Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my buddy’s only key for his 2015 FZ-09. Any advice on getting a new one made?

I’ve had luck having a key made for my Kawasaki on eBay, it was pretty cheap and fast, but I had an existing key to work with.

Thanks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Do Canadian bikes have immobilizers? If not, then it's just a simple key.
If your buddy has the key code, a replacement can be cut from it. If not, a good locksmith can make a key if you give him the lock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No immobilizer. My CAA (canadian equivalent of AAA) covers $100 for cost of locksmith. I got bike towed to his place and locksmith is coming to do an impression etc.

Once he has the new key, we are going to look for an OEM blank to have cut.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,605 Posts
Tell you're buddy to have 3 keys made.
One goes someplace safe, maybe a parents house or a safe, with a key ring on it that says 'FZ09 - if I'm using this key I need to make a copy'. Yeah its big and long - that is the point, to make it annoying to use on a daily basis.
2nd goes wherever he normally keeps keys with a key ring that says 'FZ09'
3rd is the one you use every day.

Key copies cost like 3 bucks where I live, if you've got a key to copy. Without a key it'll probably be 100+ - getting a few spares made is cheap insurance in case your idiot friend looses your key.

·
Registered
611 Posts
One time on a ride I took out the key from the ignition and dropped it and it came THIS CLOSE to falling down a gutter. I had spares made after that and carry an additional one with me.
I zip tie (so they don't flop around like a keychain) small carbiners to my keys so I can clip them on my jacket, but never thought once about losing one down a gutter. I might have to find somewhere to stash a spare now that you mention this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Without the original key I think your options are to replace locks. Maybe a dealership can help out if you prove you own the bike?

Good luck, i cut some spares and keep them at home just in case this happens

·
Registered
2014 Yamaha fz09
56 Posts
I used these for blanks.

I bought some of these yzf keys too. They work just fine and look better than the original, plus I got red to match the bike!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts