Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
been reading here since maybe march or something like that while collecting infos about the FZ,
now that I'm a very happy owner since 1 month why not become a member of the Fz09 family.

This is my first bike in ten years and my first new bike ever, what can I say else than H--y S--t this feels good to be back on 2 wheels.
I thought my old cbr900 was a fun bike... the FZ feels so much stronger.

So far I did a few mods.

Protaper RM low with small oxford bar-ends
Cheap ass chineese led blinkers w relay and blinker genie for the front
Puig sport flyscreen
Zero dollar render eliminator mod, not the best but looks much better than stock.

And bought some gear like a santuary jacket and short gloves, Arai helmet is pretty old but in good shape, so this will wait till my wallet grows back to it's usual size.

I'm not a suspension expert, but at 200 pounds, I can tell this thing needs work, for now I'll go the zx10 shock and new fork spring and oil.
I also plan dropping the front maybe 1/4-3/8 just to lean a little bit more foward.

So that's it, I'm back as a motorcyclist and very happy about it.

Reactions: cthouse

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Welcome. Glad you decided to post. :eagerness:

You might want to look into replacing that helmet -- Word on The Street is that they are essentially worthless after 5 years....others will chime in on this one, but there are plenty On Sale/Closeouts if you search the internet. Better safe than sorry. Many Closeouts in Arei, Shoei, and Scorpion at Revzilla and Amazon.

Please, this is one that probably shouldn't wait.....you can get a decent helmet $150-250 to hold you awhile. :cool:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum. I still have my 98'CBR900RR. What year did you have?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
If he wanted the Fastest FZ-09 he got a Red One;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Welcome. Glad you decided to post. :eagerness:

You might want to look into replacing that helmet -- Word on The Street is that they are essentially worthless after 5 years....others will chime in on this one, but there are plenty On Sale/Closeouts if you search the internet. Better safe than sorry. Many Closeouts in Arei, Shoei, and Scorpion at Revzilla and Amazon.

Please, this is one that probably shouldn't wait.....you can get a decent helmet $150-250 to hold you awhile. :cool:
I would point out that there are a lot of riders who ride no helmet whatsoever. Even an old helmet (especially Arai) is much better than hair gel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats and welcome to the forum. I still have my 98'CBR900RR. What year did you have?
The CBR was from 98 ans was the black edition (the fastest)

A fine bike indeed! What color did you get? Inquiring minds ( Steve ) want to know.
Got a blazing orange, when I bought it I was pretty late, so no graphite for me, not so bad I hate the blue/purple wheels, no offense to anyone.
Orange was my second choice, easy to change color if needed since only the tank is painted, I'd like marine blue on mine, I'd call it apocalyptic blue.
The true fastest color, only nobody knows yet.

I would point out that there are a lot of riders who ride no helmet whatsoever. Even an old helmet (especially Arai) is much better than hair gel.
You're right lol, I would put a helmet even if not needed, just to avoid all kind of bugs hitting my face at 70+ mph is worth it, I'm thinking maybe that's why 3/4 helmets users have that pissed off face while riding :).

Seriously, I'm looking for a new helmet, but ''falling'' from an Arai will be a little hard, I hate noise and don't use earplugs, so I try to find something quiet.
For style I like:
-AGV skyline and horizon but from reviews they are noisy
-Shark speed-R
-Shoei quest and maybe RF1200 but over budget
-Bell RS1
-HJC Rpha 10, by now it looks like this will be the one, must try it before, been told that you can't choose a helmet, the helmet will choose you.

Almost round head shape doesn't help either...

Will put some pics of the bike and my new discovery, my new piece of gear you'll all envy,
short of time for tonight, kids to sleep and stuff, will keep the suspense untill next time.

See ya

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
"A Lot of riders who ride no helmet..."

That sounds Crazy to me. It's actually "unbelievable" to imagine anyone riding a MC at any speed and/or in traffic w/o any Helmet. Why would anyone be so callous with their Life & their Future....???
Life is short enough as it is......

Hair Gel...??? Never tried it:cool:

Reactions: Da Braddah

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let's try to put some pics:
2014-08-30 17.55.06.jpg

I realised something, I really like orange, Ridgid 18V power tools and two shop vacs from Home depot, Husqvarna chaisaw and leaf blower and the fz on top of that.

Since last post, rear zx10 shock and 90 springs + 10wt oil are installed, what a differrence, the front was dropped 3/8 before the suspension mod, raised it at 1/4 to compensate the rear end lift from the kawi shock.
Maybe it's still a little too much in front drop, last time I drove it hard, I experienced wobbling at around 100-110 mph going straight, so no way I'm going beyond that until I find the cause.
Maybe geometry of the frame is too much tilted foward, or settings are bad, or my backpack, but I'm no suspension expert.

Brand new HJC Rpha10 evoke + dark smoke visor
2014-08-30 16.15.14.jpg
Full review in the helmet thread soon, I like it a lot.

Some misc gear I just bought because it was just funny.
2014-08-03 23.15.24.jpg

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Under good conditions and steady speed you shouldn't have a wobble at that speed. I'd say very unlikely the backpack is an issue, unless maybe it is violently being buffeted side to side, in which case you'd notice it lol.

Could be geometry, or rear real alignment, etc. How much longer than stock is the Kawasaki shock?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I just bought a new HJC RPHA-10 Cage and I'm absolutely loving it. Very lightweight and very comfortable....flows good too!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I just bought a new HJC RPHA-10 Cage and I'm absolutely loving it. Very lightweight and very comfortable....flows good too!
i have the RPS 10 (one model year behind the RPHA-10) - for the price - it's significantly less expensive than an arai and shoei and i felt it was more comfortable and still snell rated / fits a commuinicator well/ pin lock shield/ . Would buy another one in a heartbeat.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Beck.....I've got an RPS also. It's about 4 years old but I still really like it too.....Ben Spies...Monster Edition...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Welcome. Front end wobble at speed is consistent with poor geometry. Check front tire alignment with rear and perhaps raise the front a bit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Blazingly fast bike!the best color!
Look behind man,you will see jealous ppl with their red or blurple slow bikes that look like yours..

·
Registered
44 Posts
The orange paint with flakes in the sun is gorgeous , welcome to the addiction! I wonder if anyone has created front fender and rear under seat panels (like red one).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks all.

I knew something was missing, mad hornet shortys.
Some Tomoc copys are on the way also.
And bougth some progrips 714, the smallness of stock handle is hurting my hands for any ride over half an hour, changed gloves and it doesn't help, grips are way cheaper than gloves...
We'll see if 714s will be enough, I may need some more I think.

And lastly, to my taste, those golden forks need to go, so cheaply made they just not deserve gold color and it bug my eyes, I'm planning a black dip.
Black anodize would be the best, but here up north riding seasons are short and down time sucks, I'll keep that for the cold.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts