Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have read multiple threads on the zx6r shock install and i'm a little confused.

1) Why do I need spacers and such to install this shock? I was under the impression it would be a direct swap.

2) Can I install the zx6r shock with the reservoir facing down or is that the zx6RR shock only?

3) Why the hell am I still confused by all this? It seemed so simple and now it seems scary lol!

4) Heeeelllppp!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
The only things you need if you do not want to drill the bottom eye of the shock is the bolt/nut and spacer from an sv650. Otherwise you would need to drill out the hole to whatever it is 14mm I think?

Yes you can mount the reservoir down, just make sure you file the end of it down to clear the engine case safely, and you will need to reroute the ground wire for the starter to move it out of the way, just loosen and move it.

If your still confused about all of it I'm sorry and you might want to find medical help

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if I drill the bottom hole out no spacer or bolt and nut replacement needed.

If that's correct then i'm good to go. I already drilled the sucker lol.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I almost ruined a shock by believing it was 14mm without checking. I think its 12mm. Take a look at the bolt before you drill any holes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I drilled it out. I actually wanted the thicker 12mm bolt so buying new hardware was my plan B.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You drill the lower mount on the shock out to 12mm (31/64). Support the upper half of the bike. I hung mine from ratchet straps to the subframe by the rear pegs. Remove the back wheel, seat, gas tank, shock. Pop the first 3 wires in the front of the plastic tray loose and trim a square back to the fourth wire.Then install the new zx6r shock top mount first, reservoir facing up. Then install the lower mount bolt. Put the rest of the crap back on. I did it solo in about 2 hours taking my time. I'm no expert mechanic.

Do it you won't regret it!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts