Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been lurking around for a while but finally found some time to get some pics to post my intro. I'm from the Los Angeles / Culver city area and couple of months back I picked up a 2014 FZ09. I have mostly owned liter bikes like Speed Triple, Z1000, Super Duke 990, CBR1000RR, Multistrada and Hyper SP 820. Trained / Raced supermoto for a little while before breaking my left knee on the track. Took a break for a year and now I'm back with the FZ. Great value bike with very annoying and disconnected throttle. Here are the mods so far..

Front valving and new spring from RG3 Suspension. Not perfect yet but working on the valving.
Rear Penske double clicker
Rizoma front and rear turn signals
T-rex complete slider kit
EJK fuel controller
Flash Tune ECU flash at the moment. Ran Vcyclenut flash to begin with. He provided great CS but just didn't work for me.
Saddlemen seat
eBay tail tidy
Rizoma brake light
Tech spec tank grip
Akra Carbon full system
K&N air filter
Mojo garage opener
Kev's O2 optimizer (Disconnected at the moment)
Rear reservoir relocation
Front brake speigler brake line / HH brake pads
ASV levers
DIY Home deopt Radiator guard
Gpr v4 stab (being installed)
G2 Throttle tamer.

Thinking about RCS 19 front Master.

Finally I want to thank all the contributors for the wealth of information in this forum.

These pictures were taken on Piuma rd off of PCH.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk4DHtDg

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Welcome to the site and cograts on your newest machine. It's obvious that you've done your homework. Given your experience it will be real interesting to get your opinion on the differences regarding the pros and cons of all the bikes you've owned. First hand information is always appreciated. You will clearly be an asset to our group.

Your FZ looks great!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the site and cograts on your newest machine. It's obvious that you've done your homework. Given your experience it will be real interesting to get your opinion on the differences regarding the pros and cons of all the bikes you've owned. First hand information is always appreciated. You will clearly be an asset to our group.

Your FZ looks great!
Thanks Tigershark! I believe all the bikes I have owned were designed for a specific purpose and for a targeted audience. We would love to pull a Multistrada out of every bike but even the Multi aka swiss army knife of bikes was a sports touring mc in its core capabilities.

If I still had all my bikes in my garage this would be my preference before I pick one to head out..

Canyon carving - Hyper SP, 2010 Z1000 (Too buzzy and short geared for the track / long distance)or Super duke 990 (Usual KTM quality issues/ less reliable)
Commute or long distance - Multistrada 1200 or Hyper SP 820 (Good range and quality components). Both felt well sorted out of the box.
Track - Husqvarna 450 SMR, CBR1000RR or Hyper SP

Never felt connected with the 2008 Speed Triple (round head lights). It was too top heavy but nice motor though.

At the moment I would use the FZ09 only for commutes. Its Throttle response / fuel mapping is very inconsistent based on my 2000 miles experience so far. Once past 5K rpm it feels like a totally different bike but unfortunately the power delivery is too temperamental below 5K. I'm still hunting for confidence to throw the bike in to a turn and pick her up and gun it for the next turn. I believe this bike is totally capable of doing that. Typically I would have settled in to good base setting by now but for some reason this horse needs more time to be tamed.

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts