Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I purchased one just to see what would change. It came stock with the Y400 cam and was underwhelmed with what it did to the power. I called them and asked to purchase the Y200 cam for it. After talking, we decided he would send the Y200 and Y300 cam to give him feedback.

Quick info on me. I have had many different motorcycles through the years. My '02 RC51 was the most abrupt throttle I had ever owned due to previous owner putting a 2-into-1 Jardine on it (he though himself Nicky Hayden I guess). I learned good control so I can live with the FZ-09 if I had to.

I still have to test the Y300 today but this is what I have come up with so far. This was the note to Gary @ G2:

Thanks for sending the cams man... it is much appreciated. I have only had the opportunity to test the Y200 and Y400 cams thus far. About 150 miles combined (90 on the Y200). Here is some quick notes for you:

*The G2 system*
1. Great quality and well machined.
2. Approximately 1.5mm shorter than stock (an observation... No impact to performance).
3. Knurled section increases overall grip diameter of the throttle grip to be .75mm larger. The grip does feel slightly firmer due to this (an observation... No impact to performance).
4. I checked for throttle cable play, but there was none between stock, Y200 or Y400. It was simply plug and play which was nice.

*Y200*
This cam I can only describe as "it takes the edge off". I saw no real noticeable difference in throttle on-off in "A" mode. In "STD" mode, the throttle was less abrupt. Not a dramatic change, but enough to smooth this effect out. "B" mode became slightly more subdued but only slightly. Commuting, Spirited riding or highway speeds just rolling along, I prefered "STD" mode with this one.

*Y400*
A huge improvement in on-off throttle with a side effect. With this one, "A" mode was my prefered drive mode. Abruptness was gone but it still had a sense of urgency to it. "STD" mode became subdued, however, I believe the map uses timing retardation in gears 1 and 2 which gave the bike a little more hesistation from 1-3k rpm @ constant throttle. If I turned the throttle more, it went away which I attribute to at the same set turn of my wrist, I now was in a zone that definitely has fuel metering issues (No fault of the Tamer). "B" mode is now ridiculously slow. I would rate the feel below that of my beloved SV650's I have owned. It felt almost like a 500cc motorcycle with a touch more torque. Commuting, Spirited riding or highway speeds just rolling along, I prefered "A" mode with this one.

Obviously I have to test it, but I am going to guess that the Y300 will be the way to go. I believe it will offer the best balance to give both "A" and "STD" their own unique personalities but also take the abruptness out of the thorttle for both. "B" will suffer though. I would then deem "B" mode less of a commuter mode as Yamaha calls it and be more of a wet weather mode.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've been using the Y400 for about 3 weeks now and I would have to agree with you for the most part. I still find it difficult to ride in "A" mode but it's less annoying with the G2 installed but I still don't touch that mode. I usually ride in "B" mode 95% of the time and the G2 makes throttle blipping a lot more forgiving. Without the G2, I would sometimes over blip and the bike would lunge forward after releasing the clutch. With the G2 installed, that pretty much as stopped completely while in "B" mode. "STD" mode is a lot easier to ride with after installing the G2 but the fueling problem is still noticeable with on/off throttle. If you're the type that mainly rides in "B" mode, I wouldn't recommend the G2 because it does take more throttle twist compared to stock and this can be very fatiguing on long rides/commutes. Overall the G2 acts more of a bandaid rather than a solution for "A" and "STD" mode.

For me, I don't think the G2 is cutting it and I do plan on removing it later this month and I will ride down to Flash Tune to get my ECU reflashed.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I ordered the G2 and requested the Y300 profile. I have a reflash and a Power Commander with Auto Tune currently. I leave my bike in A mode, so I am interested to find out if it further smooths my roll-on leaned over in the turns, and smooths my throttle feathering on wheelies (what can I say). It could neuter my bike since it is close to being smooth with my current mods, but it is still a tad herky jerky in certain instances. I have only used B mode in one severe rain storm, as in tornado weather with hail mixed in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts