Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy recently won a gopro hero 3 black edition (not 3+) and is looking to offload it for about 250, I was looking at the 3+ silver edition for 300, and I'm wondering which is the best way to go.

Thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think you should go with the 3 black. I believe you will get better picture and sound out of the black. But I am still a go pro newb. Youtube has many videos over all of these go pro cameras.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The silver + performs slightly better then the older black.. Really the only thing you loose is recording above 1080.. The silver + has better sound and lighting.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I thought the Silver+ did 1080p @ 60 fps?

·
Registered
235 Posts
It does but the black goes to 4k..

·
Registered
835 Posts
It does but the black goes to 4k..
I thought only the Black+ went to 4k.

They really need to quit making these stupid updated models! Just narrow it down to two!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I was just at the GoPro booth for the Broadcasters convention in vegas. Don't be confused with the 4k, it only does 4k at a reduced frame rate which means its only good for still images. The black edition is probably.

Here is what the black edition has over the silver 3+

4k @ 15fps - good for still images.
[email protected] 30fps - this is good
1440p @ 48 fps - good for slow motion

For moto installation I would suggest using their new mount called 'The Frame'. This is good only in good weather, not waterproof. The benefit is that captures sound much better than the weatherproof one. It has a unique air dam that deflects wind around the mic.

Also, if you have a spare, they finally came out with a 3d (stereoscopic) rig that uses (2) GoPro's at the same time. Using their software you can take the footage from both and create Left/right eye video for 3D. Although fine tuning 3D can be a black art, I have some experience and professional tools for this. If you have any questions, you can PM me about it.

The 3D rig is not out yet, but its called 'Dual HERO System'

Reactions: ridethepiggy

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have the latest Go Pro model...BLACK. It works excellent. You can buy them all day long brand new for $300. A used one should be around $225.00. Get the backpack screen with it....and the bigger Simm card.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I was just at the GoPro booth for the Broadcasters convention in vegas. Don't be confused with the 4k, it only does 4k at a reduced frame rate which means its only good for still images. The black edition is probably.

Here is what the black edition has over the silver 3+

4k @ 15fps - good for still images.
[email protected] 30fps - this is good
1440p @ 48 fps - good for slow motion

For moto installation I would suggest using their new mount called 'The Frame'. This is good only in good weather, not waterproof. The benefit is that captures sound much better than the weatherproof one. It has a unique air dam that deflects wind around the mic.

Also, if you have a spare, they finally came out with a 3d (stereoscopic) rig that uses (2) GoPro's at the same time. Using their software you can take the footage from both and create Left/right eye video for 3D. Although fine tuning 3D can be a black art, I have some experience and professional tools for this. If you have any questions, you can PM me about it.

The 3D rig is not out yet, but its called 'Dual HERO System'
The other issue with the 4k is there's not a lot of ways to view the footage properly. Definitely shoot for high res + high framerate, that's the way to record the action properly!

I've seen some mockup 3D rigs done with one GoPro recording upside down and some editing trickery but an actual branded "Dual HERO" system could be neat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts