Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I rode almost 500 miles on our glorious Texas Roads today. I did TX Hwy 16 between Llano & Bandera. There is very little traffic on this 100 mile slice of asphalt Heaven, adding to the already pleasant terrain; scenic, elevation changes, sweepers, tight & kinky switchbacks, beautiful vistas, wonderful tree covered tunnels and gorgeous, clear rivers that invite the occasional wading party. The trip required a stop in Fredericksburg, settled in 1846 by German immigrants. The birthplace of Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, there are museums and quaint shops up and down main street. A quick trip on TX 965 to Enchanted Rock for some real thrills on nearby roads.

Zip down to TX FM 337 From Medina to Camp Wood, then TX Hwy 55 north to Rocksprings. You really can not go wrong picking any of the FM (farm to market) roads in this area. FM 337 is unquestionably among the most spectacular roads in the area. Massive wooded steeps enfolding tiny, secluded valleys. Elevations range from 1,500 to 2,400 feet with deep dramatic canyons cut by Frio and Nueces Rivers. A roller coaster ride with rips up and over huge limestone karsts with numerous places to pull off, and enjoy the spectacular scenery. If you ride this route, take your camera! At the time of first Spanish explorers, the area was inhabited by Comanche, Apache and Lipan-Apache Indians. Constantly bringing to mind John Wayne movies, the area is truly desolate, no signs of civilization for miles. You will want to visit Lost Maples State Natural Area in Vanderpool. I enjoyed hiking there last month. But especially in November when foliage is in full color. The bigtooth maples thrive only in small, protected pockets in mountainous regions.

The FZ continues to impress with the comfort of a Burgman 650 and the performance on a naked R1.

:cool:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sounds like a cool ride. So where are the pictures? If you didn't get any, I understand. Riding 500 miles is a large enough task without taking too many photo breaks.

Yamaha-FZ-09-stoppie.jpg

·
Registered
276 Posts
That is a good ride. I lived in Tyler for a spell and rode a gpz750 back then. Fun roads and great scenery out there.
How did you like the seat doing that many miles in a day?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have been down those routes before and took plenty of pictures with other groups. I did take an image of the Fazer at a water crossing though. I had to contend for a while with large throngs of Harley rider attending a bike rally in Bandera called Thunder in the Hill Country. The sound of those straight pipes make my ears ache.

fz9-on-ride-day.jpg

Some other resources:

Twisted Sisters: The Texas Hill Country’s Most Famous Trio

The aftermarket seat makes 500 mile days a breeze. On the OEM foam, definitely not!

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
That sounds like an amazing ride! That part of Texas is beautiful. Its funny that you mention John Wayne because his movie, The Alamo, was filmed in that area just North of Bracketville; along with Lonesome Dove and many other westerns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts