Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having issues with my hips and the Seat Concepts did nothing for me.
I decided I needed more height to increase seat to peg distance and took my
seat over to a local shop along with a few snaps of the Street Rally seat and
asked for something approximating that look. And this is what I got back.
It for sure is more comfortable with a softer foam. But I don't think the new
configuration is going to give me the relief I need. Perhaps my problem is
hip joint angle, so I may have to adjust peg position more forward.

Joint surgery is just not an option for me as I am on a short clock and I don't want
to lose months to recovery time. If I can't sort this out, the FZ will have to go. :-(((

One thing I do need help with....
Stupidly, I did not measure the seat height of the SC seat before having it recovered.
Would someone here please measure your stock seat or SC seat from the bottom
subframe bolt/attachment point at the frame straight up/vertical to the top edge of the
seating surface for me and forward that figure? New Seat Side View.jpg

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sorry about your issues ridetofish.

I have the Seat Concepts, and it is satisfactory for me - but if you are having hip joint issues I would really recommend checking out the Seth Lamm seat. I rode on HawkerJet's FZ with a Lamm seat and it was totally different. It sort of rolled the hips back and the thing form fitted to your backside holding you in a nice cradle type feeling. This made the leg position feel totally different.

·
Super Moderator
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Kirk. Trying to get comfortable on the FZ is getting tiresome,
but I'll keep working it.

The FZ is just too good to give up on and I have it kitted with the
Stoltec front GP Suspension revalve, Penske shock, ECU flash and PR4 tires.
So I've got a lot invested to this point.

And I'm still looking for someone to measure their stock/seat concepts saddle
height for me.

~fish

·
Registered
520 Posts
image.jpg

Not sure if this is distance you wanted... But it's 2-5/8"

Those are x2 straight edges i have next to seat incase you arent sure what you're looking at

·
Super Moderator
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for that jk,
What I was looking for is the height of the seat top within about six inches from the tank, which is about where my "junk" is planted. I used the bottom bolt location of the connecting point where the subframe (tail section) bolts to the main frame as a fixed point to measure from. On my new setup that measurement is approx 12.5 inches without me sitting on it. Obviously when compressed I probably lose about 1 inch. I hate spending another $170 on some Wild Hair peg re-locators to get 50mm offset forward of where the stock pegs are now, but that is my last option.
It's strange that I put the first 600 miles, or so on the bike with a spirited run up to Spruce Pine, NC without complaint and then my next jaunt of about 450 miles in Arkansas had my hips and left leg screaming in pain. I gave myself a week to recover and then laid on a mere 15 miles around the 'hood which was again painful. I haven't ridden the FZ in 9 weeks. That is a mortal sin in anybody's book.

I'm just not in a good place for ortho surgery to correct whatever is the underlying pathology. Breaks my heart. There's always the old DR650 which still works for me. But I miss the other 70 hp and 30 lbs of torque. :-(

It's a cruel world when your body lets you down.

Thanks for your trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts