Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I moved from Warwick, RI where I could walk right out of my yard and be at the beach, to Salt Lake City, UT. I have been very excited about the move as the east coast was just too populated and urban for my taste. Now I have found myself at 4,300 feet above sea level and all this week I have been asking myself, where did my torque go???? At sea level this bike felt more like a unicycle than a motorcycle. Now I can go WOT in A mode for second and third and the front tire grazes the ground. In first I the tire won't come up unless I am over 6k and wring the throttle, Clutch ups are hard in Second, and comes up, but not past balance point.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE...

At sea level I couldn't even open the throttle to a full half turn or the front would come flying up faster than was comfortable. But now I have to deliberately spin the throttle and the tire comes up slowly and controlled. I wonder if anyone has done any dyno runs at high altitude to see what the difference is? I don't know if it is the lack of air, or the lower octane fuels? I'm wondering If I should even try 89 instead of 91, but I don't want to risk it as others have reported issues with bad fuel on this bike.

In all the beast has been considerably tamed. EVEN A MODE DOESN'T FEEL SNATCHY ANYMORE. I still love it and for the type of riding I do on a daily basis, this bike still kicks butt, but I miss being able to do the impromptu hooliganism at the start or end of my commute when I need a little pick-me-up.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
At 4,000 feet above sea level....you'll need to alter the fuel to air mixture with a fuel controller Try the EJK from Dobeck.
The air is thinner at 4k feet...so even with the fuel controller it will be less hp than you had...but at least it will be better that it is now with a controller.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in Golden, CO. About 6000 feet. PCV and auto tune installed and I can roll the throttle in first to get the front in the air no problem.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I live in Golden, CO. About 6000 feet. PCV and auto tune installed and I can roll the throttle in first to get the front in the air no problem.
I'm in Lafayette, any chance we could meet up and I could see what you're talking about? If that's the case, PCV might be worth it!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Seems like there is a lot of us in Colorado. We should get together for a ride/ meet up before the weather turns. I'm in Lakewood.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Last week I moved from Warwick, RI where I could walk right out of my yard and be at the beach, to Salt Lake City, UT. I have been very excited about the move as the east coast was just too populated and urban for my taste. Now I have found myself at 4,300 feet above sea level and all this week I have been asking myself, where did my torque go???? At sea level this bike felt more like a unicycle than a motorcycle. Now I can go WOT in A mode for second and third and the front tire grazes the ground. In first I the tire won't come up unless I am over 6k and wring the throttle, Clutch ups are hard in Second, and comes up, but not past balance point.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE...

At sea level I couldn't even open the throttle to a full half turn or the front would come flying up faster than was comfortable. But now I have to deliberately spin the throttle and the tire comes up slowly and controlled. I wonder if anyone has done any dyno runs at high altitude to see what the difference is? I don't know if it is the lack of air, or the lower octane fuels? I'm wondering If I should even try 89 instead of 91, but I don't want to risk it as others have reported issues with bad fuel on this bike.

In all the beast has been considerably tamed. EVEN A MODE DOESN'T FEEL SNATCHY ANYMORE. I still love it and for the type of riding I do on a daily basis, this bike still kicks butt, but I miss being able to do the impromptu hooliganism at the start or end of my commute when I need a little pick-me-up.
Just ride down hill all the time, you will hardly notice it then....Lol.

Cali has alot of mountains so I experience this all the time. It is true you dont notice the power loss on down hill roads as much.

Dont forget to get ya a set of snow tires too.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
About 3% less oxygen per 1000 feet of elevation gain. The bike adjusts the fueling on it's own as you go up but nothing can compensate for thinner air. Except forced induction.

This is true. This is the same concept with piston powered aircraft. You have to lean the engine as altitude increases, so that it isn't running rich... However you cannot compensate for power loss due to altitude, without forced induction. This is why they install turbo chargers and superchargers on some piston aircraft. Unfortunately, you can lean the bike with a fuel controller to compensate for less oxygen, but you cannot compensate for power loss due to altitude without forced induction, period.

A bike at 4000' will never make the power that it will at sea level, regardless of the fuel controller. You need forced induction.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Very true. When I met Mladin in 99 the mechanics said they were down 29 hp from sea level. The top fuelers at Bandimere have to overdrive the blowers to get enough power. Almost every run you see a blower belt fly off at the end of the track. But I still wheelie the heck out of this thing so you boys need practice. Hawkerjet the snow tire comment is NOT funny. OK maybe a little. I live North in Firestone just East of Longmont and I am up for a ride. I have been thinking of asking Horsman, I think he lives around here too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can definitely still wheelie the machine but it takes a lot more throttle than it used to. I will have to find an empty road and practice, as my motor memory is set to the old feel at sea level. I felt that at about 1/3 throttle at any rpm range in first the tire would come up. But now I have to roll on up to about 5k then chop and punch it and then it flys right up. No problems with clutch ups other than more throttle and longer on the lever before dumping it. Minor things, just what to be expected from less power.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm currently running stock with no power commander or ECU flash or anything. And I'd guess with being at 5400ft elevation I'm down about 20% power compared to sea level. (I've heard 4-5% per 1000ft elevation.) Which means I'd be right around 85 hp at the wheel. I haven't dyno'd it so I'm not absolutely sure, mind you. My guess though, would be that with a PCV, and say... an m4 slip on, I could probably get it at least close to getting over 100hp at the wheel. Then I might finally know what it's like to throttle wheelie in 2nd and 3rd gear lol.

Thoughts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts