Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I'd like to hear some reviews about helmets. I need to get a new one but I"m concerned about some of the manufacturers out there. There are a few I've seen from Scorpion that I really liked the looks of and this new company, well new to me Speed and Strength. What I'm looking for is something around $300 or less that is really quiet and has internal sun shield. Obviously I want it to fit nice and comfy as well, that's where it gets more complicated where everyone's preference is going to be diff.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It doesn't have in internal sun shield, but the Bell RS-1 is great. It's quiet, fits my head great, comfortable, and can be had for cheap from places like sportbiketrackgear or revzilla on closeout. To fix the sun shield problem, buy the transitions shield and you're set.

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have the lazer monaco carbon if your looking for a feature rich helmet at $300 i think its worth looking into, pure carbon fiber so it's light, modular and comes with pinlock and transition lense included, only downside is there's only 1 shell size so it will look a lil big. There's also a fair amount of wind noise but i can't tell if it's the helmets fault since i took a 4 year sabbatical from riding and had sold my old helmet 4 years ago so i have nothing to compare to .

·
Registered
392 Posts
It doesn't have in internal sun shield, but the Bell RS-1 is great. It's quiet, fits my head great, comfortable, and can be had for cheap from places like sportbiketrackgear or revzilla on closeout. To fix the sun shield problem, buy the transitions shield and you're set.
I got an RS-1 with that visor, love it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought a HJC IS-17 Intake Helmet in Red to match my Rapid Red FZ. I have been using HJC helmets for 14 years. I love the internal shield however I did buy a darker tinted one. HJC helmets fit me quite well and I think the quality and price point are there. I have had no luck with fitment on Shoei or Arai helemts. Reasonable price at $179.99 at Revzilla.

Reactions: sconnie

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I just had the HJC IS17 and thought the wind noise was terrible..

Just watched some very detailed review/over view of the Bell RS-1 and they nailed it, getting the transition lens as well!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have the speed and strength rage with the machine helmet with a dark tinted visor. I like the helmet a lot and have no complaints with it, hadit for the full season last year so this will be my second season with it, the visor is dark when view from the outside in so its hard to see your face but view from inside the helmet is still good like wearing sunglasses, I just ordered an afx fx-39 because I wanted a dual sport helmet for looks but I'm still keeping the speed and strength. The only problem I've noticed with it even though it's not really a problem is going highway speed if your head is tilted a certain way like down to the left the visor starts to whistle but my head is only in the position of I'm looking at something. Also I love the quick release strap, best thing since sliced bread in my opinion, obviously there comes an issue with a helmet lock but since our bike don't have them it doesn't matter, on my old bike I stillnised the helmet lock with it anyway I just put the hook through the strap loop

·
Registered
806 Posts
I just got a scorpion exo r-410 from the stealership for a $100. I went to try on the R-710 cause I was gonna get it at revzilla. There both Snell rated helmets and they fit the same so why not save $120 bucks. I have a hjc mod. Helmet with the flip down shield I don't like the sheild that much. It's not dark enough and I still get dirt & bugs in my eyes so I just wear cycle sun glasses instead. Most helmets don't have a Snell rating with sun sheilds.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
300 bucks go with the rs-1. Nothing can touch the quality for the money. If I had to pick a second for 300 it would be an icon airmada.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You should check out the Shark Speed R helmets and the one I just got is an HJC RPHA-10 helmet which is pretty damn nice for around $300!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Shark Speed R.
It's so good I bought another one after the first one broke in my crash. I hit the back of a 4WD at about 40-50KPH, and headbutted it. I was unconscious for a bit, but apart from feeling a bit fuzzy, my head came out fairly well.

My arm, however..

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Every helmet manufacturer has a different fit, I'd suggest hitting a few local shops and find out which one fits best. A bad fitting helmet can ruin any good ride, and make for a miserable day. It is worth taking the time to find one that fits well and is comfortable.

If you want a well rated helmet, ie. Snell and DOT approved, there isn't much of a selection when it comes to internal sun shades. I think I have only seen DOT approved helmets with internal shades and none that are Snell approved. You can easily take care of shades with a good set of sun glasses or a transition shield. The quiet part can be taken care of with ear plugs, which I'd suggest no matter what helmet you get. Even if a helmet seems quiet, that constant wind noise can cause hearing damage.

So the number one priority is to make sure it fits right and is comfortable. Once you find one that fits good, then you can see if it sells for a better price online.

Personally I have always for HJC helmets fit my head the best and currently have a HJC CL-7 for the street and a Fly Trekker for the dual sport. Both fit well and have good ventilation for those hot days.

Another good point about HJC helmets is that they sell replacement liners and cheek pads. If you find the helmet loosens up over time, it is cheap to buy new or thicker replacement cheek pads. They also see accessories like chin curtains and breath deflectors to customize your helmets. Also a good selection of different shields.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just get a shoei gt-air... you will end up in one eventually. Save yourself the expensive journey of buying a cheaper helmet for a year, then trying a different one the next and just get the shoei gt-air now, itll last you 5 years or first crash impact. Whichever comes first.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Everyone is going to have their own criteria for what they deem critically important in a helmet selection. Clearly safety is paramount, and then fit and comfort I would assume are a close second. My personal peeve is when the helmet only has one or two shell sizes for entire span of actual sizes. For example, the guy wearing an XL has the same outer dimensions as the guy wearing the XS. If a manufacturer cares so little about the fit of a helmet, I can't put my faith in their passion for the other things, so I look elsewhere. Hit up Revzilla and watch the video's of one you like, and read the reviews. Good luck!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have the HJC CL-17 matte black with red and with the gold mirror shield. It is my first known brand helmet and I like it. I do wish it is much quieter though but it isn't that bad. I do really like the have the Icon Variant.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Whatever helmet you choose has to fit properly, or you are not going to enjoy wearing it. Unfortunately not every helmet with fit every head like Fairbanksdmt mentioned. Not every one has different shell sizes for different head sizes and shapes. Some people find that only a specific manufacturer's helmet fits their head best, so they are stuck with a certain MFR. Some people like a certain MFR for the bling factor, which is an each-to-their-own kind of choice.

As for safety, my personal preference is to go with a minimum dual certified helmet. Like a DOT & Snell approved, or a DOT & CE approved. I prefer a Snell approved helmet since they are an independent non-profit organization, not run by a bunch of government officials.

Snell Foundation - home - The Snell Memorial Foundation, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to research, education, testing and development of helmet safety standards.

They even list all the helmets that are Snell approved, so you can make sure a helmet is truly Snell approved and doesn't have a bogus approval sticker.

Snell Foundation - M2015 certified helmets

Another good thing to check is to see how much it is going to cost you for replacement shields and other parts. Some of the manufacturer's charge double the price for their shields, with no real added benefit. Kind of like buying anything Apple or Nike, you just pay extra for the name brand. When you check the shield pricing, also make sure their shields have UV Protection. I have noticed that not all the website like Revzilla, note this information, and you might have to check the manufacturer's web site for shield UV ratings.

And yes I know, these are all my personal preferences, but just keep in mind that price alone does not dictate a better helmet. It can be a $1000 helmet with all the bells and whistles, but if it fits like crap, you are not doing to enjoy it.

And when you try on a helmet, wear it for a little while to make sure it fits ok. I have seen people quickly fit on a helmet, think it is ok, then find out the thing kills their head after wearing it for only fifteen minutes.

So good luck and happy hunting.

p.s. - my brother finds that Shoei helmets fit his noodle better, and I find HJC is a better fit for me.

Reactions: Lee Drew
1 - 20 of 29 Posts