Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got my ejk and block off plates but now I have another problem...no matter what I do..I cant seem to get the area where the m4 clamps onto the header to seal properly..no weird exhaust noises coming From it but when I put my hand in that area I can feel air blowing out...i tried using high temp silicon but had the same issue.

I think the problem might be where I cut the original exhaust..I cut where the weld meets the header not where the weld meets the cat portion...I originally cut there but couldn't get the exhaust to fit inside so I just cut the rest of the weld off instead of grinding it down...

My question...should I put a wider clamp to fully cover those slits in the exhaust or should I get it welded? The original clamp barely covers those slits and since the header doesn't fully cover those slits..I think that's where is leaking from

Any other suggestion would be appreciated as well...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Get it welded. You cut too much off instead of grinding down the existing weld so you lost too much length to clamp to.

Reactions: vcyclenut

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys..I like the idea of welding a small pipe into the stock headers so I'll look into both!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Slip on exhaust for the FZ is sketchy man

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you can't get it welded then a slip-on insert between the two pipes will work also. Just ensure the pipes have smooth edges on both sides or they will need to be grind smooth with a file or dremel grinding bit.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Not a deal breaker but you can put some Hi-Temp silicone then slip the tube over and clamp it. Any sort of slip-on will have some leak.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the suggestions guys..gonna go to a local motorcycle shop tomorrow and give vcyclenut's suggestion done..ill also look into what you said Delnari..thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts