Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my oil last night since having 700 miles. Did not have a oil wrench to pull filter off so I did the next best thing, drove a screwdriver thru very end of it and rotated it off.

Fine and dandy...... but I drove the friggin screwdriver too far and into the coolant thingamabob beside it. Yes it did penetrate it and I lost a few drops of coolant.

Being a man of resources. Found some JB underwater compound, mixed it up and patched hole. To further enhance the repair and my confidence in the patch, I made a circular rubber seal out of a rubber tie down and secured it over the patched hole with a hose clamp. Resourceful engineering at its best or worst.

It hasn't leaked a drop of coolant. Should get me buy till I can replace that coolant thingamabob.

Needless to say, I had to keep my cool as my 13 year old son was learning what not to do. If he hadn't been there, neighbors would have been covering their kids ears to say the least....

Lesson learned.....if you have to use the screwdriver method, be sure not to drive it too far thru oil filter....

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I could swear your not the first to do this. I know someone else on here has done this before.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
a few others mention this elsewhere - I'm not an expert but I personally wouldn't recommend ramming a screwdriver through anything - if you dropped $8,000 on the bike - spend 4 bucks and get yourself a oil filter wrench. Or buy K&N oil filters that have the nut socket on the end of them for future filters.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yes, another forum member did the same "oops" months ago, I believe it was Stellmon.

I used big Channel Locks. (Yes Doug, a kind of pliers. ;) )

·
Registered
150 Posts
I could not for the life of me get my oil filter off by hand when I did my first oil change at 300 miles... I don't know if I'm the only one but I found the room in which I had to rotate my hand was VERY limited. Yamaha really torqued that filter on from the factory. I ended up using an oil filter strap wrench that I had in my garage and was able to easily remove it that way. If people are looking for a good way to remove their filter, I'd recommend using a strap wrench.

Glad you were able to get it all patched up for now, I too would have been really mad!

·
Registered
294 Posts
a few others mention this elsewhere - I'm not an expert but I personally wouldn't recommend ramming a screwdriver through anything - if you dropped $8,000 on the bike - spend 4 bucks and get yourself a oil filter wrench. Or buy K&N oil filters that have the nut socket on the end of them for future filters.
I bought both ;)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
FurY, yes both the filter and drain bolt were really tight from the factory. If I recall right I tried a strap wrench and it wouldn't do it. I put the new filter on old-style, hand tight.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree Beck. There are better choices. I was not prepared for the oil filter to be on with red loctite....Didnt know about the KN filter with nut. Next change will have this.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oil cooler.

ASK ABOUT THE FIZZER CCT KIT

ASK ABOUT THE FIZZER SEAT SNUGGY KIT
Anybody know how much a new one is? I have a buddy who can weld aluminum and sell it for fine art. THink it would be ok to patch weld it?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I agree Beck. There are better choices. I was not prepared for the oil filter to be on with red loctite....Didnt know about the KN filter with nut. Next change will have this.
obviously the K&N wouldn't have helped you on this one - but they are easier for future installs - hopefully you hand tightened the new one - it shouldn't be hard to get off with an oil filter wrench for subsequent changes now.

They did torque the shit out of the factor one - but its still manageable to pop off with a wrench if you work at it and the worst that can happen is you scuff up the filter vs. drive a screwdriver into your bikes innards :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Figured some people get a kick out of my dumba$$ story. Why I decided to be so transparent is beyond me.

New filter is just hand tight like it should have been. Pretty sure the fix I engineered will probably outlast me. If it doesn't, its just going to be welded.

Thanks for all your comments and ideas

-Shagginator out-

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
In '78 the bolt holding the gear on the end of a shaft in my Honda CB400F spun out and punched a hole in the side case. I tightened the bolt and epoxied the piece back into the hole, it held fine.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Figured some people get a kick out of my dumba$$ story. Why I decided to be so transparent is beyond me.

New filter is just hand tight like it should have been. Pretty sure the fix I engineered will probably outlast me. If it doesn't, its just going to be welded.

Thanks for all your comments and ideas

-Shagginator out-
I've certainly done a fair amount of similar things!

Sent from my hot secretary, dictated but not read

·
Registered
833 Posts
My filter was wrench was to big. Used channel locks. Hand tightened replacement.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts