Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
It'll probably be spring before we dyno. we are looking to put it on e85, and I don't want to deal with that in the cold.
I know you have been planning to make it run on low octane E85, but how and why would you do that on a turbo engine without lowering both the compression ratio and boost pressure? Good cooling and air/fuel mixing will only get you so far before detonation occurs and installing a knock sensor will retard the spark and stop the fun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know you have been planning to make it run on low octane E85, but how and why would you do that on a turbo engine without lowering both the compression ratio and boost pressure? Good cooling and air/fuel mixing will only get you so far before detonation occurs and installing a knock sensor will retard the spark and stop the fun.
The whole point of E85 is to further reduce chance of knock and detonation as the fuel burns much cooler than pump gas. E85+ turbo applications is a win if you have a pump nearby. I built a 400+ whp turbo Honda and I ran E85 due to the power gains that can be had a lower boost pressure, plus the benefits I already mentioned.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The whole point of E85 is to further reduce chance of knock and detonation as the fuel burns much cooler than pump gas. E85+ turbo applications is a win if you have a pump nearby. I built a 400+ whp turbo Honda and I ran E85 due to the power gains that can be had a lower boost pressure, plus the benefits I already mentioned.
You're correct, and now I see my mistake. We don't have E85 in the PNW so I read it as 85 octane rather than 15% alcohol fuel. The only disadvantages would be the lower energy density/power when not boosting and making your engine alcohol compatible.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts