Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings and thank you for letting me join this forum.
I have been riding for little over a year, I started on a 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620D.
I recently traded it in for a Pumpkin FZ09.
I just wanted to add my impressions on the bike. I think my point of view and perspective on this could be entertaining to some.
Let me begin with a short review of my background.
I took the safety class just as a curiosity and not really trying to get into motorcycles.
After the class I was left wanting more and started looking for a motorcycle. I knew I wanted a sit up bike because I'm tall. The FZ09 came out the very same month I was looking for bikes and was about to buy one when someone told me the bike is not a good idea for a first time rider.
I then began looking for used bikes and stumbled upon said Ducati with only 5700 miles...
The Multistrada had about 63hp and quite a bit of torque. Learning to use the throttle paired with a very twitchy clutch was really difficult for someone starting up, but by the time I traded the bike to the FZ09, I had the Multistrada mastered. The power was always sufficient for riding, even aggressively, mind you it was not what people would call monstrously fast, it kept me entertained.
After a year of riding I decided it was time to reward myself with the FZ09. :)
The first thing I noticed was how much smoother the engine runs than the Multistrada. While the multistrada felt like a tractor, the 9 is buttery smooth.
The other thing I noticed is that the 9's riding position is much more up right. The Multi's handlebars are a bit more forward, also my legs are more bent on the 9 which I don't mind. I also appreciate the ergonomics of the 9 much better than the multi. Come to think of it, I never liked ducati's ergos, I never seem to fit quite right. On the nine, my entire inner thigh has contact with the tank and makes me feel secure.
The seat, however, is much harder on the 9 making my butt sore quite fast.
I'm still in the break in period so I have only ridden the bike in B and STD mode. (doing the gentle break in) but I can already feel this bike has magnitudes more power than the multi.
The suspension was also quite an obvious one, I bought this bike knowing the suspension is the Achilles heel of this bike, and will soon enough buy the soltec suspension upgrades, but being a beginner rider I thought I wouldn't be able to notice too much. Specially after coming from a cheap Ducati with a not so great suspension as well.
The fact is, the multi never got upset, even after running over debris on the road while leaning quite a bit.
The multi also, almost never tracked on grooves on the road.
The 9 likes to track a little, and bounce a bit too much.
The 9 does lean much quicker than the multi and feels more stable while leaning than the Multi. The Multi always felt wobbly while leaning.
All said and done, I'm quite excited to have bought this bike and can't wait to start upgrading it! :D

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Nice write up.

Just an fyi. You can no longer get the Penske shocks though stoltec but you can buy through other channels.

There are a handful of other brands that are making shocks for this bike now. This forum is great for covering them all.

Welcome and ride safe!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great write up a nice perspective I've been on the nine for about two weeks come from a motocross racing background and I feel like it's a dirt bike on the street and I freaking love it

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your post. If you were to do this again would you have purchased the Ducati before the FZ?
If I would've known better, I would've gotten something like a 300... maybe a ninja 650 or fz6r...
The Duc was too tall, and too torquey for someone just learning.
But between the Duc and the 09, the Duc was a better choice.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice write up.

Just an fyi. You can no longer get the Penske shocks though stoltec but you can buy through other channels.

There are a handful of other brands that are making shocks for this bike now. This forum is great for covering them all.

Welcome and ride safe!
I saw that ohlins has a rear shock for the same price as the penske and are developing a kit for the front as well. (I read that here) :D
I might just do that. :p

·
Registered
343 Posts
Welcomes to you JV. Would you ride it up a straight up looking cliff? I look forward to hearing some of your comments around here.
I used to have lots of fun in mud pits , if I got stuck like boot suction type stuck other riders would throw massive rooster tails of mud over me.
Clean up took forever. It wasn't competitive , well , in a race environment , it was back country fun on dirt.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I'm just impressed that a one year old can ride a motorcycle... most are still struggling to walk! :D
That's what I was thinking...........OP, you might want to change the wording in the title of your post! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
That's what I was thinking...........OP, you might want to change the wording in the title of your post! :cool:
And how does one edit/change the title of a thread? I want to change the title of my thread for the Southeastern FZ Spring Rally to East Coast FZ Spring Rally.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, it only took you one year to upgrade.

I finally upgraded from my 2006 SV650 that I got...well in 2006. 8 years is a long time.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
And how does one edit/change the title of a thread? I want to change the title of my thread for the Southeastern FZ Spring Rally to East Coast FZ Spring Rally.
Click on the "edit" function for your post. Once that comes up, click on the "Advanced Edit" and make your changes. If that doesn't work for you, send me a PM with the link for the thread and what exactly you want to change it to and I'd be happy to change it for you..

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Why? I AM one year old... Still not potty trained... :D
You are far more advanced at that ripe young age than I was..........congrats young man! :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just signed up but I'm somewhat in the same boat but with only a few months of experience riding a cruiser ... need something more nimble and fun and this is #1 on the list come spring for me.

I'll have to respect the bike for sure coming off a 50hp 600lb bike that hates to rev and gets all buzzy doing it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts