Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ST3 R or FZ-09? I live at higher elevation

I stay in Denver. At 6k feet, we lose about 15-20% of the power available (a 3% loss of power for every 1k feet elevation gain is how I approximate it).

I have a choice between a 2010 Street triple R for $7000 (7 thousand miles) or buy a new 2014 FZ-09 for $8000. Note that the 2010 ST3 R makes a little more power than later models. Also the ST R 3 I am talking about comes with roughly $600 worth of accessories. I had a 2009 Ninja 650R and sold it because I felt like it lacked power esp. at this altitude.

I am never going to take the bike on to a track or take it on rides longer than 4 hours. My focus is comfort, handling and power in all ranges. What in your opinion is the right choice? I'm as confused as one can be. Appreciate any input I can get.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
My focus is comfort, handling and power in all ranges. What in your opinion is the right choice? I'm as confused as one can be. Appreciate any input I can get.
Comfy: Can be done... Seat need upgrade
Handling: Can be done... Rear shock and front spring upgrade is strongly suggested
Power: More than you ever need!

So basically the FZ09 as a solid platform to work from. Bone stock this is a solid bike with enough character to keep you entertain for a while. With few mods that can be done on a reasonable budget the bike is just as perfect as it can get for the road. Eyeball 120-140 miles range on a tank if you milk it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Those are two totally different bikes. Ones a naked and the other a ST.

I think you may want to hold off awhile till the new FJ-09 arrives.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Marthy, Thank you for your response. I test rode the FZ-09 just a few minutes ago. What an awesome bike! Nimble and powerful. Two things I would like to change though..1. The front suspension could be stiffer - I've been riding for 20 years but consider myself to be an amateur...and even I could definitely notice it. Dealer says there are some adjustments available that could be used to stiffen the suspension w/o spending more money. 2. I can't think of any reasons why they would paint the wheels purple on a black color bike. Dealer said they can powder coat the wheels black for $500. I might just go for the red one. Anywho, I didn't feel any lack of power at all and it feels safe. I will hopefully get to test ride the triumph street triple r this evening.

Deadduck357, I thought street triple 3 and fz-09 are both naked bikes ?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've ridden an ST3, but not an R. The ST3 weighs about 50lbs more and has lower bars - so it feels slower steering and feels a lot heavier. They both have touchy throttles at slow speeds - but the ST3 will shudder if you shift too soon where the FZ won't. The suspension on the standard ST3 is comperable to the fz09, the R's should be better. The ST's are reliable, but any Ducati is going to cost you more to maintain than the FZ09. The killer to me though is the really low seat on the ST3. I don't want to sit that low, and if I carry a passenger I don't want them that much higher than me. Personally, the ST's to me seem like Ducati's answer to the VFR800 - and I'd take the VFR over it. But I'd still take the FZ over either of them.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I assume you are talking about the street triple R. Either get the Speed triple R or the fz-09. Don't waste your time on the street triple.

Reactions: stunva

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've ridden an ST3, but not an R. The ST3 weighs about 50lbs more and has lower bars - so it feels slower steering and feels a lot heavier. They both have touchy throttles at slow speeds - but the ST3 will shudder if you shift too soon where the FZ won't. The suspension on the standard ST3 is comperable to the fz09, the R's should be better. The ST's are reliable, but any Ducati is going to cost you more to maintain than the FZ09. The killer to me though is the really low seat on the ST3. I don't want to sit that low, and if I carry a passenger I don't want them that much higher than me. Personally, the ST's to me seem like Ducati's answer to the VFR800 - and I'd take the VFR over it. But I'd still take the FZ over either of them.
Hmmmmmm......

You know the street triple is a Triumph yeah?

;)

·
Registered
555 Posts
What, you don't enjoy having constant electrical issues?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hahaha no thanks.

I had my heart set on a Street Triple R before I set eyes on the 09. Glad I did too, as it saved me 4 grand and got me a much more awesomer bike.

Awesomer. Is that even a word?!?

Either way its better than the Street Triple lol. Especially now the suspension is sorted. But I am biased.........love Yamaha quality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I meant the street triple R. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks again everyone for your input. At this point I am leaning toward fz-09.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey when you say suspension is sorted, can you elaborate. Please.
Certainly.

Parts ordered via Stoltec Moto, a supporting vendor on this site and fantastic service.

I ordered a Penske 8900 emulsion rear shock, and some heavier front springs to replace the soft stock ones. Together, these totally transform the bike. There are more uprated versions of the shock available with remote reservoirs, but I am not that spirited of a rider to require that amount of adjustment.

Search threads started by "Stoltec Moto" for all the goodies that have been developed for this bike, both by Nick @ Stoltec himself and also in conjuction with other reputable manufacturers.

See here for more info:

http://www.fz09.org/forum/31-stoltec-moto/776-penske-shock-lineup-now-available.html
http://www.fz09.org/forum/31-stoltec-moto/1287-fork-products-services.html
http://www.fz09.org/forum/31-stoltec-moto/1168-got-ecu-we-do.html
http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-builds/412-stoltec-project-bike-gonna-long-thread.html
Stoltec Moto

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yaniv, for what it's worth I'm at ~5,000 ft and there's certainly nothing lackluster about the performance of this bike. I'm still breaking mine in so I can't comment on the longer rides or fuel mileage (although my first tank was just shy of 50mpg indicated). The higher elevation roads in my area are still closed off but so far power hasn't been a problem, especially with all the torque down low that hits well before you start climbing into the higher RPMs.

Sorry I can't add something helpful on the other items but I'd say it's safe to say you won't be ruling out this bike for power reasons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yaniv, for what it's worth I'm at ~5,000 ft and there's certainly nothing lackluster about the performance of this bike. I'm still breaking mine in so I can't comment on the longer rides or fuel mileage (although my first tank was just shy of 50mpg indicated). The higher elevation roads in my area are still closed off but so far power hasn't been a problem, especially with all the torque down low that hits well before you start climbing into the higher RPMs.

Sorry I can't add something helpful on the other items but I'd say it's safe to say you won't be ruling out this bike for power reasons.
Thanks electricblue. That information is helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks every one for your input.

I test drove both bikes and ended up buying the 2010 Triumph Street Triple R for $7000 (7k miles with around $600 worth of accessories included).

Fz-09 is a FANTASTIC bike and I will be buying that as well next year when I have some more money. Who knows, Yamaha may introduce some improvements to this bike for the same retail price or even introduce a new bike. I could even buy a used FZ-09 and use the information Poogamer69 gave me to make some upgrades. I know I will be getting one next summer though. I don't mind having both bikes :)

I have to make payments on me Camaro 1LE as well right now so financially triumph made more sense - it seems better on gas as well. Hey every dollar counts right.

Thanks again for all your inputs, its been very helpful.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I prefer the 09 but what you did makes sense. Hang around the forum for updates on products etc for when you get your 09. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts