Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked in the owners manual and at the Yamaha website and nowhere have I seen the alternator output capacity listed.I don't have access to the equipement needed to load the system and get the numbers either.My main reason for this is I intend to install Clearwater driving lites-have them on my FJR and their great-and be able to power up my Gerbings and not worry about watching a voltmeter and playing watt miser. Jeff

·
Registered
962 Posts
There's not a lot left over if that's what you're asking. If you want to run additional lights or something then I'd switch your bulbs to LED and mount a charging indicator.

·
Registered
659 Posts
There's not a lot left over if that's what you're asking. If you want to run additional lights or something then I'd switch your bulbs to LED and mount a charging indicator.
I would start looking for a new higher output alternator.
Any idea what the system resource load is on this bike? Id be surprised if it is more than 18-20A based on my past experience with Yamammmaha's (FZ6 and FZ1). This would leave 9A+ or ~100-125Watts available for accessories. Seems decent to me :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
430 Watts is the same as a Gen 1 FJR-the Clearwaters are LED and put out better light than the dual headlights. I've only heard of people running into capacity problems running conventional aux lights or 2 up with heated gear.Plus the FZ only has a single headlight-saving 55 watts on hi beam and 1 less injector to drive.I should be ok. Thanks for the info. Jeff

·
Registered
32 Posts
Question, guys: I had a shop install some heated grips in the fall. When I put 'em on full power, after about 10 minutes when I twist the throttle the bike doesn't respond. It's like the bike feels ready to stall. I'm guessing the grips are over-taxing the alternator, right? If I turn the grips off, everything's fine.

I've also got running lights, but it doesn't seem to matter if they're off or on--bike runs ok. It's just the grips.

I've had other issues with the shop, and this was the final straw. I'll need to get this sorted out somewhere else come spring. I could use some advice as to what's going on and what people think would be the best fix. I'd like to keep the heated grips, ideally.

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question. Chalk it up to a rookie.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The grips are probably using 35 to 40watts - and the lights probably use more. If you use the grips but not the lights does it still do it? If you turn the grips or the lights off does it go back to normal immediately?

I would definitely recommend adding a voltmeter (L.E.D. Battery Gauge | Gauges & Instruments | Motorcycle Parts and Accessories for Harley, Metric & Goldwing | Küryakyn) - but I think it's something other than just overtaxing the alternator. What power are you using for the grips, and what for the auxiliary lights? The lights should have had a relay, a new power wire to the battery, and a fuse added. If they are both running off of the factory accessory power tap that was available then you need to rewire them. If the shop didn't tell you how they wired them then pop the seat and look for an extra wire connected to the battery with it's own fuse.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for this. The lights seem not to be a problem at all. The bike loses power only when I've got the grips on Max. It goes powerless even with the aux lights off.

thanks, again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts