Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The FZ-09 seat is hard with sharp angles most know this, others will discover it.
I purchased an AirHawk DS cushion to help until I get the seat that calls to me. But I realized something after I installed the Tech Spec tank pads from Soltech: I kind of like the seat now.

I'm not saying a better seat isn't in order. What I am saying is that my discomfort due to hot spots since installing the tank pads is diminished significantly. The FZ has tremendous acceleration torque and engine breaking (which I like especially when you hit the unexpected speed trap!) which contribute to butt soreness via hot spots. Not to be confused with hard plank tail bone pain, which the FZ can deliver later in the ride.

Im saying that I can average over an hour on the OEM seat without flinching. I'm expecting to be able to stay on this saddle for over three hours without thinking about it: is this the holy grail I seek then. Do I pine for something that does not exist in the realm of good bike feel and long lasting comfort?

Am I delusional, and throwing good money after bad ideology of seat comfort expectations is foolish?

My reason for posting this is that I was talking with a biker today on a cruiser and he said that he spent a small fortune on finding a longevity seat only to find relief during gas station fueling's!!!!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You'll run out of gas before you're in the saddle for three hours anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
There is a lot of info in the Gear and Accessories section.....check it out! Please, let's not do another seat thread here in the General section!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Lots of seat issues can be resolved by seating position and whether or not you are gripping the tank with your knees as you should be.

Possibly what you are finding is the when you installed the tank grippers, you started pushing your knees into the tank more which does several things: tenses up your abdominal core and buttock muscles and maybe that is why your sat is more comfortable now?

Just a thought.

And I agree with the other guys there is lots of info about alternative seats and seat issues elsewhere and the search feature works quite well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a lot of info in the Gear and Accessories section.....check it out! Please, let's not do another seat thread here in the General section!
Why the to idea keep certain known issues from the mainstay of conversations? I'm not a troll. I'm an owner with a common issue. This is the kind of governess by non officials that would render the weak powerless. If I found a seat that was ??? or a ECU flash that was ???? or a suspension that was ??? or an exhaust that sounded ????? or a light mode that was ??? So based on what you think are appropriate general section topics, what can we talk about? I thought this was a forum about FZ-09's that new owners or potential new owners would find like I did. Yes searching the forum topics works but info happens daily too.

·
Registered
349 Posts

I think you can find one in the Cave of Caerbannog???

·
Registered
168 Posts
I believe my trouble with the seat is just the downward slope. I can readjust and fine for a little while, that kinda shows me that seat is not too firm or your butt would never quit hurting until u got off the seat all together. I've been looking and looking and have made my mind when i buy it will have less slope and be more level. Problem solved ride forever.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Why the to idea keep certain known issues from the mainstay of conversations? I'm not a troll. I'm an owner with a common issue. This is the kind of governess by non officials that would render the weak powerless. If I found a seat that was ??? or a ECU flash that was ???? or a suspension that was ??? or an exhaust that sounded ????? or a light mode that was ??? So based on what you think are appropriate general section topics, what can we talk about? I thought this was a forum about FZ-09's that new owners or potential new owners would find like I did. Yes searching the forum topics works but info happens daily too.
Okay..how do I put this so as not to offend-if the moderator of a forum, any forum, is asking to not have multiple threads started on the same topic, there's probably a good reason for asking. In this case, while many of us may find the info contained within that thread useful, if there exists multiple threads on essentially the same topic, and with the size and membership of this forum growing daily, it becomes confusing to have to scroll through numerous identical threads which basically all contain the same information. If people are too lazy to spend the time searching out the correct thread for a particular piece of info, isn't starting a totally new, yet identical thread more confusing-requiring even more time spent searching? This is one of the best forums I've ever been a member of, with awesome, helpful members and super fair moderators. Essentially, without order there exists only chaos. Rules, Brah, rules. Not really asking that much...

·
Registered
833 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
I believe my trouble with the seat is just the downward slope. I can readjust and fine for a little while, that kinda shows me that seat is not too firm or your butt would never quit hurting until u got off the seat all together. I've been looking and looking and have made my mind when i buy it will have less slope and be more level. Problem solved ride forever.
I had the same gripe and a Seat Concepts cover/foam kit solved it. It looks stock and works great!
I installed mine myself. But, for $25 or so, an upholstery shop can handle it or Seat Concepts will do it for you, too.
Vehicle Bicycle saddle Tire Automotive tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle accessories

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
OK, I guess you seriously don't "get it"!....so I'll explain with a quick analogy. Let's say you were an avid photographer and took hundreds of pictures a week...maybe hundreds a day. Then at the end of the day, you downloaded them into your computer under a file named.."Photos". Every single photo that you took went into the same file.....Photos. This goes on day after day, week after week. It doesn't take long to have thousands and thousands of photos in the "photo" file. Yep, you know that they are all there, but they are totally random and you have no organization to your file system. Then, you decide that you are going to organize them by ......"day or week", or maybe by "TOPIC". Now, all of a sudden when you get them organized, it is much easier to find a particular photo, because you know that all the photos that you too of a certain topic is.......in a file named about that topic.

Forums work the same way....through organized topics. NO ONE HERE is trying to " keep certain known issues from the mainstay of conversations", as you put it. It's a simple matter of Organization of topics in the correct location.

And this bit of poetic, philosophical, verbiage....." This is the kind of governess by non officials that would render the weak powerless", made me kind of chuckle.....actually, it made me laugh outloud! I'm picturing you standing in the public square, surrounded by fellow English commoners, trying to shout out to the Constable of the township, the citizens concern for the King not sharing information with the commoners..........way back in about 1542 A.D.

Anyway, welcome to 2014, the internet, and an explanation of how the Forums works!

Oh, and one more thing....here is a quote from you.... " I'm an owner with a common issue".
Maybe you should have put your post in the Thread titled.... FZ09 Common Problems/Issues.

Reactions: Don't Panic

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just got an email from Francois of Dual Sport Touring that my new seat has shipped, I am expecting it in on Monday. Based on the description and pic's posted by Vern it seemed like exactly what I needed to take away the "pain in my ass" on long rides.
Can not wait to see how it turned out.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Just got an email from Francois of Dual Sport Touring that my new seat has shipped, I am expecting it in on Monday. Based on the description and pic's posted by Vern it seemed like exactly what I needed to take away pain the "pain in my ass" on long rides.
Can not wait to see how it turned out.
I'm lovin my seat more and more, every time I take a ride on it. It's an awesome upgrade!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the same gripe and a Seat Concepts cover/foam kit solved it. It looks stock and works great!
I installed mine myself. But, for $25 or so, an upholstery shop can handle it or Seat Concepts will do it for you, too.
How hard was that to do? What tools are needed? I dig the look and the price.

·
Registered
159 Posts
How hard was that to do? What tools are needed? I dig the look and the price.
Screwdriver and Needlenose pliers (to remove the old cover)

Power Staple Gun (to install the new one)

It is pretty easy to do, the hardest thing is just removing all of the old stock staples - if you can manage that, you can do it.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Screwdriver and Needlenose pliers (to remove the old cover)

Power Staple Gun (to install the new one)

It is pretty easy to do, the hardest thing is just removing all of the old stock staples - if you can manage that, you can do it.
If I remove all the original staples, can I ship the remaining seat & parts to Vern for the Upgrade...???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts