Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been researching suspension options and came across an add for Andreani fork cartridges. Searching I found an Ebay add for these same cartridges, complete with springs, coupled with an Ohlins 46DR shock with spring all for $990. Seems awfully cheap and makes me suspicious. Any input on them?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Andreani cartridges are a decent product.......not top of the line and not the worst brand you could buy....pretty much average to better than average. The Ohlins 46DR is a base level shock that does not have adjustable compression damping....just rebound and preload. Personally, it's not what I would buy, but everyone's taste and budget are different and if you don't think you need a fully adjustable setup, then this might be an option for you. I've given Stoltec Moto my business when it comes to suspension products as he is the guy that not only did a lot of testing and tweaking to find what really works well for the FZ09, but also, he owns an FZ09 and knows what and how to set one up based on the riders preference/needs.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andreani cartridges are a decent product.......not top of the line and not the worst brand you could buy....pretty much average to better than average. The Ohlins 46DR is a base level shock that does not have adjustable compression damping....just rebound and preload. Personally, it's not what I would buy, but everyone's taste and budget are different and if you don't think you need a fully adjustable setup, then this might be an option for you. I've given Stoltec Moto my business when it comes to suspension products as he is the guy that not only did a lot of testing and tweaking to find what really works well for the FZ09, but also, he owns an FZ09 and knows what and how to set one up based on the riders preference/needs.
Thanks. I researched the shock some and it would be an upgrade but you're right I might be better off spending more. I definitely have leaned towards GP because of Stoltec Moto's passion for the FZ. Decisions, decisions lol.

Fizzypilot, it IS interesting and pretty hard to pass on :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just took a look on the Öhlins website at the available shock options for the FZ/MT 09 and they only list the S46DR1 which from what I gather is AKA the YA335. I've seen images before of MT-09 builds with Öhlins shocks sporting an external reservoir, yet they don't mention it on their website at all.

Does anyone know what the next level option would be after the S46DR1 in the Öhlins range?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just took a look on the Öhlins website at the available shock options for the FZ/MT 09 and they only list the S46DR1 which from what I gather is AKA the YA335. I've seen images before of MT-09 builds with Öhlins shocks sporting an external reservoir, yet they don't mention it on their website at all.

Does anyone know what the next level option would be after the S46DR1 in the Öhlins range?
I've researched it some and still don't know much but I think the TTX RT is the next step up. It's in the "hypersport" section.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've researched it some and still don't know much but I think the TTX RT is the next step up. It's in the "hypersport" section.
Nice looking unit but it looks like it's about twice the price of the S46DR1 but I'm sure it's a much better shock.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Penske has the shock and fork kit on their site, AND they credit Stoltec for development!

Penske Shocks / Motorcycle / 8900 SERIES FZ09
That's awesome they gave Stoltec credit. Given the price of this bike and what you have with a front and rear suspension upgrade, the $2000 (that's having them build the forks) is well worth it. I compare $10,150 with the Speed Triple and a Tuono and it's a no brainer. This engine is the "decider".

Reactions: Jojo

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just need the forks.
I've got a "used" GSXR shock with the 3 way adjustment that will work just fine in the back. (And yes, I'm cheap, so if Nick at Stoltec was still doing his 250.00 valve upgrade, I'd most likely go that route.)

The drop in setup appears to be the way to go, and if the price is down around 500.00, that would be even better.
I don't ever plan on riding this bike to track style limits. But a good handling bike is much more fun than this stock setup is proving to be. (Heck, I'd take some similar sized forks from another Yamaha, or other bike, that fits, and do that "Upgrade" if an when it's determined what will work.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I installed the Andreani cartridges with springs a couple months ago and the price was closer to 900 than 500.They are a pain to get adjusted as you go an 8th turn at a time on whichever section you are trying to adjust-comp or rebound.When I was researching them it seemed many people in Ducati and Aprilia forums rated them better than any other aftermarket cartridge systems.I am quite happy with thier performance on my 09. Jeff

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the review Jeff. That remains a pretty good option then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts