Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really intrigued by the FZ-09, Im 6'8" and dont fit comfortably an quite a bit of bikes, but these bikes seem like they could be tall guy friendly. I want a super sport, but we all know that isnt my best option. I really do like the naked bikes though, I have sat and rode on a few like the KTM SuperDuke and a Monster, but I really like the price of the new FZ-09. Any thoughts or opinions?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm 6'2" 220 lbs ish and find that the FZ is very comfortable, even on longer rides. Suspension settings are maxed out and it's still pretty soft for my liking but thats another issue. There is plenty of room for me to move around on the bike without feeling cramped. Anyways thats my .02

Hopefully we have some taller riders then me on here that will give you their thoughts as well.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
What kind of riding do you like. I think adventure bikes are necessarily taller in the seat.
You are one tall sob, 6-8, good god

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am 6'2"+ and 240lbs and legroom is a major deal with me. The first time I sat on the fz09 I was stunned at the amount of legroom and that practically sold me right there!! As bmacz said I think you would be hard pressed to find a sporting motorcycle with legroom anywhere near the fz09. Now go ride one!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am officially a little over 6'6" 220. The bike fits pretty good. I have had Sportbikes in the past so this feels roomy compared.

I have had the seat redone so I could sit back a little further and a touch higher. I also went to some renthal bars so the bend of the bar was more straight and it feels awesome now.

I was trying to decide between the super tenere and this bike and I test rode both. The roominess is definitely better on the s10 but I love the light weight, nimbleness and sportiness of the fz (that was a lot of ness lol).

Who knows though I may own both some day or a middle weight adventure /dual sport. I think for me that would be a great two bike combo, but that is a whole new topic.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Im 5'8" and 185 lbs all gear up, no help there. But I'm with Motodunner. The 09 and S10 would make a perfect match in the Man Cave one day. The Strom 1K is really nice too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thank you, this has been very helpful. The ergonomics website is very helpful as well, most of the riding I do is just cruising city and some highway. As of right now the only bike I have is an old Suzuki enduro so riding in pretty limited, its just something I tool around on. I dont plan on buying a bike until this summer, so I am just trying find out what I want, and most of all what is comfortable for me. Now I need to find one in my area so that I can sit/ride it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm 6'3" but noticably taller than my friends that say they are 6'3". I've got a 36" inseam, and because of the bend in my legs - my feet are angled down further than what I can adjust the rear brake pedal for. The easy solution for me was to order some FZ6R footpegs for $25. The rubber tops will essentially raise my feet 1/2" allowing my foot to comfortably hover over the brake. If you want more adjustability then some MFW Vario pegs would be a good investment for you. When my pegs come in I'll post before and after pictures. It's not what most people would consider a performance mod - but being able to comfortably hover over the brake will allow me to go faster. I normally raise the bars on my bikes - but I'm fine with these where they are (I went up 3/4" on my V-Strom 1000). If you've got more than a 36" inseam then you might want to get one of the flatter seats. I kick myself for passing on the seat concepts group buy (because it doesn't change the passenger area) - but it would be handy for you. I sit forward and I've got a 52" inch chest - so I bought a $10 pair of mirror wideners that go up 35cm and out 45cm. But whatever bike you get - ride it a while before you make any changes.

·
Registered
962 Posts
FZ09 seating.jpg vstrom seating.jpg

I think I look like a giant riding anything - but the ergonomics of the FZ-09 fit me better than my V-Strom 1000 did. The seat on the V-Strom was a lot plusher though...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ok,I'm 6'2",guess I qualify.So to address this I have added 1" to my reupholstered seat.
Next,I have ordered 1" lowered footpegs from Knight designs.
There are some variable pegs out there but I don't like because the pegs are spun on a lathe,so their round.
Knight design pegs are broad and flat with 3 choices of a foot grip pattern.
Also available in multi anodized colors.
I went with the gold to match the gold forks.
BTW I ordered for a FZ 6.Should fit.

·
Registered
340 Posts
On the subject of ergonomics there,Just want to Ride,I too have a V-strom and I was impressed with the feedback
I was getting from the niner on mild off roads.I feel very confident with the short reach to the bars and
For what the front end was doing.Very ergonomically correct IMO.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I switched the Fatbars with Renthal's which are a tad taller and have less sweep. I am 6'0" tall and fit quite well. I just put a Seat Concepts seat on but cannot ride until my ECU comes back from being re-flashed. I will update when I get a chance to ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I finally sat on one, but did not ride due to the weather. I think just lowering the foot pegs an inch will get me as close to comfortable as I will ever get with about any bike out there. Thanks for all the help, I do believe Im going to buy one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm 6'-3" and 220 lbs. geared up. Inseam 34"-36" depending on the style of pants. As with probably most on this thread , I have a problem with many bike tanks that flare out at the top. The FZ09 surprisingly has the flare above my knees. I had a Triumph Speed Triple before this bike, and it was more cramped in the knees and a further reach to the bars. I come from years of Cafe's and Sport Bikes, so thought the Triumph was as good as it gets. I was wrong, the FZ09 is mush more dirtbike feeling with the higher bars and narrower through the middle. I love this bike!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here's a picture of me sitting on my bike for comical relief...
I'm 6'3" 140lbs.
I feel like I look like Luigi from Mario Kart...

View attachment 13317
6'-3" and 145 pounds?! Eat something! I have to admit that I was 6'-2" as a senior in high school and weighed about 150. I also was a track and cross-country runner so being thin didn't hurt. Now at 51 I'm 6'-3" and 205 lbs. and only ride sportbike at the track. Forget about it on the street.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok,I'm 6'2",guess I qualify.So to address this I have added 1" to my reupholstered seat.
Next,I have ordered 1" lowered footpegs from Knight designs.
There are some variable pegs out there but I don't like because the pegs are spun on a lathe,so their round.
Knight design pegs are broad and flat with 3 choices of a foot grip pattern.
Also available in multi anodized colors.
I went with the gold to match the gold forks.
BTW I ordered for a FZ 6.Should fit.
So you put FZ6 pegs from Knight on your FZ-09? Or are you saying you put them on your FZ6 and are guessing they should fit?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Well I finally sat on one, but did not ride due to the weather. I think just lowering the foot pegs an inch will get me as close to comfortable as I will ever get with about any bike out there. Thanks for all the help, I do believe Im going to buy one.
I'm a bit over 1.9 meters in modern measurements. I added a bit of foam under the seat which raised it about 25 mm and flattened it out too. i Noticed it gave me a bit more leg room.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts