Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got around to installing a USB charger on the bike. I used the Battery Tender USB charger since it's half the cost of the other ones I found and it gets much more consistent reviews.

Used an SAE cable and hooked it up to the accessory connector behind the air scoop, so it's connected to switched power.

Mounted the USB charger to my windscreen bracket so it's discrete. Also, by having the SAE cable run up to the USB charger, I can always disconnect it and plug something else into it if needed. I also liked that there are no modifications to any of the factory parts on the bike. The charger is attached with Velcro to the windscreen bracket, so it comes off easily if I want to swap windscreens or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Bumping an old thread, but was wondering does this USB plug drain the battery when the bikes not in use?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
He connected it to the accessory connector behind the right air scoop. This is switched with the key so it doesn't provide power with the ignition turned off. Nope, no battery drain.

·
Registered
96 Posts
He connected it to the accessory connector behind the right air scoop. This is switched with the key so it doesn't provide power with the ignition turned off. Nope, no battery drain.
Thanks for the response. What kind of accessory connector? I typed that into Amazon and Didn't find much.

So there's no actual "on/off" switch correct?

Sorry a little confused how this all works...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for the response. What kind of accessory connector? I typed that into Amazon and Didn't find much.
Check out this post. It answers your question and has a source for purchasing the right plug to connect to your USB adapter.

So there's no actual "on/off" switch correct?
Correct. It's tied into a relay under the seat that kills the power when you turn the key to the off position so there's no risk of draining the battery. When the bike is on, the line is always on regardless of whether or not you have something plugged into it.

Oh, and when you go to look for the connector under the right side fake air intake... look up. WAY up. They bury them well enough where it might look like you don't have anything there if you're just casually checking for it, but trust me it's in there.

If you decide you want to add something beyond the USB port, take a look at this thread as well for some ideas. You've got options from Cycle Terminal, Fuzeblock and Eastern Beaver among others should you want to add other devices or get some additional options for things that might draw more than what the accessory port is designed for. These connect directly to the battery. For example, I bought the Cycle Terminal harness with 2 switched leads (so it goes on and off with the ignition key) and another that's always on. That allows me to use my heated grips and garage door opener (switched so I can't kill the battery) and have one always on for when it's time to plug in the Battery Tender.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Check out this post. It answers your question and has a source for purchasing the right plug to connect to your USB adapter.

Correct. It's tied into a relay under the seat that kills the power when you turn the key to the off position so there's no risk of draining the battery. When the bike is on, the line is always on regardless of whether or not you have something plugged into it.

Oh, and when you go to look for the connector under the right side fake air intake... look up. WAY up. They bury them well enough where it might look like you don't have anything there if you're just casually checking for it, but trust me it's in there.

If you decide you want to add something beyond the USB port, take a look at this thread as well for some ideas. You've got options from Cycle Terminal, Fuzeblock and Eastern Beaver among others should you want to add other devices or get some additional options for things that might draw more than what the accessory port is designed for. These connect directly to the battery. For example, I bought the Cycle Terminal harness with 2 switched leads (so it goes on and off with the ignition key) and another that's always on. That allows me to use my heated grips and garage door opener (switched so I can't kill the battery) and have one always on for when it's time to plug in the Battery Tender.
Thank you so much for taking the time and locating the two threads.

So from my limited understanding of all things electrical. I need these items ?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for taking the time and locating the two threads.

So from my limited understanding of all things electrical. I need these items ?

You don't need the last Amazon item if you want to connect to the power source in the front scoop. You would only need it if you want to connect it directly to the battery.

For the proprietary connector at the bottom, that looks like the correct one, but I'm not positive. Interestingly, the connector inside the scoop already has the male connector attached, but it doesn't have the metal prongs in it. So I ended up just using those metal prongs, and not the plastic part.

And to confirm what was said earlier, my setup has no battery drain with the bike off.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You don't need the last Amazon item if you want to connect to the power source in the front scoop. You would only need it if you want to connect it directly to the battery.

For the proprietary connector at the bottom, that looks like the correct one, but I'm not positive. Interestingly, the connector inside the scoop already has the male connector attached, but it doesn't have the metal prongs in it. So I ended up just using those metal prongs, and not the plastic part.

And to confirm what was said earlier, my setup has no battery drain with the bike off.

thank you for chiming in jonlong. Since I'll be using the power source in the front scoop, I doubt I'll need a 48" SAE cord. Do you remember what length you got?
I'll have to open the front scoop to see what kind of connector it is. From the other thread posted they recommend getting that one. Hmmmm

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the 48" cord and cut off 12-18" (based on my note earlier in this thread). You're better off having more than you need since you're cutting one end off anyway.

·
Registered
96 Posts
So I'm leaving for my extended trip tmrw, of course last minute to install this. Had a question, did you cut/split the SAE cable (picture attached) and plugged it into the connector within the air scoop??

Can't attach picture. I have the accessory plug(s) but not quite sure how to use them. And you're right the bike already had the male and female end.... ?

-signed
Confused

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got the 48" cord and cut off 12-18" (based on my note earlier in this thread). You're better off having more than you need since you're cutting one end off anyway.

How does it connect once you cut it? Plug and play? I found that i might not need the proprietary male end? Sorry for all the newbie questions.

·
Registered
635 Posts
How does it connect once you cut it? Plug and play? I found that i might not need the proprietary male end? Sorry for all the newbie questions.

When I did mine I just cut off the factory plug, soldered/heat shrank the wires. One could put bullet style connectors(radio shack) on instead so removal is easier.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When I did mine I just cut off the factory plug, soldered/heat shrank the wires. One could put bullet style connectors(radio shack) on instead so removal is easier.
Thanks for replying. I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs on Google. I didn't know soldering would be part of this install. Maybe I should just wire it directly into my battery???

·
Banned
206 Posts
Thanks for replying. I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs on Google. I didn't know soldering would be part of this install. Maybe I should just wire it directly into my battery???

from my understanding you cut tye 48 inch wire down , splice and crimp onto 2 pins and stick into stock male connector

1 - 20 of 37 Posts