Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the site and I know y'all get asked this all the time, about the fz 9 as a first bike. I read the other thread and I know its a whole lotta bike, and ill advised to start on one. But how does it compare to start on a 600 super sport. I know they are also not very good starter bikes, but it has been done on 600s. So how would the fz 9 stack up against them. E.g quickness top end breaking unforgiving throttle things like that. I know as a rookie motorcyclists mistakes are going to happen and the type of bike is a major contributer to how severe the mistakes are, so would an fz9 be more forgiving then a 600 super sport, or are they both about the same and setting a new rider up for failure? Thank you for your help in advance. And sorry for bringing up the same ol same ol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do yourself a favor, and maybe start out on a 250 or 500 cc bike. They are cheap to buy and insure, and if and when you drop it, you won't feel as bad. The Fz09 makes allot of torque and a significant amount of ponys, just because the ergos are comforatable does not mean its a starter bike. I would suggest a Ninja 250 or 300. Buy a used one and ride the shit out of it, throw it on the ground as soon as you buy it and get that over with LOL. There is an old saying when talking about motorcyclists, " theirs those who have been down and those who are going down" Ride a used pos for at least a season, then brake out the cash and buy a Fz09 used next year. Oh yeah and take a motorcycle course. And try to remember you are not Nicky Hayden..........

·
Registered
132 Posts
I recently started riding on the street again after years of offroad riding and even riding scooters and minis, I had a Honda Repsol 250 and I just bought a Honda GROM ! I tell you what the GROM is a blast and a great starter bike and it is only around $3400 but if you want a little more try the 250 or 500 they are fun too!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I won't rehash anything we've already covered, but I will say this: If you really feel you have to start on a bike like this or a 600 SS... I hope you have more self control than I did when I started out! If you are a cautious, meticulous, thoughtful planner type of person with very good throttle control and have the patience to take it one step, one level of performance at a time... you may buck the odds and not crash your first bike. If you're an impulsive, brash, thrill seeking adrenaline junky... go get a thrashed 250 ninja, scare yourself a few times and gain some (self)control over the throttle! ... IMHO :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I know of at least 500 first time bike owners on a multitude of bike forums. About 10% of those actually took the advice of seasoned veteran riders, bought a 250 and are still riding today. About 89% didn't listen and bought 600-750-1000cc crotch rockets and they all got hurt bad....killed themselves...lost their license...or scared the shit out themselves so bad they quit riding. Only ONE guy from the forums bought a new CBR 1000rr and is still riding today. On a Kawasaki 650 versys because he said the tickets came too easy...the insurance was too high...and he couldn't afford to buy tires every month on the CBR.

If you are the least bit worried about if a FZ-09 can keep up with your buddies on their 600 crotchrockets....then you'll likely not be riding anymore a year from now. Peer pressure is something that doesn't apply in this game....and if you fall for it.... it's going to bite you in the ass...guaranteed.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I agree with the previous posts. Starting on any high-performance motorcycle is possible, but the odds are stacked heavily against the rider who makes this choice. I recommend starting with a 250, but the choice is ultimately yours. And definitely take the Basic Rider Course, where you would likely ride a 250 provided by the course operator.

·
Vendor
2,335 Posts
I'm on the 250/500 bandwagon.
You can find a cheap Suzuki GS500, Ninja 500, or Ninja 250.
Buy it over this winter for cheap, get your "learn on", sell it next summer (or whenever you feel confident enough to "upgrade").
IMO, you will have a much better [riding] foundation starting on a smaller displacement bike.
Also, chances are that you will get just as much money for it when you go to resell it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I honestly couldn't advocate this as a beginner bike. You aren't going to send yourself rocketing off with a mild twist of the throttle, especially in B mode but it is a fast bike, with a slightly grabby front brake. That being said it is still a beast when you get on it and I wouldn't want that kind of force as my first ride.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hey guys I'm new to the site and I know y'all get asked this all the time, about the fz 9 as a first bike. I read the other thread and I know its a whole lotta bike, and ill advised to start on one. But how does it compare to start on a 600 super sport. I know they are also not very good starter bikes, but it has been done on 600s. So how would the fz 9 stack up against them. E.g quickness top end breaking unforgiving throttle things like that. I know as a rookie motorcyclists mistakes are going to happen and the type of bike is a major contributer to how severe the mistakes are, so would an fz9 be more forgiving then a 600 super sport, or are they both about the same and setting a new rider up for failure? Thank you for your help in advance. And sorry for bringing up the same ol same ol
Dual-Purpose might be a good option for you too. OR, you could just say fck it and get the FZ-09! lol

Reactions: robby54

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
As a fellow noob, the one that chose to start on the FZ-09 despite what many experienced riders here recommend (though I am one of those that Mothy described, disciplined, meticulous, staying in B mode, staying well within my limits, patient, and I know myself in high performance/stress situations because of my past as a USAF C-17 pilot): no matter which way you go, be sure your budget includes a good set of riding gear: DOT AND Snell certified helmet, gloves, boots, pants, jacket.

And take the MSF courses as quickly as you're able.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys thabks for all the responds. I'm not worried about keeping up with all my crotch rocket buddies, mainly bc I don't have any. I was just curious as to how the fz 9 compares to a 600 super sport I user friendly-ness. I know neither one of them are ideal starter bike as I previously stated. And im not necessarily looking to get either one as a first bike I was just wondering. I'm really thinking about starting on a motard like the drz 400sm.

·
Vendor
2,335 Posts
Hey guys thabks for all the responds. I'm not worried about keeping up with all my crotch rocket buddies, mainly bc I don't have any. I was just curious as to how the fz 9 compares to a 600 super sport I user friendly-ness. I know neither one of them are ideal starter bike as I previously stated. And im not necessarily looking to get either one as a first bike I was just wondering. I'm really thinking about starting on a motard like the drz 400sm.
Yamaha WR250X... FI, nimble, etc. <3

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, I'm not in the business of telling other free people what to do with their money and or life but I will relate my personal experience for you to consider.

First off, I'm a fat man (losing weight), and when I first started riding I still chose a ninja 250 over any other starting bike. I will admit, I looked ridiculous riding it, and after riding it for a month, I felt like I had "outgrown" the motorcycle but that was my ego talking and not reality. The reality was, I had outgrown the feeling of acceleration at full throttle, I was no longer getting that adrenaline pump when at WOT. If I was to go riding around crazy curvy roads, I would limp back to being a slow, new rider, and that adrenaline pump would come back. The biggest thing is when you make a mistake on the throttle when entering or exiting a corner on a 250, its much easier to recover from then a heavier, faster, bike.

That being said, I went from a 250 to a cbr 929rr. I had only ridden the 250 for 9 months and if I could go back in time I would of waited another year until I made the transition. The difference between a 250cc single cylinder standard and a inline 4 fuel injected sport bike is immeasurable. It was like learning how to ride all over again as the throttle was way more sensitive and the handling characteristics were very different. Of course, I also had way more fun on the sport bike (too much fun, lost my license once) and wanted to ride it more than the 250.

Now I have the fz and let me tell you I love this bike. It is so much fun to ride I love it! It has more torque down low than the 929 but makes overall less power so I feel like its a great compromise to keep me out of a jail :D

Cliff notes: You decide the type of rider you're going to be. If you can ride around responsibly while you're getting down the basic handling characteristics and avoid the temptation of WOT while learning you can probably survive this bike. It's your money buy what you want but be careful and ride safe!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Well said xe0. Everyone has a different learning curve, on average I'd say a 50-70hp bike is a good next step from a Ninja 250. On something like an old SV650 you can be WOT a lot more often than a 929 without getting in trouble with the law or physics but it has enough performance for even an experienced rider to have fun with.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Buy what you want. I agree with eolith. Look man if you buy a 250 and like it then you are just going to upgrade anyways. Just be safe and take MSF. Also ride until you feel comfortable then push the limits. DO IT MAN BUY ONE

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I was just curious as to how the fz 9 compares to a 600 super sport I user friendly-ness.
The biggest differences would be riding position and midrange power.
FZ has an upright riding position like an MX bike, helps to see over cars and the wide bars give you a real sense of control and balance at slow speeds. SS is hunched over narrow bars... it puts a lot of weight on your lower arms, wrists and hands. FZ is much more comfortable.
FZ has no fairing - you will feel the full blast of air on your chest, plus driving in the wake of trucks can sometimes shake the change out of your pockets! (ok, not really!) SS offers good wind protection, but it may cause buffeting (wind moving side to side) around your helmet if your head is too low or the windscreen design is poor. It can be really annoying sometimes!
FZ makes amazing mid range power, it truly shines in traffic when you need to make quick passes or you need to get out of a situation. The SS power is mostly on the top end of the rev range, thou some are making strides towards more usable power for real world riding situations, instead of just the track.
For 2 up riding they are probably similar in that they aren't that comfortable for the passenger.
As much as I miss my '86 900 Ninja, the FZ09 is so much more fun to ride... it's one of those bikes that becomes an extension of the rider very quickly... it's just so responsive and lively. I have no regrets...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think that we all have been fed too much "performance" juice. In 1988 I bought GSXR 750 as my first street bike. Almost killed myself, sold the bike and was gone from the seat for 20 years. I came back with a Superhawk (two of them), then RC51 and finally BMW R1100S (not ready for the BMW deal yet). I now live abroad and ride a 135cc no power making Indian machine. The roads here are shit, the traffic horrible so the reality in US is different, but let me tell you that I have so much fun on this shitty little bike. 50 MPH feels like you are going 150MPH but if you fall you are only doing it at 50. I have changed my attitude about my perfect bike. Smaller, lighter fun machine is where it is for me. So go get 250-500 something and have some fun. Stay off highways, pick the curvy, less traveled roads and you will see that 50 feels like 150. Since you are a pilot buying the 09 would be like buying an Extra 300 or a Pitts Special as your first plane, to do a loop or a roll takes no skill since the plane has so much performance (until you piss it off, get into flat inverted spin and bit the big one). Now get into a clipped wing 65 hp Cub and try to loop or roll the thing. Now that calls for skill, and it is almost impossible to piss off a Cub. Once you get that skill in the Cub then an Extra makes sense.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I honestly wish I had a CBR300R or something like that I could push hard. I simply will not push my -09 for years to come. Not necessarily a beginner, but I've never owned a bike as powerful as this one.

You'll pry my 09 from my cold dead hands though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts