Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I never got around to posting this before i broke the bike. And i didn't take pics as i diod it, but I'm sure you'll get the gist of it...
I had an old acerbis LED vision headlight that was terrible as a headlight, but looked cool. Since i needed a screen so i took out the headlight part, and I started cutting

started with this.
2010-acerbis-d-o-t--led-vision-hp-headlight-mcss.jpg
made some brackets from some pre made galvanised steel pre-bent bracket from bunnings, a super mega giant hardware store kinda deal. Cut to size, drilled some of the holes larger, and made 2 of the holes slotted so i could adjust the angle. Painted them black because i'm hard core.
brackets.jpg

And basically cut the bottom/headlight part off the acerbis, and bolted it together. The acerbis is fork mounted, so the existing acerbis tabs were the right width with the brackets mounted through the 4 bolts on top of the headlight.
front on.jpg zoomed in1.jpg
zoomed in2.jpg

I used a real acerbis because it was in my garage, but you can get chinese copies dirt cheap on ebay - unless you have to ship them to Aus. Good news for you yanks. it also means that any fork mounted mask should work.
When i changed the angle, i could feel a massive difference to where the air would hit me. Think of it more as an air foil than a screen. I could aim it up so it hit me right in the visor/fore head if i wanted (i'm 6'4) but that was annoying, so i rotated it down a bit.
Since i was being lazy, for my new MT i just bought a puig sport clitoris. The acerbis custom jobby is at least as effective as the puig, but (IMHO) looks better, as it gives the MT more of a motard look.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Looks pretty nice, did you retain the white LED's? (I have this headlight on my SM)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, i was cutting it while having a few beers, less planned and more bull at a gate. I ended up cutting part of the bottom row of LEDs off, if you know what I mean, but you could probably cut less off and leave them in.
It would leave an air intake/vent looking hole once you take the acerbis headlight out, though. If you wanted to get super tricky, you could put your own LEDs in as indicators.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Riding with a few mates last November. It sounded like riding through hail as they smacked your visor. There were quite a few bugs.
And sport clitoris 'cause every cu..s got one.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Barkbuster ego.
You need to file down the end of the levers a bit as they fit so close( or use shorties). My new mt has polisport ones, much more room, and probably enough room for a radial mc.

And I just looked at the link, that shapes a bit different, but should do the job. Take more pics than I did when you do it, and post a thread.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep - great for you guys in the U.S., cheap screen cheap postage.
Here in Aus, it ended up as cheap screen and getting stung on postage, so I got lazy and bought a puig. Still like the looks of the cut down one better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts