Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate to start yet another bar thread, but there isn't a comprehensive one.

So, here's some pics of my LSL Fat Bar Drag Bar XD2 - Spiegler Performance Parts - Fat-Bar Handlebar, Drag Bar

Like others, I wanted something lower and more forward, but didn't want to go to the extreme of the clubmans - both for position and, frankly, I don't care for the looks. I also wanted something narrower, so was looking for a bar that looked to have good 'trimmability'. After looking at all the options folks have tried (search for these - they have all be tried/used by someone on this forum: Pro Taper EVO Carmichael, Pro Taper EVO Pastrana, Pro Taper Contour 'Universal Low', Renthal 'Street Low', Renthal 'Street Fighter', Rizoma MA008, Rizoma MA010, Metal Mulisha Deegan SX) plus specs on more (Marshall, Fly Racing, GSG Fat Bars, Hagen Fat Bars, Zeta), I went with the LSL for the zero rise and nice straight control section that looked easily trimmed.

On install, I was able to trim ~2.5" off each end to make the overall width ~1.5" narrower than stock. Unfortunately, I did have to rotate the bars 'up' a bit so the controls would clear the tank (barely). So I do, in effect, have some rise to the bar. Not a ton of miles on them yet, but overall, I'm quite happy with it - gives just a bit of forward lean without too much weight on the hands. The angle of the grips is still comfortable. And I like the looks.

As an aside, the bar ends / mirrors are eB cheapies: Black Motorcycle Bike Rear View Safety Universal Side Mirrors Fit 7 8'' Bar End | eBay
Pretty marginal quality overall, but functional.

Pics:

Similar view of stock bars:

·
Registered
30 Posts
i tried to get these bars, but they sent me the wrong ones 3 times.... ended up going with a low bend renthal and was happy. Still considering these though

·
Registered
154 Posts
Good write up, I look forward to an update once you have some miles on them. I like the look but it seems the minimal or non existent sweep of the bars would put your wrists in a awkward position for long rides but I will wait to hear back from you on the comfort level.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I thought you had Oberon Bar end mirrors until i saw they were the cheapies. Nice looking copies! The bar looks great. Reminds me of my Hagen 7 bar (different bike).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i tried to get these bars, but they sent me the wrong ones 3 times.... ended up going with a low bend renthal and was happy. Still considering these though
Yeah, Spiegler drop shipped me the wrong (non-tapered) bar once also. Once I pointed it out to my vendor (Wicked Racing - local-ish to me, but no real affiliation) and I provided the part # shipped vs the part # ordered, they got it right the 2nd try. Shipped the replacement before I sent the return and included return postage for the wrong bar in the package with the correct bar, so I can't really complain too much.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was torn between the Pro Taper Carmichael and the universal low, but now I have yet another option. Looks like this bar would get me leaned farther forward than either of those two, which would help a great deal with wind and general comfort considering my height.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would like these alot cut down... Maybe so all controls just barely fit... Narrow straight bars would be awesome.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just ordered some of these for my Tiger 1050 but I'll be using with ROX anti-vibe risers (2") so height will be pretty much stock. Without risers I think you'd either need to have pretty long arms or else really want to be right on top of forks.

jdrbx9 -- Are you really long-armed? How are these bars working out for you?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Thread revived from the dead...and moved to the proper section.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have Risoma Spy-R bar end mirrors that require a threaded bar to bolt into, do those bars have threaded ends?

·
Registered
612 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just ordered some of these for my Tiger 1050 but I'll be using with ROX anti-vibe risers (2") so height will be pretty much stock. Without risers I think you'd either need to have pretty long arms or else really want to be right on top of forks.

jdrbx9 -- Are you really long-armed? How are these bars working out for you?
sorry for the delay - just noticed the post

I would not say I'm super long-armed. I am ~6'0" overall height and wear a 34" sleeve dress shirt. The revised position puts me in a slight forward lean similar to my previous Buell XB. Overall, I like the position but wouldn't mind a bit more rearward sweep.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Guys,

I was thinking about your dellimna of putting flat bar on the FZ and having the controls hit the tank. I like the idea of a low bar as well and I would hate to have to put on a stem riser or clamp spacer or something to overcome the bar/tank issue. One solution is to minimize the lock to lock. Most of the factory race bikes on the track have this done to minimize how much the bars can turn. They put a bolt with a lock nut where the bottom stop on the triple clamp would hit the frame stop to adjust the amount of turn they desired. Keep in mind, you don't really turn the bars much on the track. On the street you would just have to lean more during a u-turn or at slow speed. If you look at the FZ frame where the tabs hit, with some confidence, there is a way to make an adjustable steering stop.

-Shannon

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
maryleejayne, can you tell me, with your carbon fibre instrument cover, does it have a clear section for the readout area to help protect the plastic face? or is it just a frame?

I ask because I know these gauge clusters can be easily scratched just with wiping off any dust. I have been thinking of finding something to help protect it. Like a Zagg Invisible Shield, or similar peal and stick touch screen product.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts