Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike going in sat for this odd new developing sound.. hopefully dealer can come up with something... doesnt sound like anyone else has heard/had it.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Dang! That thing sound pissoff! Don't start it again... almost sound like the timing chain tensioner is off or something like that. Keep us posted...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
uhh nah... the dealer told me... take it easy, vary rpms, engine braking and throttle blips etc... 600 mi... I didnt get to 600mi tho

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Should have used the motoman method...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Have you checked for a snake in your air box?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dropped it off this morning... The service tech and tech say sounds like a bearing was starved for oil or defective bearing... They are digging into it and talking to Yamaha service Tech's. I did hear clattering like timing chain as well.. But he said there were no recalls or anything.. Do we'll see

·
Registered
651 Posts
My bike makes this noise when cold.It goes away after the temp reaches 60 degrees.I'll be interested to see what the dealer says.
Started doing it when I picked it up after its first service.

Edit: I started the bike and immediately manually adjusted the tensioner before the engine had a chance to warm up.This made the noise go away as I adjusted it.So it is just another variation of loose cam chain noise.

Interestingly,I left the hex key in the tensioner and started the bike again after letting it cool.As the engine warmed up and the noise stopped,I could see the hex key turn as the tensioner automatically adjusted the cam chain slack.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
in my case I did notice a bit of chatter, but for me... its now not doing it cold, but if I fire it up, let it warm up, and then literally drive to end of block and come back I notice the sound... and it seems to get worse and worse in running... to a certain point. If it were noise related to timing chain tensioner, I'd be ecstatic but I dont think mine is.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Dropped it off this morning... The service tech and tech say sounds like a bearing was starved for oil or defective bearing... They are digging into it and talking to Yamaha service Tech's. I did hear clattering like timing chain as well.. But he said there were no recalls or anything.. Do we'll see

Like I said earlier in the thread. It's all ball bearings these days. Should be all warranty anyway.

fletch.jpg

·
Registered
651 Posts
in my case I did notice a bit of chatter, but for me... its now not doing it cold, but if I fire it up, let it warm up, and then literally drive to end of block and come back I notice the sound... and it seems to get worse and worse in running... to a certain point. If it were noise related to timing chain tensioner, I'd be ecstatic but I dont think mine is.
All I can say is that noise is exactly what mine sounds like.The cyclical sound is exactly what you would expect from the cam chain,it is too slow to be crank or cam shaft related.
If it were me and some "technician" insisted it was something other than the cam chain, I'd get a second opinion from another dealer before I let anyone start pulling the engine apart.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Isn't modern day service something? In the old days, a guy named "Bob" or "Jack" would get his tools. He'd open it up and see whats wrong. Hes probably take out the cam chain tensioner first, since the auto ones are somewhat a weak spot on every bike.

Now day, "Kaleb" or "Beyonce" will get on the phone and call tech support , and they better have an answer....For a problem that is right in front of you!!! Probably calls Kawasaki first until they notice it says Yamaha on the tank.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I dont know, I think is reasonable... the tech basically told me they've had 2 fz09's go through their dealership total... he didnt know what they were supposed to sound like. He looked up tsb's and recalls and found nothing for that vin... I told him it didnt always make that sound, but I'm no tech... and they are willing to tear into it.

Mystery sounds are always the worst things to try and solve... you may find 100 problems and fix them thinking its gonna fix your noise, and have it not fix your noise.

Knowing they've had issues with timing chain tensioner on this motor already, I'd hope they at least investigate down that road, but so far I'm not terribly unhappy with how this dealership has been dealing with this issue (from a car dealer perspective, I've had car dealers turn me away after proving one of my old cars was burning >3qts of oil in <3k mi, saying some cars burn more oil than others)

and thank god I have my ducati to ride while this one is in the shop =) not totally bikeless in this fantastic weather. (ironic... an italian bike appearing to be more reliable than a japanese one =)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I dont know, I think is reasonable... the tech basically told me they've had 2 fz09's go through their dealership total... he didnt know what they were supposed to sound like. He looked up tsb's and recalls and found nothing for that vin... I told him it didnt always make that sound, but I'm no tech... and they are willing to tear into it.

Mystery sounds are always the worst things to try and solve... you may find 100 problems and fix them thinking its gonna fix your noise, and have it not fix your noise.

Knowing they've had issues with timing chain tensioner on this motor already, I'd hope they at least investigate down that road, but so far I'm not terribly unhappy with how this dealership has been dealing with this issue (from a car dealer perspective, I've had car dealers turn me away after proving one of my old cars was burning >3qts of oil in <3k mi, saying some cars burn more oil than others)

and thank god I have my ducati to ride while this one is in the shop =) not totally bikeless in this fantastic weather. (ironic... an italian bike appearing to be more reliable than a japanese one =)
I would laugh in the face of a tech who told me "it's supposed to burn oil" I would fall to the ground and not listen to anything else they had to say, my 73 gran Torino with a 351c didn't burn oil in 2007 so I don't want to hear it! Also being a mechanic and working on hundreds of vehicles know better, the 91 honda civic doesn't eat oil from the factory, neither does the 02 Camry, or the 08 silverado. Even turbo cars don't eat oil! Nothing is supposed to eat oil these days. That's plain retarded lol.

We had a mechanic tell me boss that a 03 Acura RSX Type S 6-speed came from the factory without a certain sensor and that's why the CEL was on, are you freaking kidding me?? Someone walked into a dealership and bought a 20k+ flagship sports car that had a check engine light???!? C'mon don't bullshit me! :D

·
Registered
651 Posts
Even turbo cars don't eat oil! Nothing is supposed to eat oil these days. That's plain retarded lol.
Unless it's a Triumph.
(triumph's official response to the fact that some of their bike use a lot off oil is that it is acceptable for a high performance engine)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts