorious! Honestly I've had almost every uncomfortable sportbike known to man (RC51 and CBR 900 is near the top of that list) and it all boils down to what you're willing to live with. That being said, if you aren't riding corners then I personally see no reason for a full on sportbike. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Awesome bikes, referring to the GSX-R 600, but you will be shifting all the time. On the highway when ya wanna pass will have to shift down 2 or 3 gears to make a quick pass. Like mentioned above they are very subdued until around 7-8K then they wake up and scream. And be prepared to be hunched over all day.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
600's are a lot fun I have had a bunch (3)cbr's, zx-6r, (2) gsxr's. I don't know what you guys are talking about they are so much fun. So easy to maneuver and RIDE OUT on the highway. They are lacking in torque, but make up for it with long gears. You really don't miss the torque until you ride something with over 65 ft lbs. But I had a sv1000s and a gsxr 750 both had lots of torque. But still, not as much fun as the 600's. The 600 is the perfect balance of weight, agility, speed, and braking power. I had 2 gsxr 600's 2005 and 2008. They are geared a lot higher than the fz-09. 1st would go to 70. 2nd will go to 100. They redline very high the 2008 (was at 16,000). They are very smooth to ride. With full fairings and windshield coupled with the bent over the tank position equals little wind resistance.

But the FZ-09 has the same horsepower, same weight, but 20 ft. lbs more of torque. And what sold me on the FZ-09 aside from the looks, is the up right riding position. My back is all jacked up, and riding a supersport for more than 30 minutes aggravates it. But you cannot go wrong with a 600 if you want a track bike in street clothing, that will do 160 off the show room floor and feel comfortable while doing it. They are a lot of fun! At $8,000 for a gsxr 600 with 0 miles on is a steal. The MSRP on that bike in 2011 was 12k. Not to mention those bikes will run forever. they also come with power modes like the fz-09 for people who need to tone down the ponies.

Edit* Here is the 05 and 08

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jen, can I ask what it is that you intend to use this second bike for? Is the FZ-09 lacking in a certain area that you would like this new bike to fulfill? I only ask so that some better recommendations can be made. As stated, unless you plan on some spirited canyon runs or a track day, you'll be much happier with the torque of the FZ around town and even on the highway. A supersport 600 of any make is not going to be "useable" until 8k+ rpms. Sure it will move under its own power around town, but the cramped seating position with rearsets and clip-ons are designed for higher speeds. It a very uneasy feeling on a sport bike under 70+mph. Unless you started on sportbikes that is. As stated by others, a fz6 would be much more user friendly as a commuter with the more upright seating position and the cam profiles being directed to a better mid range torque curve. The fairings are adequate enough to keep the wind off you. However, I believe that the FZ-09 is a good enough commuter that I couldn't justify buying a different bike so close in style. If I were in a position to get a second bike, I personally would be looking for something on the complete other end of the spectrum. Maybe a new bolt R or something. Good luck in whatever you choose. (If I were YOU, I'd sick that money into the Buick Grand National.....j/k) BTW lets see some pics of that beauty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jen,

I own a 2006 GSX-R 600 and have ridden the FZ-09 during a demo event a few months ago. I am not ready to part with the GSX-R yet but the FZ-09 is the motorcycle that I would consider buying when it is time to replace the GSX-R.

The FZ-09 has much more torque around town but I like having a full fairing when I ride on the freeways to get to the twisties. I am good for 200 miles on my bike before my neck starts to ache. The Suzuki has good ergos for a sportbike. Coming off a Harley, you'll be more comfy on the Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love the FZ-09. Since it's almost a sport bike and I have only been on cruisers, I was wondering if there was anything I was missing out on in the sport bike world. I'm not used to revving high and don't feel the need to. I'm a boring rider :)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I love the FZ-09. Since it's almost a sport bike and I have only been on cruisers, I was wondering if there was anything I was missing out on in the sport bike world. I'm not used to revving high and don't feel the need to. I'm a boring rider :)
I would say check out more of a sport tourer if you want to do more long distance rides.

Sent from my hot secretary, dictated but not read

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The FZ-09 is a sport bike. It is not a supersport. The only thing your missing from the supersport world (that is; 600cc and 1000cc track bikes with lights and blinkers) coming from an FZ-09 is extreme handling, high speed gearing, and overwhelming braking ability. They are the super high performance machines of the bike world. They are the tip of the spear when it comes to performance motorcycles. Supersports are designed to be the fastest around a race track. They stop in the shortest amount of distance, accelerate the fastest, take turns the sharpest. They are the closest anyone can get to a race bike off the showroom floor. They are the only motor vehicle that it's own design is driven by results on a race track in real time racing series. Whether it is a Honda CBR600RR/ Cbr1000RR, Yamaha R6/ R1, Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R/ ZX10R, Suzuki GSXR 600/750/1000. They all share the same traits and qualities mentioned above. There is nothing like the long gears and rocket ship feel of a inline 4 supersport accelerating.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Watch how a 2007 gsxr600 accelerates in stock form. Notice the lack of power wheelies, which I personally like. Look for at the speed he is at when he shifts. Also look at how few seconds it takes to hit 150. Like I said in post #14, there gearing is super long and makes for a fun ride on the open stretch of road.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts