Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello FZ09 forum members,

I understand that this topic has been covered many times in the past but I keep on reading mixed reviews regarding my question.

Q1. I currently weigh 230-240 with gear. What spring rate would someone recommend with the FZ09 Andreani front fork kit for aggressive street riding? Or am I just just better off going with their front Ohlins springs and rear Ohlins shock kit from www.omniaracing.com since I only once in a while ride twisties and never do track.

(Andreani has advised me that 9.3kg/mm is a hard spring for FZ09 for rider over 130kg. However according to SonicSprings.com: "For Rider Weight = 230 lbs. Bike Weight = 420 lbs. Bike Type = Sport Bike Riding Style = Aggressive Street Tank Bag = No")

Q2. For the rear Ohlins shock absorber what spring rate should I request?

Q3. Also has anyone experienced any valving issues, defects or bad performance with the Andreani kit? Thank you

-Thanks in advance to you all

·
Registered
657 Posts
hey - I recently had these cartridges installed in my forks, I am around 210 with gear depending on the day - I had the 9.3N/mm springs installed with Ohlins oil, and the bike performs very well for me ... I am glad I didn't go with a softer spring, I believe it puts the bike closer to where it should be. For the Ohlins rear shock, I had them place a 100N/mm spring, and this also seems to be nearly perfect ... with the combo, the real-time feedback on the road is night/day difference from stock - money well spent. I have not had any valving issues thus far, but have not put more than a couple thousand miles on the bike since they were installed ... but I don't foresee any issues in the future, and have not seen anyone complaining about valving with this fork option ..

cheers -

·
Vendor
870 Posts
The Andreani fork config has issues especially in the Comp leg. I have the latest kit on my bench.

fj-09.org/post/27672/thread
fz07.org/thread/2415/andreani-advanced-cartridge-kit?page=5 and keep reading

9.3N/mm == 0.95kg/mm and is fine for 230+ pounds. You can go as low as 0.9 but I would recommend staying above 0.925

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
The Andreanis are good value for money. There is a minor issue with high speed comp damping, but if you ride on smooth roads you may never notice it. I've reduced the problem to just a minor annoyance and our roads are really rough.

·
Registered
657 Posts
LouG - what did you have to do to correct the problem? And what exactly is the flaw in the fork that causes the issue with hs damping ...

thanks -

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Fitted a Mich PR4 tyre.
One theory is that the comp valve passages don't flow enough and the fork stroke stiffens on big hits. I'm going to try cheaper fixes first, 12 cst oil in that fork, if that doesn't improve it a little I'll try a different shim stack as the supplier advised.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts