Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On paper and early tests the BMW S1000R looks like one heck of a machine. It costs nearly twice as much but it looks to be extremely well sorted out of the box. Havings suspension that adjusts on the fly to changing road conditions and how you are riding it is the holy grail as far as I am concerned. Heated grips and cruise control are a couple of nice extras as well. It really does look like the complete package.

I would love to see Yamaha offer a very upscale version of the FZ-09 with a similar set up but I doubt they will. If they would I would wait for it. Hard to beat Yamaha quality.

So, how about it, anyone else here consider the BMW before picking up their FZ?

·
Registered
280 Posts
They would apply these technologies to an R1 several years before it was ever applied to a bike like the 09. New technologies go on their premier bikes then trickle down as they become more affordable to produce. The S1000 is in an entirely different league than the 09.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Not a chance of that for me. To me, that would be like trying to select two different cars....a Toyota Corolla or a BMW 535.....both have four wheels and will get you where you're going, but............

·
Registered
350 Posts
In a word, no. I like reliable, simple bikes I can work on myself. All the gee-whiz electronics are designed to allow a mortal to control way too much horsepower. Amazing bike I am sure but not for me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was looking at the RR before I bought th fz. There's a good chance the single R will be my next bike.

Sent via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The BMW is nice. I was looking at an F800GS, the Ducati Monster, and the Street Triple R.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you can afford--and are willing--to spend double the price of the FZ on a bike, then yeah... there are far better options, which the S1000R is one of. If I had the means, I'd hold out for the EBR Streetfighter coming out, though. Having ridden an 1190RX at a demo event, I would LOVE a nekkie version.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Beemers are nice... they make about 6-8 grand on every one... this Yamaha feels like the Nissan Sentra of 1994?, Road and Track named it one of the 10 best cars in the world.... not the best, but a screamin' package that is really fun, not too scary... . There were other cars, faster, better suspension, leather seats, turbo-charged.... ur choice.... hope u love the beemer dealer...

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
A buddy of mine totalled his S1000RR at a track day. It tumbled like a tinker toy throwing body parts everywhere. I thought that he was going to cry. The current crop of superbikes are too much bike, too much money, and unusable in the real world as far as I am concerned. I am glad that I survived to my ripe old age to come to that conclusion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ditto on the EBR Streetfighter (history of Buells here, love em'). However, I wanted something now, and I loved the price and performance of the FZ-09 as advertised and reviewed. My FZ-09 is 100% stock. I bought it two months ago and it has 2,500 miles on it now. I plan on upgrading the suspension and having Stoltec flash the ECU, but for now it's stock. My first track day (ever) was last Tuesday at Sonoma Raceway (Sears Point to us old guys) and yes, I was in the novice group (C). However, I passed every single Italian and German bike on the track, and with the original stock Bridgestone tires (with 2k+ miles). Only a Suzuki Bandit 1200 passed me the whole day (that guy was really good). I'm obviously not that good, first day and I have a lot to learn. I attribute the great results to the bike. The torque delivered even when not in the right gear is very forgiving and will pull you out of corners like crazy. So there's plenty of room for improvement, AND without doing anything to the bike. I love the BMW S1000R and RR, but I can't afford them or the ridiculous maintenance cost.

Sorry, back to your point, have I considered the S1000R? No, not really. :)

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
In Aus, bmw marketed the s1000rr by letting you do a session at Sydney Motorsport park (eastern creek raceway) for $50 to show why your bike is shit and you need the Beemer. I t was fugging awesome at the track, but would be stupid on the road. Hands near my knees and feet near my hips. But mindblowingly good, like the hand of god pushing you in the back when you open the throttle.
When my brother was looking for a new bike, we test rode the ktm 1290 super duke, the aprilia tuono, and the naked s1000R.
The KTM was completely mental, all or nothing Tarmac terrorist. The same seating position as my old 640SM, and my current MT09.
The tuono was a thug in a suit, a bit smoother, but the v4 still had some animal left.
The bmw looked good on paper, but was shit in reality. Pegs said lean forward, bars said lean back - it comes with heated handgrips. I would take the KTM if it was my money, but my brother ended up with the tuono. Smooth like the bmw, but still a bit angry. And the v4 sounds great, even with the stock exhaust.
The bmw is a touring bike, it doesn't excite me in any way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In Aus, bmw marketed the s1000rr by letting you do a session at Sydney Motorsport park (eastern creek raceway) for $50 to show why your bike is shit and you need the Beemer. I t was fugging awesome at the track, but would be stupid on the road. Hands near my knees and feet near my hips. But mindblowingly good, like the hand of god pushing you in the back when you open the throttle.
When my brother was looking for a new bike, we test rode the ktm 1290 super duke, the aprilia tuono, and the naked s1000R.
The KTM was completely mental, all or nothing Tarmac terrorist. The same seating position as my old 640SM, and my current MT09.
The tuono was a thug in a suit, a bit smoother, but the v4 still had some animal left.
The bmw looked good on paper, but was shit in reality. Pegs said lean forward, bars said lean back - it comes with heated handgrips. I would take the KTM if it was my money, but my brother ended up with the tuono. Smooth like the bmw, but still a bit angry. And the v4 sounds great, even with the stock exhaust.
The bmw is a touring bike, it doesn't excite me in any way.
EDIT: Just disconnect the Exhaust valve on the tuono and the sound will be mental

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would have to go with bmw k1200r ... That is probably going to happen at some point for me

·
Registered
150 Posts
For a brief moment I considered one... but then I remembered I wanted something more upright, naked in design, and something that is much less likely to kill me lol. I absolutely LOVE those S1000RR's, and even more so the absolutely awesome HP4 (if you can find one), but it wasn't the type of bike I was after. I loved my CBR600RR that I owned before my FZ-09, but it would get tiring on longer rides due to the riding position. I knew I'd be dealing with that same problem on the S1000RR if I tried to get one. As others mentioned too, the price tag is steep and it's really more bike than I need, even if I would love to have one. I respect them and love them, but the FZ and S1000RR are really 2 different machines with different purposes. Maybe if I had money laying around to turn it into a dedicated track bike, but I wanted something I could live with every day.

Edit: Sorry, misread the thread as the S1000RR, not S1000R!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I saw the S1000R (only one R!) the other day and it wasn't as beautiful as it was in the pictures.

The bike is photogenic but definitely not worth the extra cash. The rider said he was looking for the FZ-09 and couldn't find one and got sold on the R. I wonder if he would have taken a trade for mine...

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you're going to spend that kind of $money$ but prefer ergonomics like that of an FZ9, go for the Ducati Multistrada 1200. I test rode a friends one and thoroughly enjoy it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I want the S1000R. If there wasn't a baby on the way - I'd have one in the driveway.

That or the Husqua Nuda 900 (more comparable to an FZ...with the same rotex (tuned for better performance) as the BMW F800R).

As someone whose owned two beeemers; I'll tell you right now they make EXCELLENT machines!

That said, the FZ09 is in a different class.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts