Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at a bike breakfast. We were there with a group of people. We got there at around 9:30, it started at 7:30, and the place was packed. It gets like 1200 people on a given Sunday. There were people directing us where to park. The guy was signaling that we should park on the wet grass. I have never parked on grass before and I saw the bikes kind of bobbing up and down as they were going since there was mud and what looked like the equivalent of pot holes. There was no way I was doing that. So, my group goes on the grass and I parked at the end of a row next to a scooter. The guy working there was like, "you are not staying there." I was thinking "f&ck! what do I do?!?!?" Finally, the guy said I could park in this one open spot that was a few feet away. I was on a hill, and where he wanted me to go required a tight left between two rows of bikes and then a tight right to park the bike. I weighed the options, (a) grass with mud or (b) starting from a hill, turning the wheel almost as far as it would go, and hope for the best. I chose option two and I knew as soon as I started to give it a little gas that this was not going to happen. I'm 5'5'', 120 lbs, I work out, but I'm not strong enough to save a 400+ lb bike. Both feet touch the ground. Anyway, the bike fell down. Ugh. I wasn't necessarily embarrassed, just pissed that my absolutely mint bike without a scratch was now no longer perfect.

The damage:
Apparently, the same damage that happens to all of these bikes that drop to the left.
(1) the engine cover got scratched. I got a can of flat black high temp paint, cut a hole in card board, and sprayed it. That was pretty decent. Not perfect, but really not too bad.
(2) The end of the handle bars (bar end, I don't know what it's called), that got a little scratched. I didn't want to use paint on that since I thought it would be noticeable, so I used a black permanent marker. Not bad.
(3) The clutch lever bent. I got one from Yamaha and replaced that. Thirty dollars later, not terrible either.

I ended up with a large bruise on my right inner calf. I have no idea how that happened since the bike dropped left. This was a week ago and it's still pretty gross. I finally had the nerve to post this here. Not complaining, I am wondering how it got there! Hah.

I'm also wondering if wearing race boots had anything to do with this. I normally wear my Harley boots. These race boots seemed like they had no traction. Now, I'm not blaming my boots, I take blame for this. I am wondering if you guys have experienced any issues with the boots and traction. I definitely don't feel the same security with the race boots as I do with the Harley boots. Safety, sure- they are much better. Traction, not so much (TCX RS-2 boots).

Here's where I hope I don't have an issue. When I got back to the bike, I noticed that it had leaked oil on the ground. I parked it in the garage and didn't notice a leak. I hope I didn't puncture something. Anyone know what could have happened here?

How would you have handled this situation? Have you guys parked on grass before? Any advice on making sharp slow left turns with this bike, with an incline, or even just on flat ground?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bummer about the drop. Don't beat yourself up, sounds like no big deal. Watch the oil but it probably just leaked from being on its side.

Riding boots vary in how good the slip and they typically are not built for traction on dirt. I chose boots that are comfortable to walk in and those are usually better.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Here's where I hope I don't have an issue. When I got back to the bike, I noticed that it had leaked oil on the ground. I parked it in the garage and didn't notice a leak. I hope I didn't puncture something. Anyone know what could have happened here?

How would you have handled this situation? Have you guys parked on grass before? Any advice on making sharp slow left turns with this bike, with an incline, or even just on flat ground?
That sucks Jen. I have found the best traction with my Sidi riding boots, thats one of the reason I like wearing them, for grip on the pegs and ground. The other reason is they seem to absorb some of the vibrations off the pegs.

I wouldn't ride the bike unless I could deterring where the oil is coming from, under pressure you don't want it pissing all over your rear tire and making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Lastly, I would have handled this differently in this regard. Once I was unsure how to get where I needed to go I would have stopped and reassessed the situation. It sounds like you were a little flustered and went ahead in that frame of mind. I think I understand the layout from your description, but riding the clutch and using body weight on the right side of the bike to negotiate the left turn would have given a fighting chance. But it's hard to tell without seeing it. Also, at 5'5" you can get both feet on the ground? I have a 32" inseam and I'm just about flat foot. Maybe some more figure 8's in a clear parking lot would be a good exercise.

Steve

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
(5'5" and 32" inseam, both feet are flat, no issue, the reason I got the FZ instead of the Street Triple R was that I couldn't put my feet down flat with the Triumph. The FZ is awesome though, no regrets)

Do you guys mean hanging off the bike with your body weight to the right?!?

As far as parking on the grass, I have one of those plastic things for the kick stand, but I really didn't want to ride on the grass. It wasn't the thought of the bike sinking into the ground, it was the thought of riding on the wet, muddy, uneven, grass.

·
Registered
885 Posts
It wasn't the thought of the bike sinking into the ground, it was the thought of riding on the wet, muddy, uneven, grass.
Dropped a bike in wet grass a few years ago. Embarrassing but no damage to me or the bike. Since then, I avoid situations involving street tires and wet grass. On one occasion, I turned around and departed rather than make an attempt.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This was my first biker event. I'm supposed to go to a different one this Sunday. I'm going to scope out the parking before I go. If it's anything like the last one, my husband can ride and I'll take the car (he just started riding, so I'm not going on the back, and he wants to ride there)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I had a similar situation at an event a few weeks ago. I saw one bike go down on its own riding in and after assessing the area where we were supposed to park, I drove the bike out of the event and across the street and parked it in a dunkin donuts parking lot. Funny thing was there was a bunch of guys already there for the same reason.

Nothing is worth compromising your safety or your bike. If you're uncomfortable for any reason next time - just leave and find a spot to park close to the event or call it a wash. Either way you got to ride somewhere and that's the best part.

Sent from my hot secretary, dictated but not read

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There was no other parking at this place. There was the parking lot and then we were just surrounded by fields. For this Sunday, if there are not alternative parking arrangements, I'm taking the Camaro. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts