Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally splurged on the Penske "double clicker." Like others, I can confirm that it really does transform the bike. I realize the comparison is rather awkward but I would say the effect of the Penske shock is about on par with effect of the ECU reflash. That is to say that both markedly improve the bike whether you are a commuter, like me, or a hooligan. The roads where I ride (Chapel Hill, NC) most resemble the lunar surface. I used to routinely find myself leaning over in a turn while the bike's rear was stuttering over rough pavement and my throttle hand was twitching on the throttle. When I rode over any serious surface defect or feature -- manhole cover, railroad tracks, hole in the pavement -- I had to compensate for the pogo effect in the rear suspension.

Now, even without fine tuning the rear suspension, I can confirm that the Penske "double clicker" shock completely eliminates the defects associated with the stock rear suspension. I feel much safer leaned over in curves now that the rear is settled and more predictable. Although I still try to avoid road surface hazards I don't worry about spinal injuries and/or bouncing off the seat when I fail to do so. So thanks again to Nick for working with Penske to develop this product. If the double clicker fits within your budget give it serious consideration. I think you will be pleased with the results. (Next up are the front forks and then I will have a bike that is much more capable than its pilot.)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm with you all the way the 9er is more planted and I feel in control mid and out of the corners... except the price was cost prohibitive for myself. On that note I got myself an custom 2010 ZX6rr rebuilt from Traxxion for only $380 bugs. And this is not a double but a triple clicker (still has fewer clicks under HS& LS compared to Penske).

For the forks I would go with the cartridges... I love my Stoltecs GP shim and spring set, but I'm missing the needed compression settings.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I too think the Penske is worth the price. But it took me a while to rationalize the price. Ouch. But the pain is gone now and I enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
In my case I couldn't believe just how tiny a bump in a turn could initiate a weave with the stock suspension. I remember riding a road with reflectors along the center dividing line and when I cut a left turn a little and caught one of them the bike went into a slight weave. I never actually tried to measure them, but I doubt they could be more than 1/2 inch (a nothing bump).

For me, the hassle of disassembling cartridge type forks was a bigger deal than the cost, so I went for the top tier, 25mm cartridges and a triple clicker. Now, nothing at reasonably sane street speeds upsets the bike. I still feel the bumps, but the bike never deviates from my intended line through the turn.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Congratulations! We all belong to the $8,000 bike with $2,000 worth of suspension upgrade club! But the result is a very nice bike wit a kick-ass engine and great handling. Once you get a decent seat, I don't think you can buy as nice of a bike off the showroom floor. Street triple included...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just went with the e8900 base penske. But I've got traxxion dynamic fork cartridges out front. Now I go out of my way to hit every pothole in the road.

I may upgrade the rear to a double or triple clicker. I feel since I went for the AK-20 kit out front that I skimped on the back. But I'm not looking forward to changing that shock out again so maybe not.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's all about getting what works for you. I try not to get caught up in the 'best of everything' mentality. Get only enough to make you happy. That should be the goal. I worry about the consumerism that pervades these forums sometimes. This is supposed to be fun, not just expensive.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's all about getting what works for you. I try not to get caught up in the 'best of everything' mentality. Get only enough to make you happy. That should be the goal. I worry about the consumerism that pervades these forums sometimes. This is supposed to be fun, not just expensive.

+dozens.

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
Amen! Different strokes for different folks....lid for every pot...etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts