Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YouTube is starting to fill up with review videos of the MT-07. Although most are in French, Italian, or German, some English versions are now posted.

I am really liking what I see. The bike appears plenty capable and has old school controls instead of throttle by wire. (sorry, I'm just not a fan of that system)

I'm still hoping Yamaha with make an FZ version for North America.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I watched some of the other videos. It appears the MT-07 will still lift the front wheel fairly easily. Just not through the gears like the 09. I also like a good old fashion throttle cable.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yamaha is STUPID for not bringing the 07 to the states. Even Honda has recently announce that they will be bringing their naked 650cc (CB650F) to the states because of the high sales of the FZ-09. Come on Yamaha get with it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Weird frame. Not liking so much the conventional telescopic forks. Why no USD? And strange tank. The exhaust looks a little.......scooterish. Engine looks nice though.

But loving, absolutely loving, the gauge cluster. Fantastic. Hopefully it may be an option later down the track to interchange. Very smart looking, would look quite at home on the 09. However........would remove some of the quirkiness of the bike and may not even fit.

Cant stand the sound of twins either really. Having owned them before, great for torque.....nothing on the 09 though lol.....but the sound that goes with the twins is just.....bland IMO. One of those sounds you either love or hate really.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
But for the fz09, the mt07 would be on the top of my list...if it came to the us. But we do have the 9...IMO I own the greatest bike made by man....I really feel that way. I've stopped lusting after cars, I've stopped drooling over ducati's...I just dream about my next ride on my own, neatly modded FZ09

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my 09 but I have two co-workers holding out in hopes that the 07 comes stateside. I bet it would sell well here at the right price - say $6,500ish.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my 09 but I have two co-workers holding out in hopes that the 07 comes stateside. I bet it would sell well here at the right price - say $6,500ish.
I'm still holding out hope, if it comes here for your price, Honda's 650 would be all but dead in the water.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Cool bike, but I still prefer the insanity of the 09. The flyby at the end just sounds dirty I love the sound of parallel twins almost as much as I like the triple sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I've test driven it a couple of times now and in comparison to the Kawasaki ER (F). Obviously it's not a direct comparison as the Kawaka has a fairing. but...

I posted the following on a Youtube vid and am adding it here if anyone is interested...

First thing you notice is just how light and compact the bike is, feels more like a 250 than a bike over twice that capacity.

Next thing you notice is the awful silencer that strangles what would otherwise be a very throaty and off beat sound, Such a shame but I suppose only to be expected nowadays. Shouldn't be long before there are alternatives though.

Riding the bike can best be described as a whole load of fun. The wide range of power, the light weight and nimble handling make for a brilliant street bike. Power to weight ratio is perfect for blipping around getting through the traffic and it's small enough to squeeze through to the front of the queue then shoot off into the distance on one, (or even two wheels if you're into that sort of thing). Brakes are also really good and the back brake proves really useful in traffic.

On the A-B roads this thing is absolutely brilliant. All that midrange power makes the twisties and overtaking traffic almost effortless. You also get the feeling there would be a great overrun sound from the exhaust, if only it would let it out.

Up to about 70mph the wind isn't really a problem but at much over 80 you find yourself concentrating on hanging on and so riding becomes more of a chore than fun.

Therein lies the problem with motorway or dual carriageway riding. Not much point in having a bike that does 120mph if you couldn't hang on to it.for more than ten minutes at anything above 80. Though, to be fair, I guess that's missing the point a little. This is a point and squirt bike, with plenty of squirt. A decent screen would certainly help if you wanted to do any distance riding.

I test rode both the Yam and the ER6 F which is the obvious competitor. The main difference is the fun factor of the Yam. It wins hands down in just about every respect, except perhaps the option of a fairing on the ER if you want to do distance work. One thing you can do on the Kawasaki is 100mph without being blown off the bike. Yamaha REALLY need to sort a decent screen option for the MT... and soon.

The Kwaka certainly feels safe and secure, a bit like sex with the wife. The Yam on the other hand feels like having a mistress... half your age... and in to bondage.

I suppose that part of the reason it seems so powerful is that it's a 700cc bike that feels like a 250 and it's hard to get your head round that your riding a mid range bike because your brain is convinced it's a 250. I've no doubt there are faster 700cc bikes, but they feel like 700cc bikes and this certainly doesn't.

As for the price, similar to the Kawaka and at just over five grand, it's a steal (though the Kawaka is available on 0% here in the UK.

I should mention the new Honda or the (old) Suzuki but I haven't ridden either and, to be honest, have little or no interest in doing so.

One minor complaint, At 51 yrs old apparently I'm not Yamahas target market. (probably the Honda). Well don't start digging my grave yet Yamaha, Even a middle aged (and slightly overweight) bloke knows how to enjoy riding a motorcycle.

Well that's my entirely unbiased and unprofessional review (no I don't work for Yamaha though am willing to accept a huge discount for saying such nice things about your bike) ;-) Hope you enjoyed it.

Best advice I can give is...

Go out and ride one,,, If you don't enjoy it then you're probably already dead.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Well I've test driven it a couple of times now and in comparison to the Kawasaki ER (F). Obviously it's not a direct comparison as the Kawaka has a fairing. but...

I posted the following on a Youtube vid and am adding it here if anyone is interested...

First thing you notice is just how light and compact the bike is, feels more like a 250 than a bike over twice that capacity.

Next thing you notice is the awful silencer that strangles what would otherwise be a very throaty and off beat sound, Such a shame but I suppose only to be expected nowadays. Shouldn't be long before there are alternatives though.

Riding the bike can best be described as a whole load of fun. The wide range of power, the light weight and nimble handling make for a brilliant street bike. Power to weight ratio is perfect for blipping around getting through the traffic and it's small enough to squeeze through to the front of the queue then shoot off into the distance on one, (or even two wheels if you're into that sort of thing). Brakes are also really good and the back brake proves really useful in traffic.

On the A-B roads this thing is absolutely brilliant. All that midrange power makes the twisties and overtaking traffic almost effortless. You also get the feeling there would be a great overrun sound from the exhaust, if only it would let it out.

Up to about 70mph the wind isn't really a problem but at much over 80 you find yourself concentrating on hanging on and so riding becomes more of a chore than fun.

Therein lies the problem with motorway or dual carriageway riding. Not much point in having a bike that does 120mph if you couldn't hang on to it.for more than ten minutes at anything above 80. Though, to be fair, I guess that's missing the point a little. This is a point and squirt bike, with plenty of squirt. A decent screen would certainly help if you wanted to do any distance riding.

I test rode both the Yam and the ER6 F which is the obvious competitor. The main difference is the fun factor of the Yam. It wins hands down in just about every respect, except perhaps the option of a fairing on the ER if you want to do distance work. One thing you can do on the Kawasaki is 100mph without being blown off the bike. Yamaha REALLY need to sort a decent screen option for the MT... and soon.

The Kwaka certainly feels safe and secure, a bit like sex with the wife. The Yam on the other hand feels like having a mistress... half your age... and in to bondage.

I suppose that part of the reason it seems so powerful is that it's a 700cc bike that feels like a 250 and it's hard to get your head round that your riding a mid range bike because your brain is convinced it's a 250. I've no doubt there are faster 700cc bikes, but they feel like 700cc bikes and this certainly doesn't.

As for the price, similar to the Kawaka and at just over five grand, it's a steal (though the Kawaka is available on 0% here in the UK.

I should mention the new Honda or the (old) Suzuki but I haven't ridden either and, to be honest, have little or no interest in doing so.

One minor complaint, At 51 yrs old apparently I'm not Yamahas target market. (probably the Honda). Well don't start digging my grave yet Yamaha, Even a middle aged (and slightly overweight) bloke knows how to enjoy riding a motorcycle.

Well that's my entirely unbiased and unprofessional review (no I don't work for Yamaha though am willing to accept a huge discount for saying such nice things about your bike) ;-) Hope you enjoyed it.

Best advice I can give is...

Go out and ride one,,, If you don't enjoy it then you're probably already dead.
Well thanks for that. You might as well have given us here in the U.S. a swirl lollipop laced with strychnine. Thanks for the taste but we're screwed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If the -07 is that good, then don't you think it will eventually get here? I watched the ride video and it looks like a neat little bike and it's light which to me is a big plus. It weighs about the same as my old Bonnevile with about 2x the hp and probably about the same mpg's. With a nice exhaust, the sound from the offset crank would be Ducati like, nice! I can see picking up one of these in a few years either used or from a salvage yard and putting that engine in a street tracker frame with a 750 kit and total up wt. of around 300-320#, that would be awesome. Stock it would make a good all around machine and would have been considered a "BIG" bike back when I started riding Triumphs...hope they bring it here...Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well thanks for that. You might as well have given us here in the U.S. a swirl lollipop laced with strychnine. Thanks for the taste but we're screwed.
Don't blame me... You need to talk to Mr Yamaha about that.

As for why a company that, has been struggling to produce the right bikes for a few years now, but then comes up with something that is (arguably) best in class, would want to keep it from, what I'd assume would be, the largest market in the world...

It's beyond me.

I can't imagine they've developed a whole new engine for one bike so I'd expect a faired version and (according to my local dealer) a trail/supermoto version in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
From what i've read on the interweb (it's all true... right?) , Yamaha's challenge was building the right bike at the right price. They have made great products, but the price has not inspired as it should. With the FZ09, that has all changed. Price/performance totally sold me on this bike. Sure, it isn't perfect... but it's amazing for the price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
One thing you guys could do is go to the Yamaha-motor.eu website and give some feedback on bringing it to USA (if you think it might help). There is a 'Design Cafe' section where you can find 'What do you think' of the MT-07. Somehow among some of the questions comment boxes you might be able to tell them: "Bring it to USA". Mind you, they are probably already reading comments on here.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts