Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'15
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried one of these? Can't find much about them online, but they are so cheap I'm both tempted and reluctant to buy one and try it... (under $200 CDN with a coupon clipped on there right now)

Musical instrument Blue Purple Violet Office supplies
Bicycle part Auto part Tool Nickel Metal

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,420 Posts
Figure that they last a year or 2. You can buy 5 or 6 times compared to the $1000 - 1200 units. I have had inexpensive Delkevic systems on my current and previous bikes and I'm relatively impressed. I never bought in to the hype that a $1200 exhaust is vastly superior. I've looked closely and don't see huge gaps in quality. With Chinese stuff you always have to worry about poor metallurgy.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
They both look like a copy of my SC Special Project factory exhaust ! I would go for it..they are china copy cat down to the metal tag attached on the can..the worst thing that it is welded wrong and will not fit the exhaust ports but I really do not see that as a problem !! BUT if it is a true copy and sound the same as my SC be WARNED it WILL be very LOUD !!!
I say Go for it !!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't mind buying cheap stuff - I have a Delkevic on my older Honda - but my time is valuable, if it breaks off on a highway after a few months, or rusts through due to poor quality of the metal, it's false savings for me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the Akro Carbon knockoff. The only things that look cheap on it is the hardware and the carbon looks like it's just hydrodipped. Fitment was good, just like with any other system you have to be patient. I plan to get an Austin Racing system later down the road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Akro Carbon knockoff. The only things that look cheap on it is the hardware and the carbon looks like it's just hydrodipped. Fitment was good, just like with any other system you have to be patient. I plan to get an Austin Racing system later down the road.
Same, first pic is freshly installed in May and 2nd pic w/Grom is towards end of summer with a CF can. Held up well so far and sounds great to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
1,081 Posts
Usually the biggest differences are quality of metal, thickness of metal used, and headers with seams. I've ran cheap headers on cars that were knockoffs which carry these traits. Some failed and some held up. Climate and care plays into it. Fitment is usually pretty good as they are buying the same tooling just not the same quality materials.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a full Chinese exhaust because I couldn't justify dropping 1k on an exhaust. The only problem I had was that it doesn't line up with the exhaust ports exactly which took some persuasion to line up. Turns into a brown color after its cured but it gets ugly so you would need to clean it more often. I also changed out the muffler because it was just a cheap and ugly looking.

·
Registered
'15
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was debating getting a slip-on, but if I start getting hassled by the law around here I want to be able to swap my stock exhaust back on. I don't expect this to be top-notch quality but hopefully it'll last a few years.

·
Registered
'15
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Exhaust arrived today, first impressions, looks good! Welds are nice, seems decent... except when you try to fit it on the bike. I had to hammer, pull, push, and grind in order to get the headers on the bike. So I think the hard part is done... I also had to grind the rear bracket down in order for it to fit. Just need to fit on the mid-pipe and muffler and fire it up now!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts