Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

I had my Andreani cartridges installed yesterday and it appears I am unable to adjust the preload. From the installer there are two lines are visable, I can turn the prejoad adjuster in both directions to lock out however, the stack does not move. Also measuring my preload it doesn't appear I can change the preload at all. I had the Andreani.78 springs swapped out for .85 Penske springs. The Penske springs are a few mm taller than the Andreanis and I recall the installer telling me he used the Andreani spacers. Would using a taller spacers cause this issue or what could be the cause?

I'm calling the shop as soon as they open today.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I can check mine tonight, I left the preload at max out and didn't adjust them. Assumed that they work function like the stock forks where as you added pre-load they would move in deeper.

How many mm taller are your Penske springs over the Andreani ones? Are the Penske springs the same as stock which is 30 mm longer ?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recall Penske tell me their springs are the same length as the OEM FZ09 springs.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Take it back to the shop that installed them and have them show you how to adjust things.

It is possible they messed something up or you are not adjusting things correctly. Hard to tell through the interwebs...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Good Morning,

I had my Andreani cartridges installed yesterday and it appears I am unable to adjust the preload. From the installer there are two lines are visable, I can turn the prejoad adjuster in both directions to lock out however, the stack does not move. Also measuring my preload it doesn't appear I can change the preload at all. I had the Andreani.78 springs swapped out for .85 Penske springs. The Penske springs are a few mm taller than the Andreanis and I recall the installer telling me he used the Andreani spacers. Would using a taller spacers cause this issue or what could be the cause?

I'm calling the shop as soon as they open today.
This is normal for these cartridges.The rings are purely cosmetic.
When the adjuster is turned an internal spring pedestal is moved down an internal thread to preload the spring.
You have to back the adjuster off anticlockwise till it stops and count turns from there.The adjustment is about 1 mm per turn and there is 10 mm of adjustment available.
Tip: Make a note of your final setting so you can know where it is if you have to add or subtract preload.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that's good to know, thanks!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Glad I found this thread ... was sitting there scratching my head - turning the gold screw on top of the fork the other night, and it wasn't moving up or down ... I'm like whaaaa? Now i understand the adjustment takes place inside the fork, so it won't actually move up or down where I can see it ... thanks Paul G.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is normal for these cartridges.The rings are purely cosmetic.
When the adjuster is turned an internal spring pedestal is moved down an internal thread to preload the spring.
You have to back the adjuster off anticlockwise till it stops and count turns from there.The adjustment is about 1 mm per turn and there is 10 mm of adjustment available.
Tip: Make a note of your final setting so you can know where it is if you have to add or subtract preload.
So, let's say im on the riding position and i wan't to go with no preload at all.
I have to trun both adjusters full clockwise till they stop?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts