Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, since my butt couldn't stand the stock seat for any length of time, I decided to have a local guy redo mine and put better foam in it, reshape it slightly, and flatten it out a bit to take away some of the forward slope. Then, he recovered it with a carbon fiber looking material using Red thread to match the Rapid Red of the bike. I just got it back today, and haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but hopefully this weekend, weather permitting. It still looks like it's got too much forward slope, but I'm going to test it out before making any decisions on that part of it. If it does, I can take it back and he will do some more work on it to make it better for me. So, here are a couple of pictures that I took of the seat off of the bike.......

Overhead shot with the seat off the bike.....duh!

Side view of the seat....

Random shot of the seat.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
looks really good aside from the crap red color but we can't fault you for buying the wrong color bike i suppose.

Mind sharing info on pricing? Just curious what you paid vs. what i paid a guy that Niner and I used.

I'm hopefully getting mine this week as well after 2 weeks of radio silence (and me getting a bit angry internally) i finally got confirmation it's being shipped back today.

Reactions: Niner

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The cost was $190 for everything. I put the seat on the bike a while ago and it still looks like it's got quite a lot of forward slant to it, but I'm reserving any judgement on it until I ride it and see what it feels like. One of the things I had him do is to make the seat 3/4" wider on each side, up towards the front on the seat....to offer a little more area for weight distribution.......a really nice way to say...."to accommodate my A$$

Here are two pics of the seat mounted on the bike...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
damn that's a good price. Is he going to work with you if you want changes or what?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
damn that's a good price. Is he going to work with you if you want changes or what?
He said he would. I really don't think he got the slope out as much as I had drawn with a marker on the picture that I gave him....but like I said, I'll ride it first and make a judgement then.

He did the seat on my DorsoDuro a couple of years ago and he was spot on with that one. We'll just have to wait and see how it feels. My "butt-o-meter will let me know pretty quick!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Looks good and material (carbon fiber finish) looks similar to the one on the concept seat I just sent to have installed. A bit concerned it will be slippery with my textile pants, but looking forward to try it. At 190$ your guy is pretty cheap. It cost me more for the Concept Seat once shipped to Canada.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Looks really good. Looks like Sergent could have made it. Very impressed.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, almost 250 miles today on the newly recovered/reworked seat and it's much better than stock.....butt (pun intended), it's going to have to go back and get some more work done to it. My second set of pictures shows that the seat is still sloped from the rear towards the front and it still makes my hips rotate enough that I'm sitting on the bony part of my rearend. The new foam in the seat is a lot better than stock, and honestly, that's a huge improvement, but I want it to be perfect or almost so. The guy did make the seat pretty flat, if you are holding the seat level, but when it is mounted on the bike, the forward slope is there because of the way the seat sits on the frame of the bike. So, I'll drop it off tomorrow after going by there today and letting them take some pictures of how it's mounted on the bike. Maybe by next weekend the whole thing will be resolved.

Reactions: rbtmomo and marthy

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Same here. My seat and my a$$ will spend a lot of time together this weekend. Let's see how it goes and if I need to rework the padding.

Sucks that my trip got swap a weekend early. I should get my saddle bags early next week. I was stuck using my old tank bag mounted as a tail bag. Enough goodies for a 2 1/2 trip but its kind of in the way... keep moving forward. I'll work the straps again tomorrow am before we get going. Departure 830... finally gonna see whats the dragon is all about. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
730 Posts
Enjoy, Marty.... Speed safe!

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Well, since my butt couldn't stand the stock seat for any length of time, I decided to have a local guy redo mine and put better foam in it, reshape it slightly, and flatten it out a bit to take away some of the forward slope. Then, he recovered it with a carbon fiber looking material using Red thread to match the Rapid Red of the bike. I just got it back today, and haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but hopefully this weekend, weather permitting. It still looks like it's got too much forward slope, but I'm going to test it out before making any decisions on that part of it. If it does, I can take it back and he will do some more work on it to make it better for me. So, here are a couple of pictures that I took of the seat off of the bike.......

Overhead shot with the seat off the bike.....duh!

Side view of the seat....

Random shot of the seat.
The seat looks nice but I really like your ceramic Basset Hound that's guarding your seat.

We had a tri colored Basset for a dozen years. He looked a lot like your ceramic one. We had him for 12 years then had to put him down. That was the toughest day of my adult life.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Same here. My seat and my a$$ will spend a lot of time together this weekend. Let's see how it goes and if I need to rework the padding.

Sucks that my trip got swap a weekend early. I should get my saddle bags early next week. I was stuck using my old tank bag mounted as a tail bag. Enough goodies for a 2 1/2 trip but its kind of in the way... keep moving forward. I'll work the straps again tomorrow am before we get going. Departure 830... finally gonna see whats the dragon is all about. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

the dragon is fun but clogged up with harleys and cops. there are other roads in the area just as fun with nowhere near as much traffic. pretty much every road around there is fun

·
Registered
209 Posts
the dragon is fun but clogged up with harleys and cops. there are other roads in the area just as fun with nowhere near as much traffic. pretty much every road around there is fun
Indeed. However I go anyway mainly so I can buy the photos later. I make a few passes for the cameras and then head out to the devils triangle, cherahala, the snake, the rattler, etc, etc. Take your pick. They are all more enjoyable and less crowded than the dragon.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Indeed. However I go anyway mainly so I can buy the photos later. I make a few passes for the cameras and then head out to the devils triangle, cherahala, the snake, the rattler, etc, etc. Take your pick. They are all more enjoyable and less crowded than the dragon.

moonshiners pass or something like that is another good one. yea gotta love the pics for sure.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATED....6/11/14 with reworked seat.....

I got the seat back this afternoon when I got off work and got it on the bike. Here are a couple of pics of the way the seat looks now, after my seat guy worked on it again. I obviously haven't ridden it yet, and probably won't get a chance until this coming Sunday, as I'm working some overtime on Fri and Saturday. Notice, that with the seat mounted on the bike now, the seating area is almost completely level or flat. This should keep from rotating my hips forward and making me sit on my bony area of my butt, which should alleviate some or most of the pain after 60 - 70 miles like before.....

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ride Update.....

I rode yesterday with the revised seat installed and it is just simply AWESOME! My ride was cut shorter than I had originally planned as my wife's bike developed a mechanical issue about half way through the ride and we had to get the truck to bring it home....a front wheel bearing started making noise and I wasn't about to risk letting her ride it home.

The seat now makes riding the FZ actually comfortable and allows a riding position that takes your weight off of the two bones in your butt. Well worth the approx.$200 spent. I will warn you though, it raises the seating height approx. 1 inch, so for anyone that is already tippy-toed on the bike, it might be a bit too much.

Reactions: doozerdave

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hey Vern, you mentioned that you widened the seat at the front. I've noticed that with the stock seat I get sore on the inside of my thighs from the edge of the seat. I guess the low footpegs and squeezing the tank with my knees is causing more pressure in that area (I'm 5'10" with about 30" inseam). I was thinking that getting rearsets to raise the pegs a bit would help, and raising the seat with better foam would possibly make this worse for me. Your seat looks well rounded at the edges. Have you ever experienced this sort of pain, and if so is it better with your new seat? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts