Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An Open letter to Yamaha

I tried to find an email address for your American motorcycle division to no avail so I am hoping to get your attention this way.
I am sure that you have done studies after market research after study but in my opinion your executives someplace in the chain of command are missing out on a great opportunity. You have a way to both increase your bottom line and at the same time make your customers happier and even more loyal. I am sure that you already have figures of the amount of money that your average customer spends on after market accessories and even broken down by gender, age, income, location, etc., never the less what your charts and graphs don’t seem to be showing you is what happens when customers are even more satisfied with your product because of the accessibility of not only accessories but when options were available to different levels of equipment.

If you will peruse this site you will see the number of people that are looking for suspension upgrades for example. I have noticed several things about the design of the FZ-09 that was overlooked. Your engineers should have planned on your customers wanting to add windshields and luggage. Neither is a straight forward process, especially for a windscreen. This bike is a big seller because of the base price I know. If it had all the goodies already included I agree it would probably not be selling half as well but by making them available and by engineering into the bikes design accessible mounting points you will increase sells a lot. By increasing sales you increase loyalty and buy increasing loyalty you increase sales…a big happy circle for everyone. The sport bike division is not in direct competition with Harley but learn from their way of doing business.

One other thing, a good way to show that you care about your customers would be to become a sponsor of this website and hopefully include a bitch/praise/comment email address even if you post that you can not answer any emails….you could even ignore them but at least we would have a way to express ourselves and have some hope that someone out there in cyber space is listening.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
this is a first gen of a brand new bike. I've been a marketing consultant to several fortune 500 companies for the last 6 years. One thing i can tell you is no company blows their load on the first gen of anything.

If this were true, they would have very abrupt period of diminishing returns. The bike is selling well (they've double production) without the need of accessories or suspension upgrades. In some situations, having too much demand and not enough supply is actually a bad thing. Potential customers get fed up and buy something else.

Holding out on stuff like suspension allows for broader expansion across several years of a products evolution. This is the same reason why Apple has taken so long to adopt certain technologies - it's not that it was overlooked or they didn't have the capacity to include it. It's all about marketing and supply and demand.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
just some input from a marketing nerd :)

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just some input from a marketing nerd :)
I did learn something from your perspective and I can see both the advantages and pitfalls.
I guess they have to be very conservative with new products but I do wish that their engineers and product planners would get together and anticipate people wanting and needing to add accessories like a windscreen and design in mounting points; that would not take that much time or production cost.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
it's an incredibly fine line:

Some consumers are willing to forgive short comings for cheaper prices. Others are willing to pay a premium for a better product. The majority fall into the cost saving group vs. premium group.

For Yamaha it's all about numbers and knowing you can't please everyone so how do they market a product that appeals to the broadest audience.

Clients pay me a ton to help them figure this all out.

I like being a member on sites like this to see everyone's psychology of why they buy the things they decide to purchase. Many think they are unique buyers, but everyone can be segmented and targeted.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
While I agree that they are missing sales opportunities, and not just aftermarket/accessory sales - you have lines of people on the west coast waiting for these bikes, and even out-bidding each other to get one, and then you have some sitting collecting dust on the east coast because nobody can ride there right now anyway.

- BUT -

Honestly, I'm just glad they decided to release this bike in America at all. Europe usually gets all of the cool bikes, and especially the naked ones (historically, naked sport bikes have not sold well in the USA).

Yamaha sales (and motorcycle sales in general) have not been great with the economy in the shitter. This bike was quite a gamble for them, especially in the American market.... so I can understand why they didn't invest in having an entire accessory line available from day one. And can you imagine trying to convince already hurting dealerships to stock accessories for a brand new model that nobody knew was going to succeed or not?

I guarantee you that there was not a single aspect of this bike that was "overlooked" by Yamaha or its engineers. The company NEEDS this bike to succeed. Part of helping to guarantee its success was the price point. I would not be shocked if Yamaha is already selling this thing at a loss.

Now...

How about the genius of "Demand Creation"?

I just saw American Hustle last night, so I'm going to quote it here: "the more you say 'no' to people, the more they want in"

I think the lack of availability is helping fan the frenzy of people wanting the bike and spurring sales.

...and then there's one of the other aspects of "Demand Creation"

- Building a Steep Trajectory of Improvement -

A product's launch is merely the first step in a series of attacks upon the indifference of the market. On launch day, great demand creators jump into the next phase by asking themselves: How fast can we get better? While rivals might focus on technical improvements, demand creators know that there are at least four dimensions of improvement that matter: Technical (performance, design, capacity), emotional, affordability (productivity enhancements, lower price, better value), and content (new add-ons, plug-ins, deeper library). Every improvement they make will unlock new layers of demand, and leave less open space for imitative competitors.

I think we can all agree that this bike could get much better really quick :D

·
Registered
659 Posts
I am always intrigued at how opinions can differ so much on the same subject. To me, this is one of the best "thought out" bikes that I have seen in a long time. Such as:

-Threaded inserts built into the lower section of the subframe for aftermarket luggage support options.
-To further above, there are a number of relatively usable mount holes scattered throughout subframe for mounting who knows what
-If you look closely at the steering stem section of the frame you will see two holes, spaced approximately 4" inches apart, that look identical to those used for fairing stay supports on the FZ6 and FZ1 series...Coincidence?
-For running auxiliary components not only did they install a usable connector, there is seemingly endless amount of space in and around the airbox/frame for wire routing, HID ballast mounting, Horn compressor supporting, etc...

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I may be biased as my previous two bikes, the FZ1 and FZ6 respectively, had very little in the way of "Extra Space" and nearly all mounting options were ideas from the private sector aftermarket group. I mean, take a look at the Yamaha accessory options of the long-in-the-tooth FZ1, 3-pages of mainly generic add-ons for a bike that has been in production for over 8-Years; There is almost more available for the FZ-09!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Keep in mind too, while they could potentially be making more money on accessories, they are also getting free press from external vendors pushing availability of aftermarket stuff. Anytime a vendor talks about the FZ09 that's free marketing that didn't cost Yamaha a dollar.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I am always intrigued at how opinions can differ so much on the same subject. To me, this is one of the best "thought out" bikes that I have seen in a long time. Such as:

-Threaded inserts built into the lower section of the subframe for aftermarket luggage support options.
-To further above, there are a number of relatively usable mount holes scattered throughout subframe for mounting who knows what
-If you look closely at the steering stem section of the frame you will see two holes, spaced approximately 4" inches apart, that look identical to those found for fairing stay supports on the FZ6 and FZ1 series...Coincidence?
-For running auxiliary components not only did they install a usable connector, there is seemingly endless amount of space in and around the airbox/frame for wire routing, HID ballast mounting, Horn compressor supporting, etc...

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I may be biased as my previous two bikes, the FZ1 and FZ6 respectively, had very little in the way of "Extra Space" and nearly all mounting options were ideas from the private sector aftermarket group. I mean, take a look at the Yamaha accessory options of the long-in-the-tooth FZ1, 3-pages of mainly generic add-ons for a bike that has been in production for over 8-Years; There is almost more available for the FZ-09!
Good points all!

I still have my FZ6 that I converted into a sport-tourer, so I have no desire to add anything to this bike in the way of luggage or electrical goodies, etc. and hadn't even noticed potential mounting points. I did notice the accessory connector, which I thought was a really nice touch.

...and the gear indicator is really nice. First bike I've owned that had one.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Here are my humble and unsolicited suggestions: :)
1) Edit the letter down to four sentences so it's more easily understood.
2) Mail it to Yamaha USA; here's the address: Contact Us
3) Allow the forum owners to propose and negotiate any potential agreements that involve the forum serving as a customer relations venue for Yamaha USA.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I want to add that that if PJ's letter resulted in a real Yamaha rep residing on this forum to communicate with members, that would be very cool!

This type of communication and support seems to be more common with corporations selling their products to businesses, but I suppose that it's still possible.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here are my humble and unsolicited suggestions: :)
1) Edit the letter down to four sentences so it's more easily understood.
2) Mail it to Yamaha USA; here's the address: Contact Us
3) Allow the forum owners to propose and negotiate any potential agreements that involve the forum serving as a customer relations venue for Yamaha USA.
I had already found that contact us page and there are no email addresses.
Did you ever try to call? hold hold hold hold disconnect hold hold hold wrong department hehe
repeat 12 more times

I was not trying to negotiate anything, just making a suggestion.

I know that I am not the best writer and I did not attempt to edit/re-edit just wanted to get my feelings off my chest.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yamaha Sport Contact Us

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630

Sales, marketing and distribution of Motorcycles, ATVs, Snowmobiles and Race Kart Engines.

Customer Relations
(800) 962-7926

·
Registered
112 Posts
I like being a member on sites like this to see everyone's psychology of why they buy the things they decide to purchase. Many think they are unique buyers, but everyone can be segmented and targeted.
I'm long past reasoning out my impulse purchases (the FZ-09 was one). I need and can justify a big truck to pull the horse trailer ... and I need and can justify a tractor to maintain roads, build barns, set fenceposts, maintain pasture, etc. The FZ-09/Yamaha is beneficiary of that salivating, completely unreasonable, little voice in my cranium that yells GIMME GIMME GIMME when it sees something awesome that it wants but has absolutely (and I mean absolutely) no reasonable justification for purchasing it.

Man, is this thing a fun bike. No justification required. Accessories be damned, someone will find a way to put stuff on it and I'll pay 'em to do it. Yamaha didn't have to market it to me, all I had to do was see it once. I loaded it into my truck within two hours of first seeing it without so much as a test drive. The $6900 price tag certainly didn't hurt, but definintely could've been put to other use.

So off topic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wanted to convey my initial thoughts on the 09 to Yamaha but I never found an email address either. So I posted
my email content as has been done here (on another 09 forum - before I discovered this one!).
There must surely be someone inside Yamaha whose job it is to frequently and regularly pop into these forums to see how their
products are being received. What easier way to collect some feedback?
You can also use their own website's 'design cafe' to tell them by answering questions.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Feel better now?

It's only been out for about half a year here...new everything in this bike on a budget. I would have to say IMHO that they did a damn good job for a first run.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
for you Lamborghini aficionados... You can't sell the superleggera without selling some gallardos first.

Reactions: zloikish

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts